passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Baldur's Gate 3

DisturbedSwan

Kotaku Article

Crosspost with @radiofloyd in the E3 2019 thread.

Are the developers behind my favorite role-playing game of the decade making a sequel to my favorite role-playing game of the decade before? It sure seems that way, as Larian Studios, makers of Divinity: Original Sin 2, are teasing news of a Baldur’s Gate 3.

e6mlfgq9ixh67ash7tav.png

This morning, Larian put up a teaser on the company’s website with a big ol’ three (see above), which led many of us to believe that Divinity: Original Sin 3 was en route. But some clever HTML snooping by Twitter user @kunkken (and confirmed by Kotaku) leads to a whole bunch of hints that this is Baldur’s Gate 3, officially licensed from Dungeons & Dragons makers Wizards of the Coast.

Before I go any further, allow me to make a brief digression. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Okay, carrying on. The original Baldur’s Gate trilogy, which ended in 2001, is largely regarded as one of the best role-playing game series ever made. It’s renowned for its brilliant design and writing, and even today, Baldur’s Gate 2 holds up pretty damn well. The Canadian developer Beamdog, best known for making enhanced editions of old Infinity Engine games like Baldur’s Gate and its ilk, had teased a Baldur’s Gate 3 many times, but that never got off the ground. If the makers of Divinity: Original Sin 2—perhaps Baldur’s Gate 2's greatest successor—are really making a new one, this might be the news of the year.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are some scary looking Mind Flayers.

Only had time to flick through the long gameplay demonstration but it looks beautiful enough. Looks like it’s going to be Larian’s biggest game yet. The cinematic screamed Baldur’s Gate but the game itself looked very much like Divinity. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. To me Divinity: Original Sin seemed like a modern reimagining of Ultima so it will be interesting to see if BG3 continues that. 

I think the chances that this will be anything less than excellent are pretty slim. It makes me want to play Original Sin 2.

I won't get too excited until they announce the console ports.

Sadly this suggests that PS4/XBox One/NS ports are unlikely:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview

As for DoS2 - it wasn't for me quite as much fun as DoS, especially (and I'll mention this every time) due to the overuse of necrofire as an environmental combat effect in large parts of the later gameplay.

This game sounds great from how it got explained on the beastcast. Specifically the strategies that the demo players were using to deal with failed dice rolls, so a sub-optimal combat encounter can be very interesting with lots of diverse options. I've always struggled with CRPG combat though and it's only stuff like Planescape torment and Disco Elysium that I've been able to stick with cause of their focus on story over fighting. BG has always pushed me back, I hope this will be different.

Eyeball worms stuff, not a fan of that. Eyeballs getting fucked up in media is my version of spider fear.

5 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

I won't get too excited until they announce the console ports. Sadly this suggests that PS4/XBox One/NS ports are unlikely:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview

I'm sure it'll come out on consoles at some point in the future, it'll just be on Next-Gen consoles rather than the current-gen systems.