passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The great Pre-Order debate

DisturbedSwan

9 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Someone I know wrote cunt on a bit of paper hundreds of times and filled his lunchbox. True story.

They sound like a well balanced and handsome man. 

I haven't bought a game with tat included in ages. I think maybe the last one was BotW which came with a pin but that was only because I had to get it from ShopTo. A combination of not caring, not having the space and not having the money ensure that if something slips through one net it will get caught on another. 

The main piece of tat I own is the big Gears 3 collectors edition which came with a kneeling Marcus and Marcus is still kneeling down in the lounge. He gets a little Christmas hat each year and he seems happy. 

3 hours ago, Nag said:

Unless your talking generally pretty much nobody on this site is like that though...

Generally speaking. You look at how many games shipped with a super deluxe loads of tat edition 10 or 15 years ago and it was bare minimum. Really it was locked down to anticipated sequels. Now everyone seems to be at it. Ubi are particularly bad for this, they put charts out to show you what you do and don't get because it's impossible for them to just do one edition of a game now.

I don't know if multiple additions of games are anything to do with pre-ordering, though. You can still get them after release.  They are pushed at the pre-order stage but I think that's because they often just care about first week and month sales. 

And with Ubisoft they do all that stuff with all their games so it's hard to judge if they're getting stronger sales than if they didn't do it because we can't monitor a parallel universe where they did just release a single edition.  I mean they've convinced themselves that it's a worthwhile strategy but I don't think it helps sell games at all, not to people on the fence at least.  It's easy to look at that stuff and feel like you're gonna be missing something unless you fork over £60+ and fuck that if you can take or leave the game. 

Maybe the high profit margin tat they have with these editions makes it look like they're profiting more but I wonder if in doing so they are losing basic, honest sales. 

Funnily enough I bought more tat 10+ years ago than I do now! I remember getting the original Assassin's Creed Collector's Edition with the Altair statue, playing it for a bit and then flogging it all and that was 12 years ago in 2007. Likewise with the Halo 3 Legendary Edition released the same year - of which the Helmet still holds pride of place on a shelf in my Flat, I fucking love that dumb thing.

I do have a decent collection of 'tat' accumulated over the years. But you know what, I don't really give a flying fuck whether it's actually collectable or not, I don't care whether they're junk or gather dust either. I love games and I like all the little statues, boxes, figurines, art books etc. Sitting there, it just gives me a cool nerdy joy. Games are such a huge part of my life that these little artefacts dotted about are like little microcosms of memories dotted about, like little bits of happiness spread around my Flat. When my girlfriend was decorating our new Flat, putting in the Furniture etc. She said 'I want a bit of you in the Flat as well' and by that she meant the gaming stuff, because gaming and me are pretty much intertwined. 

As I've got older I tend to buy very few and far between though, I got the FFXV UCE as an Xmas present, Fallout 4 PBE as a Birthday present and a few others but I just can't justify the extra £30-£100+ they cost over the Standard Editions these days. I think the only one I've got on order at the moment is the Catherine Full Body CE out in September but that'll most probably get cancelled nearer the time.

I feel I should clarify when I said 'pre-order tat' I was referring to the crappy in game stuff, like the gold plated shit in Death Stranding, anyone whose panties get wet for that shit is a moron.

However, the fact that people are now using tat to refer to the physical stuff that comes with CE, SE, and LE's and has caused Blakey to turn into Fred Durst with his giving of no fucks has given me a giggle.

Carry on.

The last thing I pre-ordered/pre-purchased was Hitman 2 on Steam. Generally I won't pre-order games, but with this one I got the edition with the upcoming DLC included for the price of the standard edition, and got to play a few days early.

I knew I was gambling a bit but having 150 hours in the previous one, I was hopeful I knew what I'd get, as long as they didn't fuck it up. It paid off that time. I haven't pre-ordered anything since, though.

Before that, the last time was probably something multiplayer in the early years of X360.

Tangential: but physical or digital pre-order extras and limited edition shit put me off more than they entice me to buy. If a game advertises a version with a season pass, it usually says "wait a year until it's all out" to me more than "buy this version".