passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The great Pre-Order debate

DisturbedSwan

4 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Nah. I like to use pre-ordering to plan my game budget month-by-month for the year.

Plus pre-ordering pisses Jim Sterling off so I do it even more now.

How does that help you budget? ?

I'm all digital now anyway. Don't like having physical stuff.

1 minute ago, Maf said:

Digital prices tend to be worse but I haven’t bought a game since February so I think at that rate I can afford to pay a bit more here and there. 

I think once I got in the habit of only buying stuff I actually want to play the higher digital prices became less of an issue.

Before I used to just buy everything and hate 90% of it and have no money. Now I never have a backlog ?

Even more reason not to pre-order. “Pay £45/50 for a game, when you have absolutely no idea if it will be any good or not. And in the case of Death Stranding, what the game even is”.

Then what happens when the reviews come out, and you find out the game you were looking forward to is utter gash. Or, half the content is locked away behind Season Passes or micro transactions.

And when has it actually been the case where you can’t find a game anywhere, that it’s totally sold out everywhere. That almost never happens. Unless we’re talking about overly expensive Collectors Editions. But then, people who regularly buy those literally have more money than sense anyway.

2 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Then what happens when the reviews come out, and you find out the game you were looking forward to is utter gash. Or, half the content is locked away behind Season Passes or micro transactions.

Don't open it and just send it back innit. 

This kind of kills the last chance of me pre-ordering anything in future. I've always thought Amazon's policy was very consumer friendly but not this, this is whack and shite. In future the only thing likely to get pre-ordered will be digitally through the PS store and that will only be if it's a game that my wife and I both want to play because it's like two copies for the price of one and a half. Fucking digital prices. Cunts. /spit.

Pretty much everywhere else don’t charge you until dispatch @AndyKurosaki so you don’t pay anything until you get to the release date.

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve cancelled pre-orders a month or so out once available finances present themselves. 

I’ve told you this before but Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and some others were sold out if you didn’t pre-order. 

Take your tongue out of Stirling's arse sonny Jim ?

Someone clearly has a grudge against Jim. Not everyone has the money to spunk up the wall on pre-ordering absolutely everything.

And I’m allowed to agree with the opinion of someone else. Just as you’re allowed to claim everything is GOTY, and buy multiple copies of Shenmue 3, for reasons best known to yourself.

16 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

So everyone here just pre orders everything and hopes they don't forget to cancel if they don't want it?

I keep all of my emails alphabetised, in sub folders, with specific date sensitive notes attached.... ?

Pre-ordering is just a convenience.  The movement against pre-ordering is aimed State Side where this thing Amazon is gonna do is common practice. 

But you take that convinience away like this and take the money up front then people are just gonna go where they take payment on delivery. 

It’s a Brexit thing. They want your money straight away in case the pound crashes later so when they refund you for not being able to ship to the UK it cost them less 

truthisoutthere.jpg

I do preorder stuff from amazon quite a lot, they often price match good deals, but with this change I’m quite happy to move game preorders elsewhere. Hardware though, I mean they aren’t quick to deliver but they often help you out if stuff brakes even if the manufacturer won’t, so I might keep preordering consoles with them.

edit - that’s going to cost loads isn’t it...so maybe not!

The last time I missed out on a game I wanted to play was Majora's Mask. I can still get that if I want to go digital. It's not the end of the world.

There's literally no reason to pre-order. So you get some gold plated bumf or some other shite that means dick. So what? None of it is worth it. They're inflating the importance of it but it's kind of laughable when you look at it. Just put it in the game and let that be the end of it.

Why wait for the day it comes out or after when you can order at your own convenience? There is no reason not to pre-order if you're getting the game anyway. 

For situations where you have to pay before you get it then yeah, I get the argument against pre-ordering, but how its currently done I just don't see a good argument against it.  There isn't one. 

I think it might depend on what people are considering to be preorders. I suspect the people down on it aren't talking about buying a game the week of release so it arrives on the Thursday/Friday. 

Putting a preorder down now for the standard version of Death Stranding or Last of Us I'm not sure I see the point of, and it probably ends up being a bad thing for consumers as a whole as it encourages incentives. I do still preorder though, usually because there's a really good price somewhere, which is why I've got one for Wolfenstein, a game I'm getting digitally 

This is part of a bigger topic, but I think games are a much more known quantity now. Yeah you get stuff like Anthem, but for the most part we have a good idea that the game is at least going to be solid way before release. That and I think people kind of have to see for themselves anyway sometimes, I know I do 

Split this off from random news.

I’m mostly all digital these days so will occasionally pre-order a game on the digital stores only if I know I’m buying it anyway and I have the money then and maybe won’t when the game comes out, and also if there’s a pre-order price saving.