passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Disney+

DisturbedSwan

A load of new info about the Disney+ service itself and a whole new bunch of film/TV announcements surrounding it got announced by Disney 12 hours or so ago:

• Launches November 12th in the US
  • Priced at $6.99 per month ($69.99 annually)
  • Will allow downloading
  • Captain Marvel Day 1
  • The Mandalorian Day 1
  • New Marvel series starring Vision and Scarlett Witch called WandaVision.
  • New Marvel series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • New Marvel series Loki
  • All Pixar films in Year 1
  • All Star Wars films in Year 1
  • New Star Wars series starring Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk based on Cassian Andor 
  • Noelle film starring Anna Kendrick
  • Timmy Failure film
  • Stargirl film
  • Togo starring Willem Dafoe
  • Lady and the Tramp Live-Action remake on Day 1
  • NatGeo on Day 1 incl. new Jeff Goldblum show and Free Solo
  • The Simspons only on Disney+ from launch

All info sources from Disney's twitter account and Disney Website 

A look at the interface:

D35-aWAUwAAaQ4e.jpg

Seeing how much Disney own, I could see that being a viable platform.

I’d rather not subscribe to more than one service but I guess we’ll see how it develops and I’d definitely check it out if it had a free trial.

The only problem is that so many places are doing one now, and there will definitely come a point where theres compelling stuff on 4 or 5 services and then what. 

I binned off Sky and BT because it became too expensive to have both and not great value. Netflix is great value, but I really dont want it to spiral to needing to subscribe to loads of different services.

28 minutes ago, RikSP said:

Cool. So when does it launch in the UK?

They said it to all major countries within 2 years, so I assume the UK is going to be near the front of that queue along with other Western European nations presumably.

If the original series' are worth watching I'll maybe give it a few months, and since it's America first we can see what the feedback is like. 

I hope they use this platform for more mid-budget stuff.  They seem to be good at forging relationships with the creative teams for the most part so hopefully it will end in some entertaining stuff. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

March 31st must be the end of existing contracts with networks in those countries that had the license to show whatever is now going to be on D+. Which is kind of bullshit because I just want the original Star Wars and Marvel programming. I’d be more than happy for them to launch with less content this year and just add in the rest of the catalogue later when those deals expire. 

In the mean time @Blakey will have to burn the Madnalorian to a disc and we share it around. That’s workable, right?

• 4 months later...

This launched in the UK last week (24th I think) and I obviously subscribed straight away as they've got a 7 Day Free Trial at the moment ?.

I subbed for 3 months of the US one with a VPN mainly to watch The Mandalorian, but The Imagineering Story on there is fucking phenomenal too. Didn't watch a whole lot else because I could only watch it on the iPad - which whilst ok isn't ideal for watching a great deal of stuff -  but I'd still recommend Encore and The World According to Jeff Goldblum as well. The former is a kind of High School reunion type show where Adults reprise their roles from their High School Play back in High School, the first Episode is Annie and as a fan of musicals I loved it. The latter is a weird kooky look at why people love a number of things like Trainers, Tattoos and Ice Cream, if you're a fan of Goldblum it's very good as he's such a odd dude in a really endearing way.

Since I've subscribed to the UK version I've watched the first couple episodes of High School Musical: The Musical - The Series as well which is great. The biggest draw is still The Mandalorian but strangely all episodes aren't out yet, they're spreading them out weekly like they did when it originally aired in the US Version so you can't watch all of them yet, I believe it's up to Episode 3. 

There's a lot of nostalgic old Disney movies on there like Cool Runnings, Honey I Shrunk the Kids etc. too along with some old 20th Century Fox stuff like Mrs. Doubtfire etc. Which is great. You've obviously got a lot of the Marvel films (I think all of them apart from Incredible Hulk) and old X-Men movies on there too and pretty much all the Pixar library (we watched Inside Out for the first time the other day on there which was great). 

On the Star Wars side the Missus hasn't seen Rogue One and Solo so we'll have to get on those over the weekend. I cannot wait to go through the entirety of The Clone Wars though, been wanting to watch it all for years. 

£5.99 a month in the UK, so £3 each for us. Runs smoothly, got 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos capabilities as well. Highly recommend it, in times like these we need a bit of that Disney magic in our lives I think. 

I think all the MCU shows have been delayed though so highly doubtful WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier will release this year. 

I paid for the year up front for £50, then one of our parent friends have the login as well and they've given us half the money towards it.

It seems ok, we watched the CARS trilogy (fucking hate Cars) as that's the only film my son will sit through. Watched some random Simpsons episodes as well and the first few minutes of the 80s and 90s Disney cartoon series, mainly for the theme tunes.

Interface is a bit clunky, but seems to work on. Mando weekly is an odd choice, but I'll watch them again at some point. For what we've paid for it, it seems pretty decent.

You might be able to buy them digitally elsewhere, but I think for rent or streaming purposes they are only going to be on D+. I’m not 100% on that but I think that’s how it’s going to work.

I think the reason it started on March 31 is because they were waiting for licenses to expire

I've no idea about the Trial @Maf could be an introductory thing or something like Amazon Prime where there's seemingly always a trial available for new accounts. 

I definitely think Mando is worth watching, you don't need any knowledge of the recent films to appreciate it either @Nag. For me, it's better than Episode 9 for sure and maybe one of the best SW things done since the Original Trilogy. But yeah, only way to find out is by watching it yourself.

You'll still be able to see Marvel films at cinemas and buy them on Blu-Ray etc. when they come out I think, but won't be able to rent/buy them via Amazon Prime Video/Sky Store etc. and they'll only be streamed on Disney+, that's my understanding anyway. I did check Sky Cinema the other day and it still has a load of Disney and Marvel films on there but I assume that deal will cease within the next month or so. 

Mandolorian is great from the 4 or so episodes I watched. I believe they’re rolling them out weekly over here to stop people from firing up their trial, binging the lot and then cancelling, which is fair enough.

I’m well behind on the MCU, so I signed up today and am watching in chronological order, so I’m nearly done on Captain America, which I have seen before.

I might sprinkle in some classic Disney films here and there, like Jungle Book, Robin Hood, etc.

@Hendo you can afford to skip the 2nd Iron Man film, it's awful

@Nag I'm no fan of Disney or Star Wars but Madolorian is pretty good. It's not as amazing as people make out, a lot of it is very very well trodden, but it is better than any of the recent films (which, you know...)

I won't be getting this, not that that's what I came in here to tell people, just felt like I should probably put the above in some sort of context. Also Cars is shit, @Jimbo Xiii is correct

Cars makes no sense. How did they build all those garages and houses and highways without hands? It's also kind of an irresponsible movie in this day and age, showing off air polluting products from real-life corporations in a cutesy fashion so kids fall in love with them.