passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

radiofloyd

It is a little concerning when they say the game is only two parts and part one doesn't even end at the midpoint of the game. There is a lot of game that is going to be squeezed into part two.

I thought about that and I was trying to think of what exactly happens in Disc 2

Spoiler

Disc 2=

Escape Junon

Fighting Two Weapons

Tifa leads team 

Cloud is found in Mideel

Tifa leaves to look after Cloud

Cid becomes leader

Huge Materia fetch quest

Tifa "rescues" Cloud

Return to Midgar

Disc 3 = Final Area

Other than the side quests such as the downed Sub, Emerald & Ruby, Wutai pt.2 and the advanced Chocobo breeding areas.. I think that is it. This is typically the part of the game, wherein you would grind to max out Limit Breaks. So perhaps I was thinking more of the length of the padding than the actual story beats...? 

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It is the midpoint of the game though. Disc 1 is half of the game. Disc 2 is shorter and disc 3 is just the final dungeon

This. 

I’m pretty sure the only reason disc 3 was a thing is because of how FMV heavy the second half of the story is. The end of disc 1 is the story’s midpoint. 

Disc 2 has a greater amount of stuff which can be thrown out, changed around. The huge materia quest isn't something you really need and that's the majority of disc 2 so there's a lot you can change there.

I would have Tifa be the main playable for at least half of the game but that's just me

4 minutes ago, OCH said:

The worst offender of that I recall was Disc 2 of MGS. They did eventually learn to evenly distribute the game onto each disc with FF8 and 9. 

This is just the reality of storage requirements. Disc 2 of mgs is like that probably because it has the longest mandatory codec conversations in the game (all that Naomi foxdie stuff)

Ffvii's final cutscene is 10 minutes uninterrupted, it had to be on its own disc

The game part isnt the cause. Funnily enough if you swap out a ffvii disc during gameplay the game plays as normal. All the disc 1 Midgar stuff is in disc 3 as well as disc 2 and so on. I had to do this as my discs were scratched, I played most of disc 1 on disc 3. Only thing was the cutscenes wouldn't play right.

A lot of Disc 2 was definitely 'filler'. The Ultimate Weapon/Limit Break side quests for every character. You could probably incorporate that into the initial visit to each respective place. I'm looking forward to how they do the Coral Train and chasing Weapon, in this new engine.

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Disc 2 has a greater amount of stuff which can be thrown out, changed around. The huge materia quest isn't something you really need and that's the majority of disc 2 so there's a lot you can change there.

I would have Tifa be the main playable for at least half of the game but that's just me

Thinking about the Huge Materia now, reminded me of Fort Condor. I wonder what they are going to do with that area?

It is funny you mention Tifa as the main character, as even before they have allegedly toned down Cid for the Remake, he wasn't a particularly noteworthy leader. His character basically revolved around Rocket Town. They didn't really expand him beyond that.

I do wonder, again if that list turns out to be true, why Vincent and Yuffie are no longer optional? Yuffie is very easy to miss but only really has two sidequests to her character. Vincent had some unique interactions and that's it.

39 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Because if they're gonna rework it like this I don't think they want people missing them. 

I mean, they could easily be planning to work them more into the plot. 

I'm hoping that is the case with Vincent. It was implied that he could have been Sephiroth's biological father. Yet all that Hojo stuff was so murky, there is plenty of room for interpretation. I'm glad they didn't try to add anyone new. The rumour says they are adding a new Summon, which sounds like a redundant lesser Hades. Also, can't wait to see how they have revamped Knights of The Round...

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I don't think they implied that, Vincent is just an incel that got cucked by Hojo.

After I looked up what an 'incel' was, this related line appeared next:

Vincent being Sephiroth's father is a common misconception, Vincent was in love with Lucrecia but the father of her child was Hojo.