passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Disney+

DisturbedSwan

Have they actually decided to end it now then? I had heard the most recent series haven't been that bad, but at this point it just seems like the people watching it are committed enough to be greatful for anything that isn't completely shit. It was so good when it was The Governor, and the escape from the prison and everyone getting split up. It's been demonising returns since they pitched up at Alexandria, but at its peak it was one of the best shows on the telly.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first episode of Loki. I thought it was excellent, intrigued on where this one is going to go. Hate having to wait a week to see the next one, wish they’d just release them all at once. 

• 1 month later...

I subscribed to Gisnep+ to watch Loki, I saw that it is 6 episodes which I think is pretty neat cause I'd kinda gone off how TV is paced these days and stretches things out for ages, 6 episodes is a nice set to tell a story for a season imo.

Anyway it's sort of like Control, but with goofy characters. I've watched less than half of the films it's based on but don't feel like I'm missing any major knowledge cause you just kind of pick up on the major beats of the other ones through cultural osmosis anyway. I did not expect to see Owen Wilson after such a long time, I can't actually remember the last thing I saw him in. 

Spoiler

I've not been following any of these tv shows or the recent films at all but I'm guessing the TV series are being set up to give stories to characters who's arcs sort of completed in the films, given that Loki is dead in the main story. Also to set up a multiverse and I guess broaden the story possibilities. So they can give narrative context to bringing in older versions of these IPs eg Tobey Maguire in the next Spiderman.

I also yet again have no idea what difference dolby vision is supposed to be making here, I think none maybe. 

Same. Loki is all I've watched on Disney+ so far. In fact since it finished, I haven't used it at all. Waiting for something interesting to start, I guess. I tend to steer clear of streaming services, as with how little I watch TV, they are largely a waste of money. Might cancel this one soon too.

If you guys haven’t watched Wandavision I would give that a go. The first 2 episodes are a bit eh but it gets really good (Especially for you @OCH, I’m guessing you’ve seen what happens with Quicksilver, but if you haven’t it’s really fun).

They announced Hawkeye streaming date the other day. That for me is going to be the hardest one for them to live up to because the comic it’s based on is one of the best modern Marvel comics full stop. If it can capture even a little bit of that I’ll be very happy

@one-armed dwarf

EIooXPbWwAIBj5t.jpg

33 minutes ago, OCH said:

Same. Loki is all I've watched on Disney+ so far. In fact since it finished, I haven't used it at all. Waiting for something interesting to start, I guess. I tend to steer clear of streaming services, as with how little I watch TV, they are largely a waste of money. Might cancel this one soon too.

I've not been feeling the Marvel stuff really but if you haven't yet, you should watch The Mandalorian though. I don't know if it's as good if you're not into Star Wars, but I'll make a guess and say it is. 

25 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

if you're not into Star Wars

I'm not, unfortunately. So that's a pass.

@Maf I've seen both Wandavision and Falcon/Winter Soldier. The Quicksilver thing was a bit of a misstep. I'd have thought Disney learned their lesson about the bait & switch, after Iron Man 3. FWS didn't really go far enough for me. Of the three marvel shows, it came across as the most Movie-like. Which made me think less of it, for some reason.

Yeah, Falcon and Winter Soldier kind of sucks but Wandavision’s great. I just didn’t think you’d seen it since you said Loki is all you’ve watched on D+.

I loved what they did with Quicksilver. Super clever, really knowing and playful of Marvel. Great wind up and the perfect show to do it in. 

7 minutes ago, Maf said:

I just didn’t think you’d seen it since you said Loki is all you’ve watched on D+.

Yes, my bad. I personally bought a subscription to D+ for Loki. I watched the other two at my brother's. He's into everything Disney are selling these days. I tend to not invest in streaming services like Netflix myself, very often.

I'm 3 episodes into Low-Key, it's alright but I think a little lightweight. I think cause I'm trying to judge it on its own merits rather than its place in a decade long saga so I have the same problems I always have with these things, even tho I've seen almost every appearance of Loki himself in those films other than Thor 2 which I hear is the worst one. 

I think where it loses me is it's trying to lean into being a character study of this villain but well it's just sort of flat, charming actors aside. I think this stuff probably requires the high budget fidelity of the movies to carry things a bit, when you strip things down to TV budget it gets a bit paper thin and I think Disney underestimate what it takes to carry a TV show cause they haven't put much into it that the movies don't already have, other than a longer running time

It's ok I'll watch the rest but it's a solid 2.5/5 stars kinda territory. I'll probably keep Gisnep+ for a while tho and check some stuff out cause there's more on there than I expected, even if it's a lot of marvel and star wars at first glance (not gonna watch Mandalorian tho)

@one-armed dwarf

So, it's probably the best live action star ways "thing" since the original trilogy. It keeps a lot of the aesthetic of the original trilogy, for the most part the episodes are stand alone with an overarching plot that comes to a satisfying resolution. It has some fan service, this is ramped up in the second season. The production is interesting in that it uses a unreal engine powered large volume screen that sits somewhere between a green screen and an actual set. The production talent is really strong and each episode is around 35 mins long so doesn't overstay it's welcome.

If you're indifferent about Star Wars I'd give the first few episodes a go, if you absolutely hate star wars, probably give it a dodge, but for my money it's the best D+ Original series and possibly my favourite star wars thing.

I have absolutely no idea how it compares quality-wise to Loki as I haven't seen that but I agree with Jimbo. I'd argue that it's the only Star Wars production next to Empire Strikes Back that could and should work with non-fans also because it's just genuinely well-produced and doesn't overly rely on dangling lore-carrots in front of your face. I particularly enjoyed the somewhat decelerated pacing in certain episodes, which enforce the entire spaghetti western vibe it has. The presumably emotionless stranger taking care of a "helpless" infant isn't a particularly novel concept, but it's well presented here as well and reminded me a lot of Lone Wolf & Cub (which I think has been confirmed to be an inspiration too). The whole Unreal Engine deal is also rather fascinating, basically whenever you're watching it you can be sure that everything further away than the objects the actors interact with is being rendered in realtime and projected on a 360° silver screen.

It's not the second coming of TV shows or anything but from what I've watched on Disney+ it's by far the best they have on there right now (together maybe with S7 of Clone Wars, but that's really only for fans). The second season is very heavy on fanservice to the point where I wonder if people who don't know the characters and their backgrounds have a hard time enjoying it as much due to feeling left out, but the first season is very much standalone (well, except that it doesn't conclude, but in terms of themes) and worth a shot for basically everyone.

Also has a superb main theme (not a spoiler, just hidden for size) :

Spoiler

Star Wars is shit. I really enjoyed The Mandalorian though. That’s why you should watch it. Im dense so can’t explain why it’s so good & what makes it different & better than all the other SW shite, but it is.