passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mortal Kombat 11

mfnick

Finally got to make a start on this today. I’ve only played the story mode so haven’t had any grind bullshit and can’t comment on that but 1st impressions are very strong! I’m fucking loving it. It feels great, looks genuinely incredible, the violence is glorious and hilarious and as always the story is far, far better than it should be. The feel and flow of combat so far feels just right IMO. 

Special mention to the imagination and animation of the moves too. Reminds me of when I was young and just wanted to witness all the characters moves and specials because they look so good. 

Anyone else playing it?  

I've played up to the beginning of chapter 4 in story mode, and it's been bloody excellent so far. It's so polished!

The tutorials at the start are very good at showing you the basics, I might have a go at the advanced ones at some point if I think I can press all the buttons at the right time.

If you download the mobile MK game and link it to MK11, you get daily bonuses between them which could be handy. 

8 minutes ago, Nag said:

Just in case you were unaware two modes of this are unusable without a online connection... not sure if it's the same on PS4 and Xbox but that may become a problem with the portability of the Switch. @OCH

True. Tower and The Krypt, not overly fussed about them. Story Mode, Arcade Mode and VS are the only bits that have ever really interested me. Especially as the Krypt isn't for unlocking new Kharacters anymore, it is kind of redundant.

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Cool... just checking.?

I did hear they are slowly trying to "fix" what has happened with the Tower and the Krypt IE backlash damage control, which may be another reason MK 11 was delayed on the Switch? Who knows, I may eventually bit the bullet and go online with the Switch... Preferably after I get a TV for it.

The krypt in the Switch version is fucking laughable!

In other news Im still loving this. Noob Saibot is cool as fuck. Story mode is fantastic, some of the action scenes are just laugh out loud amazing. Completed  and fully satisfied. Currently going through all the characters in the towers. Just over half way through them. The krypt is a pretty neat little adventure mode type thing too.

Bad points? The grind is real. Every time I do a tower I get about 10 hearts, it takes 100- 250 to unlock the chests. Same with the Koins and souls, I’m earning about 1-2 chests worth per run through. And there seems to be literally hundreds of chests to unlock. 

Just as bad are the armour augments. You need to level up armour to equip them and it takes far too many battles to be able to level them up to do so. Which is preventing me from even trying/equipping new equipment. The amount of stuff is also a bit overwhelming to the point it’s paralysing and I don’t really want to even engage in it. I think X did a better job of showing he differences between the variations of the characters too. I also preferred the X Ray moves in X. The Fatal Blows are technically more impressive and fun but I miss seeing he bones and guts exploding, some of them really feel like hey were made as X-ray moves too before they decided to not bother. Such as Shao Kahn’s, his is basically krushing you with his hammer but doesn’t stand out as much as it would with the X Ray effect. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed the Story mode, really enjoyed it. The usual Netherealm level of quality. The tutorials are brilliant, being able to see the speed you’re expected to put an input in, is really helpful. 

Unfortunately, the praise stops there. The grind is absolutely ridiculous. After finishing the story, and a few towers, I had enough hearts to open one of those chests. 250 to do another one? Nah, no thanks. Especially when all the Krypt is randomised, so you may end up with stuff for a character you don’t even like. 

The Armour/augment system is an absolute joke. Doesn’t even bother explaining itself, gameplay showers you with tat that you have no idea what it’s even for. And levelling up is beyond a chore. They seriously fucked up with this system. MK10 is far superior in that respect. Sure, it had “pay to unlock Easy fatalities”. But at least it was straightforward. This is just a fucking mess. I hope they go back to the drawing board for MK12, as this system just doesn’t work. 

So, worth renting for the Story mode. But I’m glad I didn’t buy it. As so much of it is an absolute ball-ache.

I watched Story Mode on YouTube, in light of my cancelled Switch port. Personally I wasn't impressed. These story modes seem to have gotten progressively worse since MK 9. They should just scrap it and develop arcade mode based story again. They do seriously need to go back to square one with MK 12.

• 1 year later...

Anyway, some time ago someone (yes I've forgotten already) was asking for YouTube recommendations. Let's Players and such. Given Maf and HD are currently enjoying Dragon Ball Fighterz I thought to combine the two here.

Ketchup and Mustard are among the absolute best for MK Kontent. So I thought this thread might be a good place for this video.

25 minutes ago, mmmark said:

Use me @OCH

Completely misread that at first ?

I did actually look in the Games threads. Didn't see MK on the first couple pages. Then I vaguely remembered there was a news thread too.

Managed to get the game + Aftermath bundle for £30 in Xbox sale a couple of days ago - sold the base game for £30 not long ago so basically cost nothing for the extra content :) Looking forward to giving it the expansion and extra characters a go. 

That's a good deal! I'll keep my eye out for MK X & 11 when I get the PS5. Hopefully they will be part of the same back catalogue as Bloodborne and the rest, already advertised.