passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Disney+

DisturbedSwan

I am finished loe-quay, I think some of the later episodes feel particularly smarmy. Some extremely corny moments that are supposed to be touching. The ending was good tho, I liked that stuff. Dunno if I could watch another season of this though unless they specifically say they will wrap it up in 2 or 3 though cause I really think there's no more that needs to be said with this story cause they're going to connect it with the films anyway so why not just do that.

I will say this as well, I feel a bit conned. I specifically just watched it cause I like Loki and the actor who plays him. But I think the show should have a different name, like something less of a clickbait. Not that Loki isn't prominent in it, he's extremely prominent. But well the show is about something else entirely and is supposed to get people excited for stuff that hasn't come out yet. 

I even think at times the writers have this problem and they specifically contrive very contrived plot contrivances to point to the character of Loki to say 'see, we are writing a story about this character, look at how we handle this theme and this aspect of the character'. It's a bit forced, I think because the character is popular they are using him as a vehicle to tell a story which is probably setting a very important foundation for their future content strategy. Which, naturally, I don't give a fuck about their content strategy. But whatever, it's watchable nonsense. 

20 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I think because the character is popular they are using him as a vehicle to tell a story which is probably setting a very important foundation for their future content strategy.

That was the whole point of all the Marvel shows though. Even Agents of Shield and... Inhumans, was to build on other stuff. Wandavision and Loki are used to build on larger themes relating to Spider-Man 3 and Dr. Strange 4. Falcon/Winter Soldier tie in directly with Captain America 4 and tangentially, with the X-Men.

I think you might have got the wrong impression of these shows if you were expecting them to exist solely within a bubble.

I know they don't exist solely in a bubble, however as I said this show in particular seems to be just using the character as a means of setting something up. Like the character is very much secondary here to the point that he gets harder and harder to recognise as the show goes on. I'm not a hardcore fan of these films, far from it, but even I notice how little the Loki in this resembles the villain from the 2012 film, which this takes place immediately after. I've since seen this remarked on other parts of the internet so I know I'm not misjudging things too much.

Like by the end he's not even conflicted between good and evil, not even remotely. He's a pretty boring

Spoiler

hero

, which is why it sort of feels to me like they drafted this thing out without the character in mind and stuck him in there to get lots of eyeballs on it cause it's trying to escalate the stakes for the next branch of the film series. There's no ambiguity, no mischievous or anything like that.

Spoiler

They replaced him with a self-deprecating and reluctant hero

I don't buy it, I think they gleam over that stuff way too quickly so they can get to where they need to be narratively speaking. Which means you have this very rushed and unconvincing character progression, remember again I mainly gave the show a chance cause of the character. So that's why it doesn't land for me even though I think they landed the ending for whatever that's worth

5 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like the character is very much secondary here to the point that he gets harder and harder to recognise as the show goes on.

I absolutely agree with that. The Loki this should have been ala Thor 1 and Avengers Assemble, is not present. I thought when he appeared for a minute in Endgame. He would return in Thor 4. But now he appeared, heavily diluted, in a show that is basically setting up the backstory to the next villain.

Richard E Grant was great as Classic Loki though.  

By Endgame Loki and come full circle and become, well, not a hero. But redeemed. Well, not redeemed. He tried to Kill Thanos. So he was sort of on the level. 

It's like with this version of Loki they tried to speed him back there or even further than that. And kind of lost the character in the process. 

I don't think the show exists purely to set up future MCU stories but I think they mismanaged the Loki part sometimes quite a lot trying to set up future MCU stuff. 

having said that I do kind of like his reaction to the situation at the end. I don't think that is uncharacteristic. He's the god of mischief not whatever the fuck is about to happen. I can buy that.

Repeating from the MCU thread but I liked everything around the show. The TVA, the sci-fi, where it ends and what it means going forward. The part I never cared about was Loki. I like Loki fine, but even the little bit I liked was kind of lost in this show. 

I'm not the biggest Marvel fan but I have watched all of the films and these TV series have me worried that I'll be completely lost when it comes to the new movies as I have no intention of watching any of these...

I wouldn't fret over it. These shows will likely enhance understanding of certain concepts moving forward. But none of the films will be made to alienate those that didn't watch the shows. Disney knows that would lose money.

For example, you don't need to watch Falcon/Winter Soldier to know what happens to Sam Wilson. As Endgame gave you the truncated version. 

I'll spoil it for you here

Spoiler

It's about an organisation that maintains the 'sacred timeline', ie prevents parallel universes from occurring due to 'deviances' in said timeline. Like a butterfly effect. At the head of this organisation is a man called 'He Who Remains', a brilliant scientist from the 31st century who discovered the existence of parallel universes but also discovered the danger of infinite possible versions of himself having that knowledge. Because all it takes is one of them to be an evil version of himself to cause a multiverse war

At the end Loki's parallel universe girl version of himself, who is also his girlfriend, kills the guy who maintains the timeline thus allowing evil versions of said dude to spring into existence and instantly setting the stage for all out multi-verse war which will probably be the backdrop of the film series post Thanos

I reckon I explained that pretty well.

• 1 month later...

All of Disney's 2021 movies to debut exclusively in cinemas

Hollywood giant Walt Disney Co said the rest of its 2021 films will screen exclusively in cinemas before being made available for streaming.

The decision is a boost to struggling entertainment venues, with major films during the pandemic debuting online at the same time as in theatres. 

Marvel's Eternals is among the films that will get a theatrical debut.

It comes after Disney's successful theatrical release this month of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Ten Rings - which tells the story of a former assassin forced to confront his power-hungry, warlord father - took in $127.6m (£92m) globally in its first weekend in cinemas.

The sum is second only to Marvel's $158m (£114m) takings for Black Widow in July.

• 4 weeks later...

Free Guy (2021)

Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer star in this videogame inspired movie, that's now available on D+.

Guess I'll post some sort of review in a couple of hours....

Meh ! A couple of bits in the 'boss fight' were good, but overall a disappointment.

• 1 month later...

Not all of it... and even less native apparently.

I might use the Game Pass perk to get a month of this closer to Christmas, the Missus wants to watch that Beatles documentary that's releasing. Are Black Window and Shang-Chi on there with no extra charges?

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

Is it true d+ doesn’t have 4k?

It didn't on PS last time I checked, I think on XSX it does though. Not sure about TV apps.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Are Black Window and Shang-Chi on there with no extra charges?

Yep.

They're doing a £1.99 a month offer at the moment to coincide with D+ day as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...