passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dauntless

Rikzilla

Eurogamer said: “As for its free-to-play status, Dauntless' micro-transactions have traditionally focussed on cosmetics enhancements, and there's a Fortnite-style tiered Battle Pass system too. In fact, the game's full launch will coincide with the arrival of its fifth Hunt Pass season, which features a free Basic track and a paid Elite track with additional unlockable rewards, costing around £8.”

Seems standard and fair to me. I’ll probably throw a few quid at this if I play it for long enough. 

Ok so I’ve looked at the store and there’s a Fortnite style ‘Hunt Pass’ that unlocks extra cosmetic bits as you level up. A battle pass costs 1000 platinum, which usually costs £7.99, so the battle pass is essentially a subscription rewards attached to it. 

You get the Basic Hunt pass as standard, and have to upgrade to the Elite if you want the goodies attached to it. Elite also offers more rewards, 50% more mastery experience, and bonus loot at the end of each hunt.

Platinum is also used to buy things like dyes, supply booster packs, and seasonal items. 

The bonuses added to the Elite do seem a little penalising for those not willing to fork out £7.99 a season, but I haven’t played enough yet to see how balanced the pay/no pay system is at the moment. The other rewards just seem to be cosmetic or extra items though so it’s not too bad at the moment. I’ll see how I feel after a few hours though. 

Triple post, nice. 

Put a few hours into this with @Bob today and I'm really enjoying it. 

To quote Bob, the barrier to entry is much lower than Monster Hunter, and it's certainly more streamlined. Does that mean that it's not as deep? Yes, but that's not a bad thing as it's much more accessible.

So for the MTX haven't been an issue. Materials for crafting new weapons and armour are plentiful, and I've made around 4 full sets and upgraded them all once. 

It has loads of MMO trimmings to it, like an open lobby where you can see other players running about, ! and ? to signify quest givers, and a lobby chat window (but to tell the truth I've mostly ignored that). It's different enough to Monster Hunter to not feel like a direct rip off.

It'd be great if more people were interested in giving this a go.

Yeah people come join us. This was a lot of fun and it certainly feels like a less intense experience than Monster Hunter. There is a surprising amount of depth to the weapons and a lot of options for people. There is this hammer/blunderbuss hybrid and I had no idea what I was doing but every now and then it would just piss out damage so once we've got a bit of game knowledge there will be plenty of opportunity to pop off on monster face. 

I bought the battle pass and I'm still not super sure how progress works but I did get a cool silver dye that makes me look #swag

I've been playing it. It's good fun.

There's currently a pack on the store (on Xbox at least) called the Timely Arrival pack for £4.19 which has a skin, emote and 1000 credits which is enough for the battle pass. I bought it.

Same on PS4 @retroed although it's 20p cheaper so get fucked on there I guess. No Freddo for you. PS_Messages_20190523_191512.jpg

Some screenshots from earlier. Left side is the first Behemoth, then the last one we killed to show how they shoot up in size  top right is a good boy and bottom right is the armourer who is an absolute unit and I can't wait for some rule 34 to show up of her. 

Damn, I could have downloaded the game on PS4, purchased the pack there and saved 20p.

Epic username is EdRetro @RikSP. Yep, cross-play and also cross-progression across consoles and PC.

I just booted the game up and it says all servers are full, estimated wait time 30 minutes. ?

Had another good session with @Bob and @DifferentClass today. 

Got mullered like rice against a couple Behemoths earlier but with a little grinding I managed to max out one of my armour sets (for now) and they weren't a problem anymore. Been working on maxing out another set and a couple weapons too to even the playing field. 

Starting to get the hang of the gameplay loop now and know what the game wants me to do so things are starting to speed up in the progression department. I'm sure I'm supposed to be doing missions, but I'm enjoying myself building my armour sets. 

I've been trying the other weapons today and I love them.  The sword you start with is really simple, maybe too simple as it doesn't give the right kind of impression for the rest of the game.  I had so much fun with the Hammer and the Axe.  

I've been playing this quite a bit more and I'm already starting to see the F2P wall, and it's sullying the game. 

I like it quite a bit.  It has some cool Monsters that may even go beyond the scope of Monster Hunter (one especially) and the weapon classes are kinda simple but have a surprising amount of scope.  There is definitely some top tier game design going on here. 

But they've fucked up the pacing.  Or maybe they haven't and the aggressive push to make you spend money is overly intentional.  But even if it is it still kicks in too early. 

But I've been fighting the same monsters over and over.  I know these games are a grind, but it's a failure when it really starts to feel like a grind.  And that's where I'm at now; probably between 10 - 15 hours. 

But I suppose I'm used to Warframe.  Probably, despite its problems, the fairest F2P game out there by far. 

Basically, I'm always short of a certain item to progress.  You get rewarded by beating the monster generally, a bonus for the parts you knocked off during the fight and an extra bonus if you don't die.  I meet these requirements pretty often but I still don't get the part I need.  But there is an extra bonus for season pass owners. 

Now I don't have that so I don't know what the drop rate is tied to it, but right now I just feel like I'm missing out, and it doesn't feel good.  Especially when I've had to fight the same shit over and over again. 

Did everyone else drop this?

I've played quite a bit more and isolated my problems with it.

I did get the battle pass because I didn't realise there was a one time purchase of some cosmetics that come with the amount of platinum you need to buy the battle pass for £3.99 and that seemed reasonable so went for it.

It does fix the pacing a little but I think the actual problem is a lack of content.  There are quite a few monsters but they are spread quite thinly, where as in Monster Hunter you can turn to progress something else when it starts to feel like a grind.  Warframe is good at that too, but it has the luxury of been running and being expanded for six years so there's lots to do early on.  So I think it might need at least a year of content before it'll have a satisfying pace.

It's also a bit too broken on PS4.  I think it's network stuff as this game, on a technical level should not have it's hub world run as badly as it does at 30fps.  It makes me worried about the eventual Switch port.  But this extends to the fights with monsters themselves sometimes.  While getting better at it I'm trying to make more use of the I-frames in the dodge since you can make builds based around getting buffs for successful evades but it's so unreliable.  It'll show on screen that you successfully evaded an attack but then it'll correct a half second later and show you hit.  Street Fighter V did this too when it's net code was at its worst.

It's frustrating.  I've unlocked a few more fights and they are getting better as the game goes on, ones that match the best ones in MH, but it really needed longer in the oven.  I won't be putting any more money into it until this network stuff is addressed.  It crashes too often, too.

I'm still gonna be playing it until this battle pass runs its course but I'll be so much happier about playing it when it's issues are sorted.

I played a little bit but it’s like a super basic MH and I dropped it after a couple of hunts. 

Just a PSA for those that are still playing it though - if you’re a Twitch Prime member you can get some kind of loot for this.

• 1 month later...

I played this for the first time last night with my Overwatch crew. It was fun and easy to get into, if a little janky in places. Some of the user interface feels a little bit more fiddly than it should.

It definitely feels designed for controllers, the mouse and keyboard controls are awkward. When I switched to an Xbox pad, it felt so much better.

We ran into a few glitches, but nothing serious or enough to ruin the fun:

- One of our people didn't get the dialog option needed to finish a quest and trigger the next one while they were in the party .

- One member of the party couldn't leave the hunt complete screens by pressing X, and had to wait for the timer to count down to return to the hub. This happened to two different people after different hunts.

- Changing your character appearance in the hub area removed the skin colour from you and every other character in the area, leaving you looking at weird white/grey dolls until you start a hunt or restart the game.

- We saw a couple of people sliding around the town because their characters were not animating when they move. They also didn't have heads.