passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Surge

Hendo

Looks like there's no thread for this, then?

Continuing my random bite-size gaming journey, I started this earlier.

I love a lot about it. I love the style and world they've built - instead of dragons, knights and demons, this is a Souls clone with mechs, basically.

There's some cool twists on the Souls formula, like you can target specific body parts.

This has some element of strategy to it - you could go for an un-armoured head or leg for a quicker death, but if you target an armoured part and do a finishing move, there's a chance of cutting that body part off and putting it on you. That guy has a cool headpiece? Target it and swipe it off.

I played a couple of hours before it crashed and nearly beat the first boss, but he did have some fucked up attack patterns.

I made some good progress before that but nearly got stuck on a mini-boss that killed me in one hit, with a drone by him an an extra tough enemy  hiding behind him. My Souls experience has taught me that I shouldn't be there yet, so I eventually found the proper way forward.

Apparently it loses its appeal after a few hours but I've enjoyed the time I've put into it and it cost me nowt. 

Beat the first boss now.

Second attempt after coming back and the bastard fell over.

Changed my weapon for something a bit slower but harder hitting, seems a cool weapon.

I watched a video on it which helped with one move I hadn’t thought of (a sliding attack which helps you get under the legs easily) but he also recommended keeping your distance which I’m not sure I would agree with. Either way, first boss is down.

It seems more locked in maps than Souls. After the boss went down I got on a train which led to another area, so I might make my way back at some point and try to take down the mini boss I left.

I also have a drone now. Very weak but looks like you can make them pretty strong.

Triple post for the absolute win.

Mostly for the benefit of @Sly Reflex who watched me struggle with the first boss earlier.

Well now I’m wielding a bit of that boss as my weapon!

And I went back and smacked fuck out of the mini-boss I was stuck on before that. And his mate hiding behind him. I was hoping to get something good out of him but nope.

In theory at least, this is the Souls clone that Monster Hunter players should appreciate. Defeat someone and then wear or wield part of them later down the line.

I will go back to Sekiro, just not right now. I need a clear head to make my way through that and I’d much rather play lots of different games right now.

On topic, The Surge is scratching that Souls itch.

I really like some of the ideas it has and the setting is cool as fuck. The environmental story telling is a bit too on the nose, though. Like, graffiti next to a clearly poisonous green mist over an area that says, “it burns!”

And lots of graffiti that slags off the corporation you work for, and “don’t forget your roots!”.

Done some grinding in this for a couple of hours. I now look fully mech more than man.

There's some interesting design decisions in this which is a little more thought out than you would expect out of a Souls clone.

So there's a risk reward at play, even more than normal.

You have your health and stamina bars as usual. But you also have a blue energy bar.

This fills up as you hit things but will gradually deplete.

You can use this energy for a variety of different things, depending on what implants you have equipped.

For example, I've got an implant that uses energy to bring back health, separate from the healing estus flask type thing. I could also use that energy to fire my drone out to damage or get the attention of an enemy. Another implant I have will give me 10% health back if I use my energy to do a finishing move on someone.

And that's the main use of energy - you could use it all on health and drones, but you really want to use it a lot for doing finishing moves so you can steal people's gear for parts and upgrades.

So you have to constantly balance what you want out of a fight. If it's purely to stay alive, best to use a health boost.

But right now I'm grinding out one of the enemies' gear so I don't really want to be using it at all before I get to him.

Even if I never get any further than where I am, I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Spent about 90 mins on this, and seems promising so far - reached an area where I now need to acquire body lights, so still quite close to the starting area, but I've powered up a couple of weapons, got some limb mods etc.

It does seem fairly similar in structure to Lords of the Fallen, which isn't a bad thing (since despite dubious reviews I actually quite enjoyed that too).

Only slight disappointment is I'm going away for the long weekend so won't get to play it again for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've played this for about 8 hrs, and just reached the 2nd boss (who seemed to have no problem killing me whilst I tried to figure what on earth was going on).

But whilst I'm enjoying it, it does seem unforgivingly tough in parts, especially getting one-shotted by leaping mechs. I feel it's a bit more Bloodborne than Souls too, since there's an emphasis on offence rather than the defensive plodding that saw me through DS 1-3.

Not too sure of the collecting mechanism either, selecting and hacking off body parts give bonus crafting materials, but the drops seem quite hit & miss (I've been farming legs for components to buff my Lynx leg armour for ages without much success).

There's some interesting ideas here though, so glad I'm giving it a try.

On 06/05/2019 at 10:59, shinymcshine said:

So I've played this for about 8 hrs, and just reached the 2nd boss (who seemed to have no problem killing me whilst I tried to figure what on earth was going on).

You got further than me, then!

I’ve gotten a little stuck - once you get to where the enemies use laser guns mounted to the ground, I can’t get much further.

How do you take out the robots that repair themselves quickly?

Robots that repair themselves ??

Are they the welding bots that have a weak rear leg? I just frantically  attack,  a  lot, with a heavy weapon.

As for laser guns, I distract them with the drone, dash in and kill.

Also did you realise that you can have multiple of the same implants  (I've got 3x Vital health injections, thus 9 heals). 

I've also stuck; with the lynx armour, since Rhino gear  seemed  to slow/heavy/power hungry.

Well, I  can't  make  any progress against the 2nd boss, tried about 20+ times, but either the spin attack, plasma bolts or just plain old dropping straight on me from above, and pretty much one-shots me without me ever doing more than ~ 20% damage.

Fun while it lasted, but not enough to worry about spend any more time on it.

Good luck to anyone playing it!

• 8 months later...

I took a punt on this for £20 and am really enjoying it so far (first game i've bought for myself in ages). Probably about four hours in and i'm loving the weaponry. Combat seems a little looser yet more forgiving than Souls but there's been a few tough sections to work through. Deaths have never felt cheap yet though.