passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Stealth games?

Maf

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell and the 6th best stealth based action game of all time 

Yeah Blacklist is the perfect mix between Conviction and Chaos Theory. 

Out of curiosity what are the other five best? And don't be a smart arse and list all the MGS games.

MGS

The Last of Us

Mark of the Ninja

MGS3

Dishonored

Splinter Cell Blacklist 

I would also maybe make an argument for the first Batman game but I’m not sure that’s stealth based as much as a 3D Metroidvania with strong stealth elements 

Just now, Maf said:

In 38th place

TPzSapuLoBel.jpg

Hitman, in particular Blood Money, is the ultimate stealth game. The highest ranking in Hitman means no one even knew you were there.

15 hours ago, Maf said:

MGS

The Last of Us

Mark of the Ninja

MGS3

Dishonored

Splinter Cell Blacklist 

I can’t decide on exact positions but my list off the top of my head would be:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Splinter Cell

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Hitman: Blood Money

Thief: Deadly Shadows 

Hitman: Absolution

Alien Isolation

The Last of Us

Dishonored 2

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

I don't like stealth games, really.  But there are the odd exceptions.  Hitman 2 and Blood Money since they felt more like puzzle games than most other stealth games.  And I think the idea of being able to hide in plain sight rather than navigating obtuse level designs just works for me more. 

6 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Hitman 2 and Blood Money since they felt more like puzzle games than most other stealth games.  

Interesting take, I love stealth games but when they stray too far into that puzzle solving style and it feels like there are very specific ways of beating an area, I lose interest. Volume was an example of this, a game I was really excited about but it barely even feels like a stealth game because each area has such a specific solution. 

My favourite stealth games tend to be ones where I can play around with systems and AI. The AI doesn't even need to be good, just fairly consistent. So something like MGS is a good example of this where the enemies have always been highly exploitable and stupid but it feels consistent, I generally know what's going to happen when I act and if ever i get frustrated with a section I can always mess about, stick C4 onto the backs of urinating goons and the like. 

One of my most fondly remembered games is The Mark of Kri on the PS2. Advertised as a hack n slash, it's actually much closer to a stealth game with some great mechanics for the time and really gory too. I went back to it a while back when it was rereleased on the PS4 and I still enjoyed it but it has aged quite a bit so it's difficult to recommend it to new players. 

One thing I dislike in modern stealth is the use of detective vision to handle things. Hitman 2016 does this but it gets away with it by being more of a puzzle stealther.

But it's why I don't really like TLOU, there's nothing about it that feels very clever or requires much planning. It just feels more like you need to stay away from these hotspots and you'll be fine. It's a bit better with human enemies and the ending section is where it actually clicks and turns into a hyper visceral 28 Days Later action/stealth game but most of the game isn't that.

I think mgsv ground zeroes deserves credit for its excellent map and how it's got multiple points of entry, enough ways to deal with problems without trivialising things and also feels very compressed and claustrophobic such that you feel in danger enough of the time. I feel like Phantom Pain lost this with its wider open world and the sheer volume of toys it gave you.

I've never been a huge steath fan, in fact during the PS2 generation I'd say I hated the genre. For whatever reason I really clicked with the new style of stealth games, Dishonored, Deus Ex and Thief, the latter two probably being sacrilegious to older stealth fans. 

I do like being able to take people out without being spotted in a game, but forced stealth sections can fuck off