passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Box Boy + Box Girl

DANGERMAN

I don't really have a lot to say about Box Boy + Box Girl, it's another Box Boy, so if you've played one before it's more of the same. If you haven't, the game is a slow puzzle platformer. You're a box boy who can produce other blocks, you have to use this ability to get through the level. That might mean dropping 1 block so you can reach a new platform, making a row of 3 to make a bridge, or maybe building a staircase.

You're limited in the number of blocks you can produce depending on the level, which is where the puzzle comes from. Getting through the level is the basic task, but there's crowns to find, plus bonus rewards depending on how few blocks you've used. You have to get quite creative if you want to get all the bonuses while getting through the level

To give an example of how the levels work, I'm on a section with springs. Standing on a spring will launch box boy in the air, meaning he could then reach the next platform, but maybe there's spikes on the ceiling, in which case you're going to have to put a box on your head to stop yourself from hitting the spikes. Maybe the spring needs to be activated by a button, if so you'll need to find a way press the button while you're stood on the spring

by way of a tip, one of the things I've been doing is using my blocks to move me without making them permanent in the world, meaning they don't count against my wall

i've been playing this too, it's nice, but not great so far, each world has 7 levels and they so far introduce something new each world, but only really make interesting use of it in the last 1 or 2 levels in the world, so i'm hoping it picks up a bit soon. i remember quite enjoying the previous one that i played on the ds (3ds?) (i think the first game) so hopefully end up liking this a bit more too. 

I'm near the end of this. Actually I'm past the end of it, I've done the Box Boy levels, but after that a new set of levels called A Tall Tale open up, where you play as a double length block. There's also a set of levels where you play as Box Boy and Box Girl, but it's 2 player, so it'll have to wait until I have someone round.

In terms of difficulty it does pick up, but it's not an even climb. There's some levels, or even sections within levels, where you might feel the need to use a hint or check a guide, particularly to get the in-level crowns, there's at least one of these I don't think I'd have solved without watching a video. The next thing you do though will invariably be a piece of piss. There was a level where to get 3 badges I could only use 22 blocks, I used about 8 (it was a zero gravity level). There's weird tricks you can do that it feels the game hasn't always accounted for, then other levels where to get full marks you have to, there's no other way to do it other than to manipulate the game's flaws

I've enjoyed it a lot more as its gone on, as the difficulty has picked up. Thanks to how short the levels are it's very easy to pick up and play, ideal for handheld mode. Thanks to the unlockable story it feels like a full package too, there's also bonus puzzles to buy in the in-game shop

I just played the demo of this and although I enjoyed it I'm not completely sold. In terms of challenge, would you say this is worth picking up just to go through the levels or is it a bit mindless unless you are trying to hit those block limit challenges? Because I wasn't a huge fan of that aspect. 

• 2 weeks later...

been playing this really slowly and only just finished (box and rectangle levels), so not sure if it's a long game or i was just taking ages. anyway yeah i agree it picks up a bit as it goes on and gets better so i ended up quite enjoying it. but wouldn't say it's amazing, run out and buy it or anything like that.