passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

radiofloyd

49 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Sephiroth is a known quantity now so hiding him away is kinda pointless, narratively.  I think it is better they build up his relationship with Cloud through these mind games. 

I'd even like it if they did something different with the death of Aeris to try and catch people off guard. 

That said, the whole idea being that Sephiroth is only a known quantity to Cloud, but for the twist. The new mind games don't make sense narratively, unless they don't go through with the twist itself.

Something different with Aeris? Like make her interesting ?

The post-death Lore was the most interesting her character got. It would be nice if the Cetra were explored more. I wonder if she will still have her horrendously broken Ultimate Limit Break in this game?? 

Sly Reflex: I don't give a fuck about FFVII or its remake!

Also Sly Reflex: I desperately need people to see my opinion about a game I don't care about and know even less about because no one is talking about EDF 27 and I need to be noticed!

I don't give a fuck about the game, I was just chipping in, the Tifa thing was the first time I've even posted in the thread and this post will probably be my last.

Also the thread was started because I was playing FFVII at the time and there wasn't a thread. Go read the first post, I even mention that.

Peace out, cunts, especially you @RikSP, you massive sack of shite.

So the combat in this game sounds kind of incredible.

Aside from just being able to instantly swap characters with the left and right triggers you can also issue commands to a non controlled character by the bumpers.

Also it has this stance switch thing

Pk3dvCD.gif

Looks like "operator mode" is for breaking defences and "punisher" is for doing damage. FFXIII had this with ravagar and commando.

This is definitely not like FFXV, everything looks super solid and tangible.

What I mean mainly is how XV felt kind of loose, like you were holding attack and then holding defend. It felt disconnected a lot of the time. VII has way more direct player input it seems like, with the shortcut menus and stuff.

But obviously I'm only guessing at what's really going on here. I get way more of a Kingdom Hearts vibe than XV so far from the videos. Both games are Nomura and on Unreal engine so I'm betting there's some shared resources between them

Oh, I was wrong about something. You do hold the attack button down like FFXV ?

Max does an hour long deep dive into his playthrough of the demo

It's got combos and shit ?

Attacks have different properties (launch enemy, knock enemy back). Different blocks for low and high power attacks which affect your movement. Characters have "down states" and need to be rescued by other characters.

Team composition will actually matter in this game if the different character properties are really fleshed out.

Yeah, I watched that video a couple days ago. The combat makes me a lot less interested in the game, to be honest. I don't really find the idea of Fighter mechanics in RPGs all that appealing.

Thinking about it reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles. The SRPG genre up until that time (2008) had been in a bit of a rut. The games were generally good prior but, no one was really pushing the envelope, aside from the occasional innovation as in Ring of Red's team micro management. Valkyria Chronicles took the genre into 3D. It modernised the mechanics, all the while also remaining faithful to the genre, in general. The only Final Fantasy that has been faithful to its genre in recent years is probably 12, arguably 14.

I know quite a few long term FF fans that revile the mechanics they have employed since 13 and have largely tapped out of the series. Not out of "nostalgia" for turn based, or any of the other dismissive attitudes some decry such thoughts with. It is because they have switched the series genre, to Action RPG, by stealth. Maybe they just don't have the ability anymore to successfully continue to innovate and modernise the JRPG, as they had begun to with FF10. Or maybe they just didn't care to try?