passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of Thrones

Tomahawk Rob

I'm approaching the end of series 5. I'm sure I read that the general consensus is that the quality dipped after series 4, which I find extraordinary.

There's been some amazing moments in this series. Next series or the one after has some great memorable moments with Bran and the raven. There's also one of my favourite parts involving Sansa, Arya and Littlefinger.

This current series is rushed, no doubt, but everything else leading up to it has been fantastic. From watching so many threads bob and weave back and forth, I can only imagine that they made it shorter due to the focus switching to only a couple of locations and everyone coming together - all the threads that at the time seemed un-connected have finally woven together.

Not that it's not a flawed series, but I'm still enjoying seeing it all come to a crashing end.

Also, I always thought that Tyrion had the best lines, but watching it again, maybe it's the Hound.

Video contains the odd scene from series 8, for those cautious of spoilers:

On 17/05/2019 at 09:24, Blakey said:

I imagine some of these folks’ heads would’ve imploded at The Sopranos ending ?

I recall the extremely divisive ending to Quantum Leap. What would these people make of that, I wonder?

On 17/05/2019 at 09:20, Maf said:

The internet. Entitlement. Mass Effect 3? I can’t remember anymore 

I think Mass Effect 3 was the tipping point. Wherein creative vision was sold out to appease vocal dissent.

I've tried both with the books and the show to get into GoT. I got about 3/4 into the first book and about 3 episodes into the show, before losing interest. There is something about High Fantasy that is very hit and miss with me. But I do commend those that made the show for bringing something like this to TV with a reasonable enough budget, to enable a faithful aesthetic translation.  In the same vain, I'd love to see some Ian Irvine or David Gemmell adaptations follow suit. Or even Stan Nicholls' Orcs, although that is less likely.

Spoiler

Bran will end up doing something. Otherwise his role this season has been entirely pointless. But then, he’s an annoying weirdo anyway. So it’d be funny if nothing happens with him.

Dany is dead meat. That’s inevitable after last week. But I don’t see Jon killing her. He’ll just go “I don’t want it”, like he pretty much has the entire season. I reckon Arya will be the one to kill Dany. But, who knows.

Long as Tyrion survives, I’m good with anything else.

Spoiler

Tyrion kills Dany, John refuses the throne but becomes warden of the north, Gendry becomes king.

Bran sits down and chats bollocks, we see Sansa shortly after she sucks a lemon, Arya skulls off into the shadows.

All of Dany’s staff die.

Spoiler

Much like everyone else, I think it's moved everything along at to quick a pace, but that's been my main gripe with the show since season 6. I'm pretty happy with everyone's character arcs though. 

I think we've probably got a pretty good measure of how it will all be resolved now. I'd like Bron to get a last appearance, maybe end up on the throne. 

My prediction is the last 15-20 mins will be a time jump, maybe to the 'next winter' and we will see the ice dudes making a comeback.

I was thinking how the books and show differ from each other and how each one takes a different turn and I think it is as simple as the titles. Song of Fire and Ice: waring families trying to get control which is pointless as you have fire coming from one side and ice from the other and the battle for control is pointless. Game of Thrones, it all comes down to who's left standing at the end.

Spoiler

I loved the opening of the episode. The simulated Winter of the ashes arriving at Kings Landing and being brought by the man that had been trying to stop it was a really powerful moment. John had been warning everyone for so long that Winter would come if they didnt defeat the Night King, so seeing it coming after that was great. The imagery in that whole section was incredible. The big fascist flag, the armies, everything just looked so cool and menacing. Really top work. 

Dinklage put in a great performance when he found Cersei and Jamie's bodies. I think he's pretty shit in almost everything but he was really good here, the sadness and rage, towards Dany for doing it and towards himself for feeling sad that the family that hated him was now gone. Really elegant performance. 

After the time skip everything was fine, I guess. I'm not sure who is going to watch it and have this great sense of catharsis but nothing bothered me. It wrapped up nicely, it felt complete. The stuff at Kings Landing was kind if hammy but I liked the very end. The reminder that this was ultimately a story about the Starks. They all kind of get what they wanted at the start of the show. John gets to go north, Sansa becomes a Queen and plays dress up and Arya gets to live her life of adventure. It was sweet.  

Thumbs up. 

The more I’ve thought about it, the more issue I take with it.

Not where everyone ends up, but the whole wrap up felt rushed. It was like someone googled how to wrap up a show in one episode and copied and pasted. 

The dragon wings coming out of Dany was a shot that was too on the nose for me, especially with the scales/braids on her hair.

I’m surprised that Jon killed Dany and got away with it. Was at least expecting a big Grey Worm versus Jon showdown. Or Grey Worm beheads him.

But I’m fine with it. Weakest episode in the series, but it was never gonna end in a satisfying way for everyone.

I don't have anything to say cause I haven't seen it, but I saw that folio society have a special hardback of GoT1 and I'm tempted cause I like sexy looking books ?

https://www.foliosociety.com/winteriscoming

Btw, does anyone here have the issue with spoiler blocks where the spoilers flash in for a second? This thread is a bit of a minefield for me now ?

edit: not seen that happen, sorry 

I thought it was decent enough. Actually I think the first half is one of the better things in the whole show, the 2nd half not so much

Spoiler

the fascist colours on Dany's flag, her wearing black, and the conversation with John weren't the most subtle things ever, but that half is full of tension. I think the score really adds to it, it felt on a knife edge, we had no idea what Dany was going to do, whether she would kill John, what the unsullied would do. Tyrion throwing away the hand of the queen was great, stupid, but was going to make Dany do something she didn't really want to do, while also meaning she had to hear some home truths

After that is less great. Getting all the remaining cast together to say goodbye was a bit twee, felt like Lord of the Rings... or the Hobbit ?

I'm willing to see Sam as head of house Tully being called to the meeting of the great houses, but not that he'd see fit to pipe up, nor get on the council, he's basically doing his A Levels, surely they'd get someone qualified. Similarly giving Bronn the coin, he's not in any way qualified, surely he'd just want to retire and be rich any way. The reveal of the book was stupid, and Brienne finishing Jamie's story was cheesy, although it did act as a reminder of his achievements tbf

Largely though, from the minute Sam suggests democracy, while the show laughs at it, it brought in a level of cringe they shouldn't have invited

hardly the worst ending to a series ever, but I think I'd have preferred something a little more nihilistic