passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The great Pre-Order debate

DisturbedSwan

Are we using hyped as another way of saying someone is excited about something or are we using hyped literally, like people are simply buying into marketing and publicity? 

'Hype' can be the artificial feedback loop pushed by publishers to exploit your genuine excitement.

Like all that stuff you see now where EA has "influencers" on their E3, they're trying to find more relateable ways to sell people on their games with hype. Literally hype merchants

It’s not about being wrong or right. Making good or bad decisions. 

You have pre ordered gears 5 because you’re hyped and you have a history with the series. No way you’ve never pre-ordered something on hype alone through influence or months of media coverage though... ??

I agree.  I pre-order games I'm looking forward to; hyped for.  I don't care whether it's manufactured or not; it is what it is. 

Though I do believe I'm savvy enough to see through a lot of shit and know to my own standards and if I'm making the right decision for me. 

I often think that the anti-hype movement is for people who haven't figured out what they actually like and keep falling for buying shitty games. 

I don't put myself in that group.  I know what I like and I'm okay maybe making the wrong decision without making a stink, blaming everyone else. 

That's why I pre-order when I want something.  I refuse to stop just because a load of gamers with no taste get burnt. 

First of all, I really enjoyed how sassy @DifferentClass was. 

7 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like all that stuff you see now where EA has "influencers" on their E3

How many of us here are under 30? Are we really going to be swayed by people that look like their mum's titty milk is still their primary source of nourishment? 

If it's just about excitement like @Sly Reflex said then I don't see a problem. It's entertainment so excitement is the driving force behind it all. I'm not going to do something entertaining if I'm not excited. What drives that excitement for me is not a load of marketing wank, it's characters, settings and creators I know and love. So if something comes out from Kojima, SWERY, Suda 51 and so on then I want to check it out. If something has a Lovecraftian or Cyberpunk setting then I want to check it out. If something has LGBT themes or characters then that will make me more likely to want to try it as well. 

It seems like an issue a lot of people have is the when. When other people want to try something they are excited about. If as a consumer you need to see the reviews, see the gameplay, see the MTX and all that then cool. I don't care about reviews, I'm weird. My opinions very rarely line up with the consensus. Nier is one of my all time favourite games and I would never have played it if I had listened to reviews so I was there at midnight on release for the sequel. I was there at midnight because I wanted more Nier as soon as I could get it. Automata could have come out to 1 out of 10s and that wouldn't change. Shit man, I didn't even like Automata that much but waiting a year to play it wouldn't change shit. 

Most of us here are old fucks who know what we like. It would be cool if people could give each other credit for that and assume we are all intelligent dudes. Not say things like, "whoa dude it's all like, marketing and the illuminati and I can like see through it but you can't because you're like, not on my level, whoa." 

I suppose a big part of this is what counts as a deal breaker for you? What does a game have to have before you say, nah, I'm out and when will that become apparent on the road to release? I think for a lot of people that is MTX. I don't like that either but I remember one game where MTX broke the game and that was AC Unity and I knew way ahead of time that would be dogshit. I bought it pre-owned about six months after release because I have played all the others and wanted to see for myself. It was poopy. I don't regret it. 

For me, if I'm excited about something for the reasons I have previously mentioned, the only thing that will temper that is price. Do I think if I wait a few weeks I will be able to get it for half the price? If so then I wait. If I'm really excited for something and I think, hey, this will be a tenner cheaper in four months I'm probably not going to wait. I will only spend that tenner on a takeaway pizza that gives me the shits anyway. Now you want to talk about someone not learning their lesson, takeaway pizza is definitely an issue. 

The last time I remember getting burned by something was Saints Row 3 with the Genki pre-order DLC. I picked the game up right away even though I knew I wouldn't be playing it because I was worried that missing out on the DLC would hurt the game. Of course it didn't but that shit was relatively new at the time and I was just a baby. I think we have all learned from stuff like that. 

I'm a ramblin' man. 

Agree with pretty much everything @Bob said (AC Unity is great though ?).

I don’t see what’s wrong by getting hyped or excited about upcoming games. 

Games are a hobby, we wouldn’t be on this forum if we didn’t love games, so why can’t we get excited for them? Obviously there’s varying degrees of that, some - like myself - get more excited than others.

But we all get excited and as a by product of that we sometimes put in a pre-order at the end of the year, it doesn’t mean it’s locked in and can never be cancelled or our minds can’t change later down the line if we see a trailer that isn’t great or some nebulous aspect comes to light. No money has exchanged hands, we’re merely getting to the front of the queue and reserving a Day 1 spot if we want it.

Pure unbridled hype isn’t why every person pre-orders 100% of the time though. I can only speak for myself but sometimes I put pre-orders in for games I’m lukewarm on because of a great price or just because I’m intrigued by it and may want it there Day 1 later in the year. Other times it just lets me budget and plan out when things are coming and what money is being taken out of my account over the year, if I come up to the start of a month and realised I’ve pre-ordered too many games then I cancel. It’s 2 clicks to cancel it anytime I want.

Everyone on here has seen a trailer that really resonated with them and been excited by a game. 

Its just a couple of clicks to pre-order something and a couple of clicks to cancel down the line if you can no longer fit it in your budget/schedule. I really don’t see what the big deal is really? 

yeah but you're a capitalist pig dog though Blakey

fwiw, as someone who isn't known for getting excited about games, or anything bar Tool albums, as I said before I do preorder the odd thing. Largely for price reasons, but I've got Persona Q on order, can't remember if that was a price thing but I think it was more that with it being a very late 3DS game I'm not sure it's going to be readily available

I will say though that I've never watched e3 and immediately gone and preordered based on a logo (a cinematic trailer if they're lucky). I know some people here have, I don't get it, there's no rush

Been an interesting read. People's views, and maybe their exertion of it, onto others. At the end of day what that a person does with their own money is their business. 

I may cringe when I hear someone's pre-ordered something, or roll my eyes when I read they've big piles of shame and still pre-ordering en masse. But it's their life and won't begrudge them. May have a dig if I feel they'll take it well ?

I've gone through a change. Perhaps it's an age thing? Younger people with more time, less responsibilities, perhaps no partner. All these things affect your game time. As you get older you get less time so tend to be more selective. Doesn't fit everyone but I definitely notice a trend. 

I don't pre-order that much anymore. I'll probably pre-order BL3 because I enjoyed the others and no doubt will enjoy it with my gang when it's out. I'm not a big fan of digital over physical but my last two purchases, Sekiro and Metro: Exodus, were digital. I suppose digital you don't need to preorder; just download on the day. No waiting for delivery or going outdoors ??

For me, the question I ask myself is would I buy this game even if it's bad? Because I got to see for myself? That's really only when I preorder, if it's Final Fantasy or DMC or mgs (those three in particular)

I guess then I'm risk averse but I just hate wasting money and I feel that's not a strange instinct to have (I got to put a grand away for a holiday anyway, I never travel so that's something I want to fix ).

So yeah I'm leery about the push to pre-order all the time from publishers.

I'll pre-order something if I want to play it on release day. Otherwise I don't bother. This year I've only pre-ordered KH3 and Sekiro.

If something has pre-order tat attached to it I won't bother with it though, that shit needs to stop so I'll just wait until it's out. Vote with my wallet etc.

Not too bothered about this change from Amazon if I'm honest as its easy enough to cancel and get refunded if I change my mind.

Although if this is the route they're going they need to stop putting games with no official release date up for pre-order. And it's gonna fuck people who want to pre-order but can't afford yet sort after items.

Yeah actually, fuck this. Gonna go elsewhere.

Tesco direct used to do this, you pay upfront, with staff discount at 20% 3 times a year this used to work, stick it on interest free credit card and then pay it off while getting a big discount but I would only pre-order now on the release week.

Although could always order from somewhere other than amazon...

The two gaming pre-orders I recall of note were Demon's Souls and Fallout 3. The former, I remember GTM gave 10/10 and despite not being won over by what I read, I decided to pre-order what would most likely be a "niche/hard to come by game" and take a chance on it. It came with a OST CD and an Art book. That sweetened the deal.

Fallout 3 was an aesthetic thing. I actually loathed the immediate Bethesda game that preceded it: Elder Scrolls Oblivion. The post-apocalyptic visuals of Fallout 3 caught my eye however. Fun fact: I'd never heard of either series prior to those releases. It came with a metal lunch box and a Vault Boy Bobble Head. The latter, I still have to this day.

One of the motivators I had back in the day for pre-ordering was scarcity. Over the years I had been burned by games never released here EG Suikoden 3 and/or those with a limited release that became near impossible to come by physically in later years (Alundra, Vandal Hearts, Parasite Eve etc). So when I saw an interesting game wasn't a Tekken or Mario, there was that trail of thought that if you don't get in on the ground floor, it won't be there next week. Of course, digital distribution has removed that to a large degree now. Although the various online stores still don't have every game ever previously released.

12 minutes ago, OCH said:

The two gaming pre-orders I recall of note were Demon's Souls and Fallout 3. The former, I remember GTM gave 10/10 and despite not being won over by what I read, I decided to pre-order what would most likely be a "niche/hard to come by game" and take a chance on it. It came with a OST CD and an Art book. That sweetened the deal.

I can understand this sort of preorder since it would have been a limited run of a game that might not have any more copies pressed. It's instances like that where I understand it because if you don't get it you're going to end up not getting it at all or getting scalped by some cunt that bought it just to be a scalping piece of shit.

Not so much with Fallout 3, but then again the LE had some cool stuff in it. Someone I know wrote cunt on a bit of paper hundreds of times and filled his lunchbox. True story.

I mean I look at all the LE stuff I've bought over the years and I'm inclined to agree. The Forza keyring and related tat. The Gear 3 COG and related tat. It's all rubbish. People are addicted to it though. They feel that it has some worth even though it doesn't.

I remember buying the Destiny LE thing because it was cheaper than buying it as a separate deal and aside from flipping through the junk that came with it when the game was updating I've not looked at it since. It's all a massive waste. It's literally collecting dust as I type.

I should put it all in the bin, fucking shite that it is.

I think the only LE thing I have is the Bioshock Big Daddy model.  It's awful quality and some of the paint has chipped off despite not being touched. 

I rarely get that kinda stuff (the other time was pre-ordering Splatoon with the Amiibo early, before the price was locked in and got it a few quid cheaper than the vanilla version minus the Amiibo. And a bunch of the Amiibo were stolen from a truck and some didn't get them, but I got mine: best pre-order).

But other than that time I always go game only because the bonus shit is never worth it. 

That's why I get a bit pissed at those people *gestures towards activist-y gamers* getting all shitty with pre-ordering as a whole. 

Some of us do it for our own benefit only.