passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

radiofloyd

Well,

I saw yesterday there was talk of an FFVII remake, and I was thinking to myself that really, it's not anything I'd be interested in. I have FFVII on my vita, and I dip into it from time to time, slowly rolling the game forwards.

I watched the trailer, and man, when the few notes hit from the opening of FFVII, I have to admit, I did get excited at the possibility of playing this with a shiny new exterior.

I wonder if my 10 year old daughter would want to play it?

The uprezzed graphics make me think that no is probably the answer, especially when *that* moment in the game happens

So it's no longer just a port of the PC version?

I thought that was already out. Seems not.

I am quite concerned about this remake. I was only half joking with my original comment. FF7 is so styliscally and tonally all over the place that it accidentally works. The comedy and mellow drama suits the wee fellas and those lanky fellas in the cutscenes and fights made some cool action scenes.

I think they could maybe make it work if they Wachowski it up to high heaven but this could turn out to be a much blander version of the story.

I hope I'm wrong.

So it's no longer just a port of the PC version?

I thought that was already out. Seems not.

I am quite concerned about this remake. I was only half joking with my original comment. FF7 is so styliscally and tonally all over the place that it accidentally works. The comedy and mellow drama suits the wee fellas and those lanky fellas in the cutscenes and fights made some cool action scenes.

I think they could maybe make it work if they Wachowski it up to high heaven but this could turn out to be a much blander version of the story.

I hope I'm wrong.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about it. The content of the game hangs on the janky looking graphics. The super serious games set it the same world ( and the anime) don't work because they look to cool.

• 5 months later...

Scenes from the intro.

Looks like they'll be basing the combat on Final Fantasy XV's, the game as a whole looks like to be running on that engine from what I can tell.

It seems like a lot of the original lines are in there, in their clunky glory so it does look like it is just pure fan service. The kids will wonder what we were on. When the kids tell me how crap the dialogue is I'll just turn my head and go "not interested".

It does look like more of a pro operation than it should be in that early scene; these guys did operate out of a dive bar. I am interested in playing it but its strange seeing what people working on this game think what FFVII is.

The dialogue made me laugh a few times but I don't think it was too bad there. I can foresee places where it will be if it stays like that, though. The bit with Barret and Dyne on the cliff being regretful dads comes to mind.

As time goes on reality reality is kicking in. I imagine it will just follow the main story beats with little of the actual RPG stuff. I've heard rumbles about there being no overworld as well.

Hate to write it off so early but I can't see an episodic RPG being that satisfying.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...