passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics

DANGERMAN

I fancied some retro stuff today, and maybe even putting proper time in to something. I was toying with playing something on the Saturn or Dreamcast but instead I booted up the Mega Drive collection on Steam.

The nice thing about the PC version, which has had a bit of an odd history, is that it has mod support. Sometimes that means things like playing as Knuckles in Sonic 1, sometimes it means whenever anyone dies in Streets of Rage 2 it makes the Tim Allen noise, and other times people have just added other games to the collection through the rom option. I played som Hyperstone Heist, some Maximum Carnage (a Spiderman game), Batman & Robin. What I learnt was that this is cool, people have added all sorts of stuff, but also I'm not as good at these games anymore, nor do I have the patience for them

Instead I played some Landstalker. I really liked Landstalker when I was younger, I was probably a bit too young and inexperienced to make the most of it though. It's kind of Sega's Zelda (it's actually made by Climax Entertainment, who made the excellent Dark Saviour for the Saturn), but with some isometric platforming and a bizarre take on how to move in isometric games (there's a mod to change it to more traditional controls, as default it's all about diagonals)

I'm not far enough in to say definitively if it still holds up, but certainly it's not terrible. The biggest problem is when you encounter enemies, if you're by a wall your attack wont come out as the sword will hit the wall. Lining up to enemies is a bit fiddly thanks to the odd controls, I almost wish it was slightly more grid like movement, so you moved a set distance with each step, it'd make lining up against enemies and things to interact with a lot easier.

Aside from that it had the adventure game thing of never quite being A-B, you aren't just moving in a straight line, even in dungeons you'll have to work to find keys or to activate something. I'm hoping it doesn't get too obtuse, but I'm hoping I keep chipping away at it, I don't go back to properly old games and finish them as often as I'd like

How fucking bizarre, I iored this up today for the first time too. I've been playing for a few hours this afternoon.

I've been having a go at some of the challenges. I managed the three Golden Axe ones. GA1 challenge is to beat level 8 of The Dual as the dwarf, you have to fight two of those cunt skeletons with only one bar of health. GA2 challenge is to beat Death Adder and his two skeleton bitches with the dude, again with low health. GA3 is to beat two minotaurs with the chick. Whist the other two were quite hard, this was a piece of piss. The only stipulant is no continues, so you can spam them with all your magic and even die a couple of times. GA1/2 took me about 10 goes each but GA3 was done first time.

On a side note - Fuck I love ESWAT.

@DANGERMAN Have you tried any of those challenges yet? I've done 11 or 12 of them, some of them are proper bastards. I just did the Shining Force one, you have to win a huge battle on the main map with only one casualty or less to your party. I failed the first time but the second time I nailed it with a full party.  I've been playing the actual game as well,   once you get used to the controls it's actually a pretty good game.

That Ristar challenge was a fucking cunt, that game can suck a dick.

Also, this collection has made me change my opinion on the first Streets of Rage. I like it much less than i used to. The controls are bad and the enemies are cheap, especially those fucking twin sisters before the final boss. And Streets of Rage 3 is a fucking disaster.

Surprise of the package so far for me has been Sonic Spinball. I watched a video to get to grips on just what the hell the game was asking of me and since then I've been addicted to it, it's really good.

No, I probably won't, I'm going to concentrate on Landstalker for the foreseeable. 

Glad you're liking Shining Force, it's a simple premise but it's a great game still. You might have picked up on this already but the egress spell (if that's what it's called) to return to town, heal, then restart the fight is key 

And yeah. Streets of Rage with Adam is decent enough, I've never particularly rated 3, there's just something off about it even though there's some good ideas 

Don't start with that again. 

SoR3 is faster, has more movement options, has a more interesting weapon system, has a cool incentive to not die with the special move upgrade system. 

SoR3 set the precident for modern action games. 

And the music rules. 

They don’t have to be at odds, it’s more that coming to 3, years after the fact, having played 1 and 2 many, many times with friends and having the soundtracks drilled into our heads, getting 3 on the Virtual Console was a shock to the system of how bad it was. We never finished it, partly due to how awful the music was.