passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of Thrones

Tomahawk Rob

43 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Please, let us not comic book another thread.

Calmness... We are talking about this lady [Sophie Turner]..

1547883132-Sophie_Turner_Game_of_Thrones

She stars in GoT and also some recent films. The More You Know...

Okey dokey. I was hoping someone would say if she were any good in GoT (I thought the character boring to the extreme in the first book) as in her [nameless big screen] appearance she seems, as an actress, a bit personality-lite.

I’ve never read any of the books, so went looking for the audio books earlier - 19 quid each!

The paperbacks are 30 quid for the whole set which is much more agreeable.

Someone in work told me there’s a theory that GRRM has actually finished at least one of the new books but is under contract by HBO not to release them until the series has finished. I was under the impression that he hasn’t been arsed.

It’s by far the weakest series and the finale is the weakest episode, but I liked it.

I’m on my own though, everyone I work with absolutely despises it. One person said he felt like he’d wasted several years.

It’s certainly been a rushed season to finish it off and they should’ve done a proper run of episodes and maybe even another series to do it properly.

2 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Is s8 as bad as they’re making out? Even my girlfriend thought the finale was boring and she likes some proper garbage. 

For me it’s just been a big mixed bag. There were some bits of it I thought were absolutely brilliant (especially visually), and other bits which were just god awful.

I certainly don’t think it’s the complete disaster that some are making out. I’m not one of those people who go “Well, I didn’t want that to happen, therefore it’s shit”. Sure, I understand people being personally disappointed - but it is what it is. 

There has been some pretty shitty writing and rather ropey dialogue throughout though, and that isn’t down to taste and shouldn’t be ignored.

Like I say, a mixed bag.

For me the biggest issue is Thrones is a show that has always excelled at character development and world building, partially because that is what the books (for better and worse) focus on, with some grand spectical used fairly sparsely throughout a season, coupled with for the first few seasons you didn't know which characters where going to live and die so there was some genuine tension to the show.

For me, beginning with season 6 and getting progressively worse, it's gone from character development to character types (ie good and evil, loyal and deciver etc) and too many fan favourite character have plot armour or just keep coming back because we like them (Bron I'm looking at you). It's also shifted to too much grand spectical that comes at the expense of good story telling, sure it's exciting at the time, but it rings a bit hallow.

That all being said, I've still really enjoyed it and it was satisfying seeing big events in this season that have been hinted at for years now. For me the last episode was the worst of the season and perhaps the worst episode of GoT, I'm not angry about it but a bit disappointed. It just wasn't very interesting, and didn't really sit well with the basic principles of how the show has worked throughout its entire run. 

For a show that had me literally on the edge of my seat shouting at the TV, it's a shame to see it go out with a whimper.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Someone in work told me there’s a theory that GRRM has actually finished at least one of the new books but is under contract by HBO not to release them until the series has finished. I was under the impression that he hasn’t been arsed. 

It's Barristan Selmy's actor who said this and GRRM has (angrily) denied it

This season has me thinking how sometimes it can be a mercy killing for a great show to get cancelled at its peak.

It's hard to look back at the earlier seasons and not feel that they're diminished by what comes later.

In that sense I've a little less trepidation about finally trying to read the books (cause the ending mightn't be good there either). I only read book 1 and found book 2 a bit boring but maybe I'll have another go.

6 hours ago, RikSP said:

I have to admit the final two seasons bring as poor as they are have made me want to read the books so I can (eventually) see how the story is supposed to end properly. 

I'd be surprised if the ending was going to be fundementally different, they'll just be a greater amount of explaination behind characters motivations and decisions.

The re-run has continued. Series 7 is underway.

David Attenborough narrates the finale:

And if you think I ran out of memes, you were sorely mistaken.

Memes IX - You're My Meme

AD904403-AB0A-4A87-92E9-0F357DA8B913.jpeg7B7CC342-8A8A-42C0-8651-E8D52BE1A700.jpegEFF3836E-E36B-46BB-ABDF-0B0E6095C10E.jpeg