passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Stealth games?

Maf

42 minutes ago, RikSP said:

Did @Blakey just list all the stealth games he’s ever played? I feel like that’s a very Blakey thing to do.

Nah, been playing games since I was 5, would be a long ol' list if it had all the stealth games I've ever played on it ?

I'm trying to think why TLoU and Arkham Asylum worked for me and others, like early Splinter Cell games didn't. 

I thought maybe it's because I think of them as slow action games, especially in the case of TLoU, but I suppose most Stealth games could be described as that. 

Maybe it's because in the result of a stealth failure it turns into a fun brawl in those two at least.  I just hate the feeling of failing to be sneaky and I feel compelled to restart to the last checkpoint, and that gets repetitive.  I don't mind restarting in Hitman, but it in something like Splinter Cell (I'm just talking about the original three since those are the ones I've played) I just quickly end up giving up and not going back. 

It could be the linearity but really I can't put my finger on it. 

To me the worst stealth I’ve ever seen is in Wolfenstein 2 and a huge reason why I think that game is bullshit. I get that it isn’t a stealth focused game - except when it is. And the fact it’s in first person so you lose awareness of surroundings, the fact the rules are so flimsy, the fact that the punishment for failure is so severe and more than all that, it just makes me feel bad when I get seen. Some games whether they are stealth based or just have stealth in it give such a sense of negativity when I fail it that even like in the case of Wolfenstein, just because I was spotted it doesn’t mean the game is over, but it feels like it might as well be. 

First-Person doesn't necessarily have to be an issue. Alien Isolation uses the same perspective and it works flawlessly there. Of course you could argue that the game is cheating by using the motion sensor but I'd rather look at it the other way around and say that that's a great idea to bypass the pitfalls of a more limited viewing area.

yeah, I think the likes of motion sensors and Batman/Dishonored sense vision are the only ways to do 1st person stealth without finding a way to give you a massive Field of View. You'd also need to make the enemies stand out from the backgrounds more than most games do

@Maf agree the stealth in Wolfenstein 2 is awful. The game really sucks up until after New York when the game kind of gives up on forcing stealth on you and just let's you play however. It took me a few weeks just to clear that level but once it was over I blazed through the rest in a day or two which I thought was great. 

I'm gonna try and put together an unusual opinion here that I don't see:  I really don't find Arkham style detective modes unimmersive. 

I think the opposite, in fact.  When I have a lot of the games mechanics communicated to me visually like that I can plan in a way where I feel fully engaged with the game and what can happen. 

The options that some games have to remove the HUD is one that is always lost on me since gameplay information affectively communicated visually and stylistically is something I find very immersive since it's impossible to have all of your senses represented in a game.  I love a good HUD. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's Dishonoured for me. That games stealth was so good. Mark of the Ninja is also pretty much perfect. MGS and Splinter Cell are great too, but I think they vary by game. Some of them are good and others just so-so. It's absolutely criminal we've not had a Splinter Cell for such a long time though.

HItman, I sort of get why people think it's a puzzle game, but then again aren't all stealth games puzzle games in a way? You're trying to get from A to B while remaining undetected, even if it's in plain sight. I'd count it. Blood Money is one of the greatest games when it comes to doing things in many different ways as well.You can go full stealth and completely ignore the disguises if you wish. There's something very satisfying about going into a level and only using the garrote on the target and then silently making an escape. It's probably aged really badly, but for a long time that was the pinnacle for me.

I have a real soft spot for PAYDAY2 stealth.It's janky as fuck with all the desync, but when you've a few friends all pulling in the same direction it's kind of exciting. Frustrating as hell when you have a weak link though.

The game I'm surprised nobody has brought up is Chronicles of Riddick. Or Alpha Protocol. Or maybe even Deus Ex.