passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

GODZILLA Cinematic Universe

mmmark

Listen to me because I’ve seen it. 

I wont go into detail, more set expectations. The first 1/4 is a 5. A slog of an opener. It’s all about the humans. The terrible dialogue. Parts 2 and 3, things are looking up and ranges between 6.5 and 7.5. It’s still mostly the hoomans going blah blah but is intersected now with what we came to see. These moments tho are a too fleeting at times. I think 2014 did a much better job at cock teasing us. 

So that leaves us with the final 1/4.

Spoiler

This where you’ll get all the feels. We’re finally into 9.5 territory here and then some because not only is the action finally focused on the main event but you also get old zilla and military theme tunes and the oxygen destroyer for your troubles. Great ending.

Its hard to put a score to but I’d go for

Spoiler

8.5. For comparison I’d give 2014 GODZILLA a 9. It’s the better made movie, especially the character parts. 

Ok so we putting thoughts in here? 

Coolio. 

Just seen it. I really enjoyed it. Kinda echoe @wiivo 2.0's feels. 

Story's a bit silly. But it's easy to follow and leads to some brilliant monster on monster action. Honestly we're in a golden age with regards to Special effects in films these days. 

If you're a monster movie fan, or more specifically a Godzilla fan, then this is for you. Of you can take em or leave em, you may end up feeling a little underwhelmed. 

It gets 8/10 Atomic Blasts

Disappointed...

The Monsters themselves, the fights and all the little nods & Easter eggs IE The Original Godzilla Theme, the remix (?) of the Mothra theme, the Oxygen Destroyer, Ghidorah's new origin paying homage to his Classic era roots. All fantastic!

The people though...?

I'm so tired of the overused army trope. These guns don't seem to work against these giant monsters? Let's keep using them anyway..?‍♂️

Plus they frame the individual army grunts in such a way as you are supposed to be invested in them. Meanwhile, I couldn't even name one of them, let alone tell them apart.

Personally, I think the three principle leads: Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and especially Millie Bobby Brown (who is entirely pointless to this movie), could have been completely cut from the film and nothing would have been lost. Charles Dance could have been given all the plot specific stuff Farmiga's character does and it would have actually lent his character something significant to do.

The end credits, not the end credit scene, did leave me with a couple of questions though.

Spoiler

1)Is all the indirect jungle growth and DNA splicing talk, a reference to Biollante?

Biollante.jpg

2)Who is in The Egg??

1 hour ago, RikSP said:

Trying to buy the original movies is a lot more difficult than you'd think.

Yep. I got Godzilla '54 and Shin Godzilla for a friend. Everything in between is sketchy, even in the internet age. Toho really needs to release a boxset... Please

21 hours ago, RikSP said:

Trying to buy the original movies is a lot more difficult than you'd think.

Its a terrible journey. Even when you find them you’re then having to find out which cut you’re getting. 

I think i told you on discord but I’ll post them here. There’s 2 full old G films on YouTube.

I've done it lads. I've just ordered my first Japanese Godzilla movie.

I went with Shin Godzilla because it was cheap, I could actually buy it, and I really wanted to watch it when it first came out anyway.

Should be here in a couple of weeks.

I liked the design of Shin. In some respects, it was quite a bold departure. It is unfortunate when you hear Toho have no immediate plans for a sequel.

Just watched Godzilla vs Destoroyah and it was rad!

This was the first Japanese Godzilla movie I've ever seen.

How can something be so cheesy but so awesome at the same time!? Jr is the cutest lil monster and I was internally screaming "No! Leave him alone!" during his fight and was genuinely heartbroken when... Well... You know.

Also found myself surprisingly heartbroken at the end for Godzilla. Big G knew he was gonna die and just wanted to see his baby boy again. I thought they were gonna do the "And then they save Godzilla and everything is ok" but nope, he just fuckin melts.

This movie left me feeling real sad, but it's given me a basis on where to start watching the Godzilla movies - the Heisei period. 7 movies cant be that difficult to track down... Can they?

26 minutes ago, RikSP said:

This movie left me feeling real sad, but it's given me a basis on where to start watching the Godzilla movies - the Heisei period. 7 movies cant be that difficult to track down... Can they?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODZILLA-HEISEI-SERIES-BOXSET/dp/B002SEV3B6/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QA4ZYD9Z85EZQBK75QX1

Yes.. and no. 

• mmmark changed the title to GODZILLA Cinematic Universe