passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC Cinematic Universe

DisturbedSwan

Without the main names, this sounds more Gotham/Krypton in nature than a Green Lantern series. Also Alan Scott was a completely different kind, so no idea how that will work? Unless they just make him one of the regulars. 

• 1 month later...

I can't help but think Steppenwolf would have looked so much better if he had been practical effects and makeup. The original look and that above, is just a mess. Doomsday was equally as bad in Batman V Superman.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, no surprise there, our cinemas are closed until mid January or something. I would have gone to watch it, I'd have been alone in the room anyway. Was looking forward to this movie for the entire year.?

I hope I can avoid spoilers until whenever I'll be able to watch it.

I knew it was out but no way I’m going anywhere near a Cinema at the moment even though I’m in Tier 2 here. I saw Tenet in the Summer and it was amazing to see a film at the cinema after such a long time but numbers were much lower then than they are now.

I do really want to see it but I’ll just buy/rent it when it’s out on digital platforms here. 

• 2 weeks later...

So my father somehow got his hands on WW84. He didn't tell me how but I suspect it wasn't some kind of legal DRM-free VOD version. I did watch it because I was afraid of getting everything spoiled in the coming weeks but I will make sure to go see it in the cinema as soon as they reopen over here to support both it and the guys who give me my ticket.

My spoiler-free take from it is that it has its moments, but it's a bit underwhelming overall. It doesn't have a standout No Man's Land scene but on the plus side the antagonist is a bit better than Ares. But only a bit. Rest in spoilers:

Spoiler

As a big fan of Cheetah that was certainly the character I was looking forward to the most and I'm not quite sure what to make of her. The problem with the character is that they're binding over backwards to get her to where she needs to be as Cheetah, which involves both rewriting the character of Barbara-Ann and coming up with a very convoluted way to make sure she turns into a humanoid wild cat. The design is good, though it could have been a bit more feral, but Maxwell Lord as a stepping stone for her transformation wasn't the best choice. The classic curse placed upon her by a god just works better IMO. She also feels throwaway-ish and doesn't add anything to the plot, which I think is the biggest problem here and further proof that you should not put in more than one villain in a superhero movie. You'd think that Spider-Man 3 made a point all those years ago but some people seem to have misunderstood it.

The movie also lacks some kind of urgency. There's a lot of stuff happening around that could have catastrophic consequences but it never feels like it's going to go all the way. You know it's all going to be a happy ending, you know the plot twists happening before they do. Which is a bit unfortunate since the original trailer set up a couple of interesting mysteries that get spoiled by the movie itself about 30 minutes in. There are some good character moments between Diana and Steve though and without spoiling anything it will be hard to watch a WW3 without him. If there ever will be another WW movie.

Back to the spoiler-free territory: you can sort of see how this was made during less than optimal situations. There are certain scenes that were obviously filmed in front of a greenscreen which look straight up awful. The credits are just white text on a black background. There's a nice little mid-credits scene which leads to absolutely nothing, as in they don't know if they will even continue with this. Maybe I'm projecting too many real-life problems into this, but the entire thing has a troubling amount of finality in it, as in "look closely, you will probably not see another 180 minutes blockbuster for a couple of years".

Anyway, tl;dr, the first one was a lot better, but it's not the big mess some people make it out to be. 

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

In the UK? I thought it was Jan 13th here.

Sorry I was just answering how his dad had it early.

RLM have reviewed it. It looks pretty terrible and overlong :( was looking forward to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Snyder cut hype is more fan curiosity or do loads of people really feel like he's the guy to make a great film

His version of Watchmen was ridiculous, super slow mo scenes of people being killed violently and raped to Leonard Cohen and stuff. Real edgelord shit.

I guess the opening was cool

Watchmen wasn't subtle at all but I liked the movie, at least back in the day. Haven't seen it in ten years or so at least.

I think Legend of the Guardians is low-key his best movie, really enjoyed that one.

But Justice League is just fundamentally bland. There are pivotal scenes that are just not good no matter how much stuff you weave around them. Seems like a massive waste of time and effort.

Rented Wonder Woman 1984 on the 13th when it was released.

Absolutely loved it, maybe even a little more than the first film. The characters and cast are just all incredibly relatable, you really do feel for them even in their moments of madness that they've got good hearts deep down and are trying to do the right thing, but have been blinded by their own greed, jealousy etc.

Wiig is superb as Minerva, the bubbly nerdy new girl who can't catch a break, especially when she compares herself to the flawless Diana Prince. Even when she eventually turns down a dark path you can feel she is still a good person inside, she has just been overcome with jealously and power. Pedro Pascal's Maxwell Lord is played perfectly as well, incredibly relatable once again, with a good heart wrapped up inside someone who becomes obsessed with greed in the end, he's so relatable and real, you can't help but feel sorry for him for most of the film but he does suitably turn up the comic book villainy towards the end. 

The whole premise for the film - a time stone that grants people whatever wishes they desire - is a little trite on the face of it, but it does work. This stone is key to pretty much everything that happens throughout the film but it also seems to of been an opportunity to cram Chris Pine's character Steve Trevor from the first film back in it, he's great in it don't get me wrong and the chemistry him and Gadot have is great but it just felt a little unnecessary to me at times, a little too convenient. 

There is some truly fantastic moments throughout and the character development in the film is some of the best I've seen in one of these movies. The standout for me was a scene where Steve and Diana fly in a jet through some 4th of July fireworks over DC, it's just a truly magical scene reminiscent of the little French town in the snow in the first film. It is a little light on the action though compared to the original film, so be aware of that going in.

Can't recommend it enough.

I thought the new Wonder Woman was pretty poor. Its basically the concept of her lockdown Imagine celebrity wank fest dragged out for over 2 hours. "I'm amazing and everything can be fixed by me just being amazing" 

Nowhere near as good as the first film imo