passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of Thrones

Tomahawk Rob

There's a big backlash against this episode

Spoiler

I get it, I think. It does seem to just deflate a big dramatic moment that the series has built up to that Winter finally comes and goes in a single night.

The WW threat was always supposed to cast the hard light of reality on how insignificant all the family feuds really were. But now it turns out all these world ending terrors are actually not that big a deal at all. Just a bunch of dumb zombos in the end. Cersei gets to have her cake and eat it

It did look and sound very cool though. I second that dreamlike comment, it felt like a GoT episode formed like a drone metal album or something. They sold the whole "they are death" thing I think.

I just can’t be arsed with Bran. I don’t find him an interesting character at all. 

Spoiler

What the fuck was he even doing during the battle? Ok, he was warging. But into what? What was he doing? Fuck all, it seems. 

Will he become the Night King? Won’t he? I honestly don’t give a fuck either way. He’s a completely boring character.

Even him thanking Theon before he sacrificed himself didn’t feel genuine. Sure, he said “You’re a good man. Thank you”. But his tone of voice just didn’t carry emotion to me at all. His delivery is bland, and meh. 

He didn’t even show emotion at Theon getting stabbed. No look of shock on his face. No emotional cry of “No!” Absolutely nothing.

So yeah. Fuck Bran.

Spoiler

So I get why people are upset. I was thinking that the final episode was going to be the final battle against the night King. 

You could argue that all the plot points we have been leading to got wrapped up in a bit of a wet fart. 

Or. 

Be excited about what the fuck is actually going on. Bran keeps saying how everyone was where they needed to be. Was he so stoic because he knew that if the night King killed him, then it does not matter, because everyone dies. Was Bran trying to get wheels in motion to bring down cersi or is there something else that he knows and we don't? 

I'm very interested to see West next week is all about 

7 minutes ago, Middle_Class_Hero said:

I don’t mind him TOO much as he’s not on screen long enough to really irritate me.

Hide contents

The whole “ warging into the crows” thing was a bit pointless though. I didn’t see any need for it other than to get a nice camera shot.

This was my only gripe. 

I think that this episode did not need to be that long

Yeah I did mention that fact, but it's just symptomatic of the whole thing feeling a bit contrived to have a big battle. 

I mean

Spoiler

They essentially did F all. Bran could've sat under the tree and let Night King walk up to be in the exact same exposure essentially for Ayra to do a Nightcrawler and just appear out of thin air. Surrounded by the dead, who can hear blood droplets, she burst in to get to him ?

I dunno man. It'd been better if we had a shot of her hiding in the tree. The one made so much fuss on. Or even better one of the Dead generals walk up and stab the Night King. They all explode with just the one left standing, Bran all like wtf ? pulls the mask of and tadaaa it's me Arya muthafucka ?

If you think about the end of LotR the battle was a distraction to focus attention there. So the small group could sneak in and do what they needed. I thought this might play out similar. A way to isolate the Night King so certain players could bring him down. But no ingenious planning seems to have been done. Ayra stabs him. Because. 

Jon forewarned of the dead coming. He and Sam figured out Valyrian steel and dragon glass worked (I think ?). Jon United the armies. He did a lot, granted. Just felt muted. 

But what's that say of Bran? ? Am I missing somethin? Did he do anything? 

Like I say I'm nitpicking. The writing is obviously gone down hill a bit to me in the later series. But on the whole it's been fun ??

You can kind of see where they’re coming from.

Spoiler

White walkers. The biggest threat for 8 seasons. Totally taken out by a one-shot from Arya.

I don’t have an issue with it. I enjoyed the episode. But with 3 episodes left,it does feel a bit of an anticlimax now it’s just Cersei. They took out a literal army of the dead. Cersei,that slimy twat,and the Golden Army are chump-change compared to that.

Add two dragons into the mix,and it seems like a piece of piss. It won’t be, of course. But I certainly see why people are comparing Night King to Snoke. Acting all Billy Big Bollocks, taken out in one hit.

I don’t get it?! Why all the backlash? I thought it was a fantastic episode! Can see what some people are saying in a way but that’s what it’s all been building up to happening really, it’s been pretty well telegraphed. & I can’t wait to see 

Spoiler

Cersei get fucked up! Hopefully anyway. Fucking Bitch! 

Spoiler

Soon as the dead overwhelmed Winterfell, it was obvious the Night King had to die. There was no way anyone would survive otherwise. 

I think people are pissed off that it was Arya, and not John. That Arya ninja attacked out of thin air,somehow getting past a ton of the undead to do that. 

And that for all the bigging up made of the Night King, he went down easily. No epic battle, no fighting back. Just stab, done.

I liked it. But you can see why people didn’t.

Spoiler

I've been trying to understand it, and a lot of it has to do with how invested you are with the lore and the prophecies that have been set up. Which is all shite I'd completely forgot or missed, but the White Walkers were supposed to be the extreme existential threat to Westeros, not the Lannisters. Then there is this Messiah figure called Azoi Azah or something like this which was predicted by Melissandre who spends her entire arc of the show courting would be kings who she can see fulfilling the role

But now the threat is extinguished just as soon as it began and all the importance attached to this stuff seems silly in retrospect. But I suppose also that's kind of like Got in a way.

Basically it's kind of like the backlash to LOST, where a lot of the islands secrets didn't actually matter. Again though I thought about none of this while actually watching the episode cause I forgot what half the fucking shit happened in earlier seasons was. A dwarf got a blowjob and some cunt got his hand chopped off, this is all I remember lol ?

This part isn't a spoiler, but I also imagine we're seeing the effect of disappointed book readers who know that GRR isn't going to finish the books spilling over into TV fandom. It's the only chance of an ending they have and their deeper investment is why they might have the more extreme reactions maybe.

I know that the show overtook the books at some point - where did they overtake it?

I was also under the impression that the show made its own path after the first couple of seasons, regardless?

I’ve heard that GRRM isn’t happy about the conclusion. I’m wondering if it’s because of the events of the most recent episode or other things.

@Hendo the end of season 5 has the same cliffhanger as the last book, but the shows have shuffled, added and removed stuff since season 2, but predominantly stuck with GRR's writing. From season 5 they are writing their own interpretation of events.

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I suppose... I don’t know I just think people actually want to hate stuff when it becomes big enough. I was blown away by it, one of the best episodes of any show I’ve seen. On edge of my seat all way through and it looked spectacular. The battle was near Endgame good which for a TV show isn’t nothing short of incredible.

Spoiler

I also preferred the fact it was Arya, not John. Although I agree, it was odd how she managed to appear out of nowhere. I’ve seen people disappointed that there was no epic battle with the Night King. But they’d always made him out to be a unbeatable warrior really so having John be able to stand toe to toe, with him wouldn’t fit with me either even as good as they make John out to be. The only way is by stealth/surprise. 

I don’t know, I think it’s iust another case of people showing how cool they are by not liking the current popular thing. Which I’m guilty of doing sometimes too, I admit. But it’s getting more and more tiresome and far too predictable now. Everyones a critic. 

I think most criticism I've heard are valid ones. I share them, a but I still liked it. That's not to take anything away from the direction and camera work in that battle. Beautiful stuff at times and it'll be one I remember. 

I'm keen to see how the book does progress as I've no doubt GRR Martin deals with it with a little more thought. 

I’m fine with the plot points, largely.The literal darkness, though, where it was difficult to make out what was going on, that wasn’t great.

I’ve just finished the first series again.

A few take aways from it:

Sam has lost a lot of weight over the years.

The budget must’ve gone up considerably. I’m sure it wasn’t cheap back then, all the costumes, sets, effects, well known actors, different countries, etc.

But you can see the difference in money.

One plot point I either didn’t notice at the time or didn’t realise the significance of was that the blind Maester on the Wall was a Targaryen, in fact the great uncle of one of the Watchers, unbeknownst to both of them.

Series 1 points with spoilers for the most recent episodes:

It’s actually Arya who’s telegraphed as the ultimate warrior/assassin from the start. That she ends up killing the Night King makes total sense when you start over.

Largely watching the episodes on a TV in a Conservatory the lighting has been an issue for a good few seasons now, I thought it was just the glare of the Sun through the roof though and I was surprised to see so many others having issues.

As for the latest episode. I liked it a lot

Spoiler

but it didn't hit the heights of previous battle episodes for me, the battle itself was so confusing to follow what was exactly going on and why, I couldn't really understand why Daeny and John were just flying about on Dragons the whole time and not getting stuck in. I also didn't understand the bit where they have to light the perimeter - why not just get the Dragons to do it? The bit with Arya in the library was a bit odd too really, that whole scene could've been cut and no one would've cared.

Killing off the Night King felt so anticlimactic as well. I like that is was Arya that did it, there had been plenty of foreshadowing for years and years that Arya would eventually turn into a badass Assassin - the hit list, the whole training on Braavos for years, poisoning the Frey's etc. - but it just felt like this battle should've been the finale, not the 3rd episode in the season if that makes sense. I knew as things were going so horrendously during the battle that either the Night King would die somehow or the Lannister army would turn up and bail them out (much like what happens with Sansa and John in the Battle of the Bastards) and I was right. I was still surprised when it happened, me and the Missus let out at audible 'oh shit!' when she flicked the knife caught it then plunged it into his sternum. 

So I can definitely understand why people are pissed. They've been building up the White Walker/Night King threat for donkeys years now and then the threat of them has passed in pretty much one battle, so it is disappointing the Night King eventually didn't amount to much at all. 

I'm still looking forward to seeing what happens in the remaining episodes now, particularly as they're all 80+ minute ones I believe. But I'm pretty sure it's going to end up in a big battle between the Targaryan's and Lannisters now.

Regarding your first spoilered paragraph:

That’s why they were up there flying around - they were meant to rain down fire and light the perimeter. They had a signal planned and everything but with the storm and smoke they couldn’t see, so the people on the ground had to light it.

As for the Night King’s quick demise, I had been told ahead of the episode that this was entirely just the battle against the Walkers and they would wrap up the other stuff after it, so I went in pretty much knowing that he would die. I do hope they reveal how exactly she snuck past zombies who can hear blood drop on the floor, though.