passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The 3DS Memorial Thread

DANGERMAN

the site has changed a bit, but it used to be (literally) all about the DS, and (figuratively) the 3DS, not so much any more. The upcoming release of Persona Q 2 is almost certainly the final physical 3DS release we'll see in the west, unless Nintendo announce something in the next week or so. Pokemon is going to Switch, the Detective Pikachu sequel is going to Switch, it's looking increasingly like Nintendo are done with it

What are people's thoughts on the 3DS and it's games. This might well be turned in to a podcast at some point, so if you want to throw in your favourite games, maybe even a few forgotten gems people will have missed out on I'll see if we can find a format to include them

I really liked the 3DS, it isn't as good as the DS admittedly, but until recently it was my most played console. If you remove Football Manager from the equation then I might even have played the 3DS more than the Switch last year (that's hundreds and hundreds of hours which is a big if), certainly the year before that I played a lot of it. My game of the year last year was a 3DS game, I never got around to Radiant Historia which was supposed to be brilliant too. I really enjoyed the Etrian Odyssey games I played on it, a few of the other rpgs (SMT, Stella Glow, Fire Emblem, even Bravely Default). I'm not too sure what my favourite game on the 3DS is, surprisingly (for me) Mario 3D Land would be up there, Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami

In terms of hidden games, Attack of the Friday Monsters was a cool little thing, Crimson Shroud was fantastic, and Starship Damray, in fact all the Guild 01 games are worth playing. Mighty Switch Force was a lot of fun, the Etrian Odyssey games are fantastic and most people didn't play them

Well it was the console I got into Monster Hunter on so that's probably the big highlight for me.  So I'd say Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is my favourite game on 3DS.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is another big one for me. 

3D Land and Link Between Worlds are also awesome but I'll wait 'til I get back home and jog my memory for anything a bit more left field. 

Radiant Historia is not v good. @Maryokutai will try tell you different but he is wrong. 

But to add something positive to the the thread, umm. As for good games I’ve mostly only got obvious ones to name. For me it has to be Pokemon Y which I played for over 500 hours which is easily the most I’ve played a game for full stop. 

There’s been so many versions of the ds all the games sort of blend into one format for me so I’d have trouble remembering just the 3ds ones... agree with 3D land and link between worlds. Trying to think of some more - Harmoknight, kid icarus (half the best game ever, and half not), theatrhythm, that ghost recon game, pullblox and fallblox (I think they were 3ds), mario kart was probably good although I don’t think I played that version much. I really like the 3ds but yeah I think most of my favourite ds games are from before the 3ds. There’s a few I still want to play on it like persona q and detective pikachu.

I’ve sadly neglected the 3DS, bar a couple of games. This is my 3DS backlog:

Ocarina of Time 3D

Majora’s Mask 3D

A Link Between Worlds

Metroid Samus Returns

SMT IV

SMT IV Apocalypse

Fire Emblem Awakening 

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia 

Fire Emblem Fates

Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask

Professor Layton & The Azran Legacy

Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney

Bravely Default

Bravely Second: End Layer

Yokai Watch 1-3

Theathrhythm Final Fantasy

Theathrhthym Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Pokemon X&Y

Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon

Kid Icarus Uprising

Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth

And beyond that there’s another string of rpgs I’m interested in...

17 hours ago, Maf said:

Radiant Historia is not v good.

[...]Pokemon Y which I played for over 500 hours

I think that says it all.

For the record, I do prefer the original Radiant Historia. Perfect Chronology's new art style is poo, the new character doesn't fit at all and the fanservice stuff with anime-ish voice acting doesn't help its cause either. It was a more tense, focused experience on DS.

I do really like the 3DS as well. As far as handhelds go it's not my favourite (the DS had a bunch of Castlevanias and some nice adventures, the GBA the better Fire Emblem games) but it's definitely up there.

The high point for me is probably Monster Hunter Stories. I don't like the mainline games and I just tried out the demo because it looked rather nice and it completely blew me away. A proper AAA-title for 3DS from a third-party developer this late into the system's lifespan, with lots of refined RPG mechanics that actually felt worthwhile to pursue (I think it's the first game I've played that made crafting fun), a huge and very nicely designed world, superb visuals, a good OST and some fun if a bit limited battle mechanics including an interesting spin on the Pokémon formulae with all the monster you could collect. It's just  really good.

I'm not quite done yet with the system as I still have Stella Glow to finish and SMT Apocalypse to play. But those are probably the last two games on it for me, unless the Pokémon movie makes me want to play Detective Pikachu.

Honorable mention to the playful design of the entire system, from the AR cards that came with it to the Streetpass-system, which I couldn't use much where I live, but was always fun at Gamescom when you 'met' hundreds of people that way.

I quite recently sold the majority of my 3DS games for a lot of money. That is probably my favourite thing about Nintendo in general, when I do move on from a system I know I can get about two thirds of my money back. 

I used to play it a lot at work, it was a job that I was left unsupervised for so I would just whizz through my work, then play games. It was fine, everyone loved me there so no one cared if ever they caught me. During that time I played the 3DS a lot and there were some great games like Bravely Default and whatever Pokemon I was playing. I played Link Between Worlds as well which in general is one of the best games so easily my favourite on the whole system.

Once I left that job though I didn't really bother playing it much. As much as I enjoyed the games I played on it, with a few exceptions, I would always rather be playing something on a console that connected to the TV. After a year or two of almost total neglect I decided to sell off all but a few of the games I knew I would want to go back to down the line. 

2 minutes ago, spatular said:

am i missing any?

New 3DS, New 3DSXL.

2 hours ago, spatular said:

ds

ds lite

dsi

dsi xl

3ds

3ds xl

2ds

2ds xl

am i missing any?

edit - yes! 

new 3ds

new 3ds xl

There are only two generations, the rest are all just hardware revisions.

Other than a smattering of DSi games and an even smaller handful of New 3DS only games, every game is simply either a DS game or a 3DS game. The difference is quite obvious too given the spec change.

• 2 weeks later...

When the 3DS launched I was worried that the 3D being the gimmick rather than the touch screen might lead to people focusing on that rather than making use of the touch screen, which is unfortunately what happened. I guess you could argue that the increased power meant more traditional games were able to run, around launch we got Street Fighter 4 (which did kind of use the touch screen tbf), Dead or Alive, a Resident Evil.

It's a shame now because the 3D barely got used in the last few years as developers either didn't have the resources to get it working or needed the extra power, with Nintendo sacking it off as much as anyone. I've often thought it's why the line up isn't as interesting as the DS line up, half of my favourite games on that system used the functionality 

I'm gonna charge mine up in the next week or so. I lent one of the girls in work 4-5 games about 18 months ago and since she got a Switch hasn't touched any of them, so I'm getting them back next week.

I'm gonna smash Majora, DQ9 and a couple of others on the bus to and from work.

I just played the Luigi’s Mansion 1 on the 3DS and came away from it kind of disappointed. The game itself is still fine, I played up to the baby boss battle and it’s still good. But trying it on the 3DS, not a great way to do it. 

Firstly I thought the 3D was broken because I could not get anything but double and triple images. I tried cleaning the camera, no effect. Grabbed my older 3DS XL and maybe it was perception but it seemed ever so slightly better so decided to live it. Then I realised the controls were bad because it wants to use motion controls for up and down. I looked in the game options and what would you know, it only supports the 3DS Circle Pad Pro! I think I used this maybe one or two times before for Resident Evil Revelations and Kid Icarus. And weirdly enough I found mine the other day while looking for something else so went and dug it out and boom...the 3DS XL is too big for the Circle Pad. 

Sigh.

Then I rembered that the New 3DS has that little nub thing and actually yeah that works with Luigi’s Mansion, but it’s like trying to use a broken analogue stick. Like it works if you want to look all the way up or all the way down but anything in between is hard even when just looking around the environment. In a fight it’s really just gets in the way. But continued trying to live with it until I got to the boss fight and it’s not a demanding fight at all, I did it easy enough. But the 3D is mostly double image, the nub is making it difficult to hit very easy shots, trying to move the stick in the opposite direction of the ghosts is making the 3D even worse and eventually I just turned the 3D off until the fight was over. And it left me bit sad because this game would be perfect for 3D.

I was trying to recall if I had any problems with Luigi's Mansion 2 because I know I finished that game and did a bunch of extra stuff as well, but honestly that whole game is a blur and I don’t remember any of it. I do remember liking the 3D more on the smaller versions of the system because it was easier to find the ‘sweet spot’ and I’ve always had trouble with it on the XL. Maybe I played it on that but I don’t remember.

Anyway, I don’t think I’ll be going back to this which is a shame because I really like this game, but not on the 3DS(XL).

• 1 year later...

Now that the switch has sort of run out of games (for me, a least), I've dusted off the old XL, and set off to play those games that entered my backlog, but then eventually became victims of Nintendo's shiny new hybrid.

There are 3, off the top of my head - Ever oasis, monster hunter stories and the one I'm currently playing, the outrageously cute Bravely second. However, I'm enjoying the dual screen 3d so much I've dug out this thread to see what others had on their lists. Maybe I'll park my switch in protest until they do something tasty with metroid. Yeah, that'll show 'em.