passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The American Dream [PSVR]

DANGERMAN

This might be a bit style over substance, which isn't to say it's bad, just I think it's a better idea than it is a game so far

The promise if that you're an American in 50s America, watching a video on idealistic American life. As such you've got guns for hands and everything you do involves shooting things. Some of that is targets at a shooting range, but it's also how you knock on windows, play catch (shoot the ball back to your dad), open cans, you even use your gun to collect candyfloss and feed it to your date.

It's quite a funny game, but it moves at quite a slow pace. It's hard to know if that's just direction, if it's to lengthen things a little bit, after all, the gameplay is naturally going to be longer than the joke needs to be, or if it's caused by some of the issues with the gameplay. The American Life requires Move controllers, which work well for the most part, but I had an issue where one of them kept turning to one side (would have been my set up, but even then the game didn't have me looking right at the camera, it had me slightly to one side with no way to correct), that could be sorted by shaking the move, but I was having issues with targets at a distance, the aim would swim about a bit. 

Also causing some problems is the PSVR's resolution. The graphics are more than fine all told, but the PSVR screens just don't have the definition you need for precision distance aiming. So far it's not been too punishing so that it would matter, but it has acted as a reminder of the problems. More of an issue, and one that had me thinking about Sony's refund policy before I found the restart checkpoint option, are the bugs and scripting errors. I ran out of bullets at one point, not a problem, you've buttons on the carriage you're in that you can press, a new mag fires up in the air, time slows, and you angle your gun to catch it in the slot. Nice idea, but the button stopped firing out mags, meaning I couldn't progress. Later I had one where the next scene just wouldn't start, I stood there shooting everything I could, paused, unpaused, hoping I coult just get something to activate, but no, so that is where I turned it off for the night

I'm going to stick with it, it seems decent enough, but it also seems broken and I'm amazed it hasn't been patched and fixed, I'm sure there's reasons why not, but it's actually pretty shitty that it hasn't been