passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

World War Z

AndyKurosaki

Ok, so I wasn’t expecting a lot from this. The movie was a pale imitation of the excellent book. I’d seen almost nothing about this til it was nearly out. Having not heard of the developer,I googled them to see their track record. The absolutely awful Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn was on the list,so I didn’t have a lot of faith in this game.

But I’ve just played through the first 3 missions (or Episode 1), and it’s actually fun. The “Left 4 Dead But 3rd person” call is bang on the money,as that’s exactly what this is. From the weapons,to the “here’s a supply drop point”, to the Medkits (hold down on the dpad to heal,either yourself or a mate”. Even down to the “special” zombies (puker,leaper,tank). It literally is a L4D clone. That’s no bad thing, of course. As L4D was bloody awesome, and thanks to Valve not being arsed about making games anymore (Artifact doesn’t count, as that’s practically done for), it’s the closest we will ever get. 

Still, it’s not just a mere clone. It adds the pyramid swarms that appeared in the film. Throws in automated defences (turrets/mines/barb wire) for tense horde moments. 

And it also adds perks/customisations to your weapons. You level up your class through gameplay, i’ve gone for medic,as support is how I roll. By ranking up, you gain access to better perks (heal faster, heal everyone with 1 med kit etc). By killing enemies with specific weapons, you rank that type up, gaining access to better weapons which you buy with money acquired from finishing missions. 

There’s 4 player co-op,obviously. And a VS online mode, which I haven’t tried yet.

It has issues. Apparently some people are having their save file wiped on PS4. The game completely crashed on mission 2,to the point I had to switch my PS4 off at the plug due to it hard-locking,which sucks. And it’s allegedly a bit of a pain to party up with friends online,but I haven’t done that yet, and a private server patch is coming soon allegedly. 

Still,for what it is,it’s fun. If you enjoyed L4D at all, it’s fair to say you’ll like this.

I am keeping an eye on this. If they fix it I'm all over it.

Although if I'm being perfectly honest, Valve shouldn't be dragging their heels on more L4D. I'm pretty disgusted they've left that series in the past, out of all the games they're known for L4D is the one I'd assume would be the easiest to put together.

Valve are dragging their heels, full stop. Steam gave them a source of income that got them complacent, to the point they can’t be bothered to make games anymore. They did their first in years in 2018, and the best they could come up with was a mediocre card game. That got a kicking, and is practically dead now. 

They’ll never be what they were ever again. 

I just want more A to B stuff that's co-op for 4 or more players.I mean we've had stuff like Vermintide but I wasn't so sold on that whole aesthetic or the melee focus combat. I own the second one and I'm going to try it at some point, but I don't think it'll be as good as L4D.

We've also had co-op horde stuff like Killing Floor 2. I actually really like that game, but I wish it was more focused on traversal than it is. It basically boils down to going to one part of the maps and holding out every time. Going from point A to point B is the thing that sort of makes those games and I'm really hoping that something like GTFO can capitalise on that. Or maybe just World War Z finding a big audience that shows that people are into this sort of stuff when it's done right.

It's such an easy concept to fuck up as well. Although it wasn't a 1:1 The Division tried doing it with The Underground DLC they did, it was kinda ass because the objectives were terrible and sucked the fun out of it. It never felt like fun, it just felt like a chore that could be over in the blink of an eye because of the terrible balancing and aforementioned objectives. L4D could be like that but it never felt like it was out of your hands. Maybe because you had to grind to do stuff in The Underground. I dunno.

Keep us posted on this @AndyKurosaki, Hopefully it carries on shining once/if it's all fixed up.

I definitely intend to sink some time into this, when I can. Two of my mates will have it,so I’ll be playing with them when our schedules allow. I did read an article that claimed the multiplayer wasn’t straightforward,that though you can party up,you can’t then for instance choose exactly what episode you play,or where you start, so you can end up beginning a mission halfway through,or even at the end of it.

I’ll give the PVE mode a go,but I don’t know if your class perks/weapons carry across,if so it could make things a bit unbalanced for people that have access to better guns. We shall see.

This wasn't on my radar at all but then I just happened across this ACG review (linked below) and it really surprised me how great it looked. Next month or June I should be able to afford to dive right in, looks bloody amazing.

Also - somewhat unrelated to this thread - Vermintide 2 is amazing and should be played.

Hit a brick wall at the end of episode 2 of Jerusalem. Pretty sure it was the end of the mission,had to find 3 car parts to repair the escape vehicle. I found the first 2 no bother. But I’ve no idea how you reach the 3rd. It showed the silhouette of it. But I couldn’t find how to reach it for the life of me. After 2 minutes a massive swarm headed my way,and that was me and my AI team completely boned. Will have to YouTube what the hell it wanted me to do,as I don’t fancy a repeat of that.

Tried the PVE mode,and it’s absolutely awful. You have a separate levelling up class to the campaign. I got thrown into a “Capture the Objective” style match,halfway in progress, with a ton of high ranked players,with better gear/perks than me. And it was an absolute meat grinder. Pretty much every enemy one-shot me,and my guns did precisely fuck-all against them. It was an absolute chore, and I won’t be bothering with that mode again. 

Ah yeah,it’s PVP that I was on about. Though it’s PVP V zombies at the same time. Whatever it was,it was about as much fun as banging your head against a brick wall. And to be avoided,in my opinion. There’s a trophy/achievement for doing 50 matches,but that can fuck right off. 

Managed to complete the episode of Jerusalem I was stuck on. YouTube for the win,it’s a pretty simple section to get past,when you know where the car parts are. For some reason,it glitched for me, leaving a glowing area for the location of a part,where I had no chance of physicallly getting to. 

Third chapter of that episode,I managed first time. So that’s two episodes down, two to go.

Finished the Campaign mode. Two of the missions were a right pain in the arse, because failing any part of a mission leads to doing it all over again from the start. But,I’ve finished the first run through on Easy.  Started again on Normal, which is worthwhile as you gain more XP, to buy better perks/guns. Missions on Easy give you 150xp. Most perks cost at least 250,guns go from 250 to 500 and up. Though the higher difficulties you go for, the less supplies you have, and friendly fire is more damaging.  And if you’re playing with 3 AI, friendly fire happens a lot. Getting the trophy for finishing a mission with no friendly fire took some doing. 

Now two of my mates have it, I can give co-op a go when we find the time. It’s definitely a more enjoyable game than I thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Put around 4-5 hours into this.

It doesn’t do much new in terms of gameplay and obviously zombies have been done to death at this point but it’s just a ton of fun.

I really do think for L4D fans this is the closest you’re going to get really. Vermintide is very similar in terms of systems but is very different mechanically and environmentally, it has a medieval aesthetic and melee combat focus that differentiates it completely from L4D -along with rats instead of Zombies of course. 

But here the systems are are very similar, it’s very similar mechanically, the zombies are very similar in lots of ways - fast moving intelligent zombies - but there are still cool little differences.

It’s in 3rd person, the zombie hordes are incredibly huge, more intelligent in being able to build pyramids and scale walls which makes them that much more menacing. There’s more of a focus on machinery like turrets, putting down defensive equipment like electrified fences, firing mortars and things like that.

I know next to nothing about the book but some of the environs remind me of the film in the Jerusalem and New York episodes. Tokyo and Moscow seem completely different to anything I know from the film. Each of the episodes feel incredibly distinct from one another with a whole new group of characters you play as as well.

There’s so much replayability in there too. You have 8 different classes you level up individually which all seem very different from one another and on top of that you’ve got tons of weapons you can level up and customise. There are about 4 or 5 difficulty options too but I’ve only experienced the first two, the hordes on the highest two difficulty levels will be bananas. It’s definitely not an easy game by any means, making you work for a hard fought victory.

So yeah, if you were a fan of L4D I’d say this is pretty much as good and as close as you’re gonna get to that with some nice new ideas and differences baked in there too. No reason not to dig right in, you’ll love this if you were a fan of Valve’s zombie shooter.

Highly recommended. 

The book is genuinely outstanding, which it would be, coming from the guy that wrote the equally brilliant ‘The Zombie Survival Guide”.

I knew the film of WWZ wouldn’t compare to the book. But I was still massively disappointed in it. It had pretty much piss-all to do with the book. 

The game is brilliant though.

I’d definitely recommend them both. ZSG goes into great detail the preparation you’d have to go into, from the weapons (and practicality of them) to general survival tactics. Progressing from “how to survive a city of zombies”, to “what to do when the world is overthrown, and the living are now the minority”. Really interesting.

WWZ is a collection of interviews from various groups (army, civilians), spanning a varied time frame (before the virus spread, the chaos of the zombie apocalypse, what life is like after it). Some of the stories are better than others. But there’s one in particular, of an ex soldier recounting the tale of an infamous battle in New York, that’s absolutely brilliant.

When they announced the film, I had no idea how they’d make it work. And unsurprisingly, it didn’t. It had almost absolutely nothing to do with the book, and may as well have been called something else entirely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is £20 at the moment on PS4 (weekend offer) so I picked it up and it's great but holy shit my tolerance for other people has reached an all time low. I thought it was bad in Overwatch but this is just AI. The AI literally does the same thing all the fucking time and people still can't play the game. How fucking hard is it to follow a little marker on your screen and shoot at the bottom of a stack of zombies? That's all they have to do and their god damn potato brains can't manage. Holy fuck. I'm about to have a fucking aneurysm here dealing with these starch based lifeforms.

Some old dude that hates Muslims is like ay fellas grab some car parts for us yeah and I did this in about 30 seconds when I played with AI. With a full group of four we failed, well we didn't fail that. It took ages to collect the parts (9 in a group, 3 solo) and then when we did a couple of cunts decide to stick around and make out with vomit spewing walking dead. Which is fine if they want to die, in fact that is my preference in games and life. But the game won't let you advance if your teammates are just incapacitated. So they are just lying on the floor, too far away to help because I've got no health left because I just had to collect 9 car parts on my own and then the whole horde is like, ay what up lmao and kill me. So all they had to do was stand in a box and they couldn't. Mere seconds away from victory and we lose. Why? Why are you like this humanity? 

I remember playing Payday back in the day and whenever a heist wast ready to be finished you'd always have some sub human filth who would just stand around shooting cops for fucking ever. At least here it makes sense since you can get weapon XP but even so. Just be smart about it, stand near the objective and bug out when you need to. Cunts. 

Anyway, cool game. If anyone wants to pick it up I have it digitally so it's not going anywhere.