passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metro Exodus

Sambob

Couldnt see a post for this, feel free to delete if there is one.

So, this is my first Metro game and the first thing I will say is that the story/setting is so immersive that its made me want to go through the other ones. As a game its not the most polished although its really good, solid 7 out of 10, theres just a few little things here and there and it sort of reminds me of Elder scrolls Oblivion at points which is a weird comparison but its what it reminds me of, its just got a bit of a clunkyness to it. The load times are absolutely ridiculous at times, 2 minutes to load up the game. The first time it happened I genuinely thought my PS4 had just given up but apparently its standard.

It would be interesting to see what people who have played the series think of this one, mainly @DANGERMAN because I seem to remember him being a long time fan. I get the impression that its a massive departure from the series traditional feel, and I dont know if they decided to just do something different because they wanted to make a kind of open world game. The reason I say that is because it definitely feels like an early PS4/late PS3 game in terms of its open world approach, it gives me some slight Half Life 3 vibes.

I actually thought this felt a lot like a Metro game and I enjoyed the others but couldn't get far into this. It was all so clunky which is fine when you are traipsing through tunnels and ruins but when translated to the open world it just didn't fit. I had been playing stealthily for a little while, carefully taking out a group of enemies and then they all respawned after I had a short rest and then I couldn't be bothered going back to it. 

Like you said, the load times are insane. I timed one and it came in at just under 3 minutes. I don't mind long load times, even longer than Metro wouldn't bother me too much if once that initial load was finished that was it, but even checkpoint reloads were long and that just won't do. 

I did that exact same thing with Metro 2033 @AndyKurosaki something about those first few hours just never clicked with me. Finally went back to it earlier this year, pushed through that early hour barrier and had a whale of a time. 

To get back on topic. I did buy this awhile back as I had such a fantastic time with Metro 2033. Since Sekiro came out that has had my undivided attention plus I've put 14ish hours into Last Light and had nowhere near as good a time with that as I did the previous game.

I will get round to this at some point though, its all installed and ready to go on my PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought this. Played the others and definitely wanted some more. 

It's not as confined as the others. So far. It's more open and free roam than the others. To describe it it's like Fallout and Half-Life had a baby. Doesn't hit those heights they do, but it's a solid game. 

Story driven with some resource gathering. Nothing too in depth. Think Last of Us. I'm not that far in but I'm enjoying what I've seen. Gunplay is a little clunky (better than previous entries tho) but by no means terrible. 

Nice to be back...

• 5 weeks later...

Just installing Metro 3 on the Xbox One and found a code inside for a free copy of Metro 1 Remastered. Nice. I thought I would opt for Metro 2 while I’m at it but it was £15 so I took a pass. Metro 2 is the only one I’ve played to completion as well because it was ‘free’ on PS+ a few years back.

So after playing the first level last week I thought the game was just bad but unfortunately now I think it is boring as well. I’ve just done the church in level 2 and I don’t think I want to play this ever again. Everything about it is hyper lame and both a poor excuse for a video game in 2019 and entirely predictable bare bones, flat pack package of a video game in 2019. The only thing I would say that was good about it is the graphics, but even then it is really let down by the way the characters move like robots, nonstop graphical glitches, bland style - just super boilerplate post apocalyptic greys, browns and dirty. Which, granted you would expect that from this series but I don’t know. It’s just not interesting at all.

I was hoping that the story would save it but the game started with this extra long sequence on a train and immediately I started failing to tell who was talking, and what their names are and who they are and why they all looking like and sound like androids.

I don’t know. I could really lay in to pretty much every aspect of this game but I just don’t think it’s worth it. I will probably keep playing it when I can muster the energy because what else am I going to do with my life but, man, this game fucking sucks.

So usually when I play games I play them through once blind and if I really like the game I’ll go through it again with a guide to help me mop up trophies/achievements/challenges I couldn’t work out how to do myself. But I really don’t like this game that much I’ve decided to just follow a YT 100% walkthrough guide on the first go around. I literally have the iPad open, will watch it be played until the guy hits a collectible, or big fight, or specific objective, and then just repeat exactly as I see it be done, pause my game, watch the YT video again. Rinse, repeat. 

There is slight randomisation because cause of weather, enemy placement, etc. But I’m playing on standard difficulty where as the guide is on hardest so it doesn’t matter too much. Although the combat in the game SUCKS oh, my god it is so unfun. 

I know the real real answer is to just put the game on the shelf and not play it at all. But I dislike the game that badly I refuse to let it go and will complete it to spite it but using the absolute least amount of effort. 

Does that make sense? No, it does not. But it turns out cheating and being 100% efficient is actually more satisfying than putting effort in to something I don’t like doing. Who knew?

• 4 weeks later...

I started this a week or so back, having had mixed experiences with the two previous games (2033 great, Last Light mediocre) I didn’t really know what to expect with this, especially as the open world stuff has only been explored very briefly in previous games and even then the areas available were very small.

The opening in the tunnels of Moscow once again was amazing I thought, it set the game up perfectly provided some surprising set pieces very early in and provided some significant and satisfying plot revelations for people that have played the two previous games. It is pretty amazing how well they manage to put events of previous games in a whole new light whilst providing a perfect excuse for the need to break out from the confines of the Moscow Metro.

Once I got to the Open World area though the game kind of falls apart a bit. Me being me I ignored the main quest line and went off exploring, eventually realising I can mark areas on the map with my binoculars and then go and explore them. After a very short period I realised it’s basically the same three activities repeated over and over, despite this they’re still enjoyable enough but never amazing.

The map itself has a very different vibe to anything from the previous games and feels a little bit like the boat sections of Half-Life 2 mixed with Cthulhu or something. It is cool just exploring it and seeing where everything is but it does feel incredibly bare bones really and in some ways I wished they hadn’t bothered. 

Where the game shines the most in in the story missions. There’s one where you have to trawl through a dark mutant infested den to find a train car which is tense, bewildering and a little spooky and another which is the culmination of this particular chapter involving an infiltration of a cultist camp high above the lake.

Those moments where you’re alone and having to stalk enemies in dimly lit spooky corridors is where the game really shines and after that last amazing mission I did and the introduction to the next I can’t wait to see where things go from here, once SMM2 has stopped distracting me I’ll go back to this.

D187C06B-23F4-49D5-B1F5-B6477E0C41EB.jpeg

6A29164F-1DE4-4040-8716-A2CB22577B44.jpeg

DC7AF5D7-D9FE-4472-84D2-2BE58177A7F0.png

Spoiler

E705D2B3-F9D3-497B-9878-6E1A0DF59F0C.jpeg

9F1E4BC3-054F-40DC-BDB6-79B46B02D384.jpeg

619ADB95-870B-4E6F-823E-74CBD468893A.jpegF75519FF-3B40-4987-885C-B58ECAF36D89.jpegADCAD9BC-C5A9-49EA-8DF1-D4C80056B747.png

• 2 months later...

I downloaded this on game pass. Apparently its a slightly different version than what's on the epic store and a handful of Steam accounts, and as such it's got different problems. 

The main one for me is a sound bug where if something isn't right in my eye line then it doesn't exist. Annoying in cutscenes but a real problem in gameplay, especially as the first bit of proper gameplay is a stealth section 

I might try headphones or I might just uninstall it and move on to something else 

• 4 months later...

Well I tried this on gamepass though I have no real inclination to play much of it. I just wanted to play with ray tracing. 

I wanted to take a video but RT is kind of hard to demonstrate. Even turned up full the effect is hard to notice sometimes. Unless you look really close and compare what one character's face looks like with it on and off. Scenes have a bit more depth with it on, lights have different properties but even when looking at the 'fake' lighting it still looks pretty fucking good.

Overall though with all that stuff on the game looks like a pre-rendered FMV from last gen sometimes, which is pretty damn impressive.

I only got as far as the bit where you have the train in the open world and got bored.

This is free with Stadia Pro this month so I might give it a go and see what it plays like once I’m back from holiday. I had to turn a lot of stuff down for it to run well when I played it on PC so it’ll be nice to see how Stadia’s beefy PC (behind the scenes) handles it, I expect the lighting to be much improved. 

I’m not sure whether I want to fully restart it though as I got bored with it and felt like I’d seen most of what the game got to offer at the 14 hour mark. But, yeah I wanna see how it runs on Stadia for sure.

I think the DLSS image reconstruction stuff on your GPU should look as good if not better than Stadia provided picture. Unless Stadia is 4K which then ok yeah. 

The thing with Stadia as I understand is it isn't 1:1 between your PC and a server 'PC', probably workload is distributed behind the scenes in ways that aren't fully disclosed. I would be very surprised if RT is way better on it given the expense of running it and that some of their releases have turned higher effects off. Especially as RT is just hard to notice sometimes. The methods for 'faking' lighting as we currently know it are actually pretty convincing a lot of the time and the extra cost of RT is hard to see the benefit of sometimes. 

Some of the intense set pieces caused me issues but 1080 with RT and DLSS seemed achievable but I've no idea what the performance profile of the game is in general content. I assume it's mostly just walking through grey environments shooting things occasionally.

It would’ve been a good test for sure @DANGERMAN but I haven’t bought my Chromecast or Controller with me and my phone isn’t compatible (yet) ?

You’re probably right @one-armed dwarf, I haven’t played enough games on it to fully test it out but Destiny looked and ran about the same as on my PC. Gylt though -which I’m playing at the moment - on there looks way improved from what I imagine my PC could run it as the lighting has amazed me on many occasion. 

As an aside I keep thinking about buying Doom Eternal on Stadia just to see how it runs - I can get a refund as long as I get less than 2 hours in - so I’m definitely

tempted.