passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Playdate Handheld Console

regemond

Well this is out of leftfield. Panic, publisher of Firewatch and Untitled Goose Game are developing a new handheld console for $149.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/22/18636485/playdate-release-games-handheld-panic

dims.jpg

Random Info:

• Dimensions: 74 × 76 × 9mm
  • 2.7-inch Black and White Screen
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
  • USB Type-C charging
  • $149 price point includes the first season of 12 games to be released
  • Hand Crank feature can be used in conjunction with D-Pad, on its own or not at all

Scheduled for release in 2020.

Unless it's a weird joke, I'm going to buy it. I like gaming curiosities and I like handhelds, so this will be a fun little thing to have in my collection (alongside other weirdos like the GP2X, the GBmicro or the Pokémon Mini).

I admire the balls of it. I probably won’t buy one, but I hope it does well for them. As the industry’s rough edges get more and more smoothed out, it’s heartening to see people go, “fuck it”.

2 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

I thought the crank was to charge it. I guess it’s a child’s toy more than anything. 

same, I was way in to a wind up console for the end times

I might buy this. We'll see what it ends up being but I'd be up for an oddity like this

I saw the title of this thread and thought ‘WTF is that?’ Then EDGE #333 came through the post with a huge Playdate console on the front and I was like ‘oh’.

But why though? What’s the point?

I have so many questions. Why a black and white screen in 2019 for one? ?

2 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

I thought the crank was to charge it. I guess it’s a child’s toy more than anything. 

This. Immediately my thought when I saw that. 

Cheap (ish). Silly. Basic. It's for kids to interact with instead of an I-pad or whatever parents do these days. 

My initial thought anyway. 

This was from the press release posted in the EG article

"It's designed to be complementary. It's designed to deliver a jolt of fun in-between the times you spend with your phone and your home console; something to fill the moments when you just want a game you can pick-up and play."

I don’t know about you but maybe I would like the time between my phone, iPad, TV and work computer not filled with another fucking screen.

I have nothing against this thing existing but who is thinking they don’t have enough toys and screens in their life already?

so you won't be buying another console?

edit: sorry, that's a bit of a reductive point, what I meant is, anyone who buys new games and tech is clearly buying stuff they don't need and maybe even realise they don't need. This isn't meant to take on the Switch, it's something they're hoping will make its money back and act as a novelty

It’s not that someone needs any of it, just I know that my time (And I’m assuming most other people’s) is already filled with games and screens as it is. I probably allocate too much time to all of it already (And I still have unopened games from last November) so I definitely don’t need another thing to fill up time between the things that already exist.

Some of that is because that empty time is fictional and secondly because I want different stuff not more of the same stuff taking up my time. 

Again I don’t have anything against this thing existing but the idea that it exists because people need more games in between all their other games makes this seem very redundant.

• 2 weeks later...