passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Days Gone

Nag

I just got to the second area and the new characters are so fucking hammy I had to turn it off so I have some time to get used to it. The game has been so humourless up until this point that introducing this fucking OTT colonel and stoner dude I'm like, WTF is this game? Ham is great, I love ham, it's salty and delicious but without humour it is just people being bad at their jobs and I'm hoping the writing and acting doesn't take a nosedive from here since I was just starting to get invested in it. 

The Colonal just gets more absurd. If you go to watch his speeches there's one where he goes full right wing zealot, damming everyone to hell, then takes a second to say "not the gays though, or the trans, they're alright" because it's a Sony game. 

It's such an odd ill-fitting game 

Doubt i will be bothering with any of that. Getting closer to the end now and I think I fully hate the game. The story has just become complete nonsense and things that were a bit like, "ehh I'm not really feeling that" have become painfully tedious and the only real joy i am getting from the game is smashing newts with nail bats and ranting about how i wont go into the shop for them. Yeah of course it's cathartic but not worth putting up with the rest of the game. 

It'll be awhile before I attempt any of that (if I attempt it at all)... to be honest I find the updates to narrative driven games a bit irritating after I've gone to the trouble of getting the Platinum... woe is me, eh.

I finished this. It's such a strange game and I thought it was so awful but I honestly miss it. It was so unique in a lot of ways and Deacon was the most interesting main character since Aiden Pearce.

The difficulty of the game is completely fucked with the hordes being hyped up as this unkillable behemoth and then near the end they all show up on the map and you can just gun them down without any thought. Then the bigger hordes just kind of break and can easily be kited away to a distance that their AI just seems to turn off and they wander back to their staging grounds. I think the hordes were either all too big so that they broke, or too small so they were no challenge. 

The only real difficulty came from the one in the sawmill and that was only hard because once again, the AI was kind of broken so the horde would split in two, then as I was gaining ground I would run back into the other half. Once the horde stayed as one group I did really easily. 

Then there was the ending which was dumb and I just tran through with my axe swearing because the enemies had huge health pools but did no damage. I didn't have my sniper on me so it was easier and quicker to just hack my way through. Then there is a QTE because of course there fucking is.

Overall, complete trash but so glad I played it because as an experience I can't think of a lot else like it. Only really stuff like FFXIII and AC Unity which were made by committee compare. I think down the line a lot will come out about this, the troubles with development and interference from Sony, cut content and changes in creative direction throughout development. Can't wait. 

Skin looked amazing in this scene though. 

20190608_191521.jpg

I mist have been using the wrong gun (it's entirely possible because I liked it for fighting humans), but I never really found shooting the horde particularly effective, I was full on traps and molotovs

This got a huge patch recently adding some more stuff to the world. I'll probably never find out what that is

I went LMG all the way as soon as I tried it. That combined with bullet penetration was a beast. Once I got the napalm Molotov I used them a lot as well but the LMG definitely did the lions share. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I got this on PC after reading this thing: https://docseuss.medium.com/playthis-days-gone-lets-talk-about-open-world-games-49ae3aff5833

This was brought on by listening to the latest castlesuperbeast podcast where this dude was on it and made a fairly convincing argument for why this game deserved another chance, and apparently it was way buggier at release. Right now a couple hours in it's the most vanilla boring generic shit I've seen in a while, but I set it to hard mode and giving it a chance of a couple hours (or past the tutorial) to see if it really is as dynamic with its systems as this dude contends.

Visually I don't think it's that impressive, even on PC. Getting to that point where last gen lighting is holding games like this back a bit when they are getting re-released years later.