passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Joker

OCH

Personally, I really enjoyed this. It’s an excellent interpretation of the character. And one that is definitely believable. He is let down by society, something that happens all too often. He hands his social worker the journal that he’s been working on. She notices he’s written “I hope my death makes more sense than my life”. Rather than engaging him about that, she gives it back, like she can’t be arsed with him. 

The following session, Arthur tells her “All I have is negative thoughts, and you never listen”. To which she tells him they’re being shut down, and fails to provide an answer for where he will get his medication from. 

I totally get why some people don’t enjoy the movie, or feel it lives up to the praise. But, I feel it’s a brilliant, believable performance.

Thing is the social worker is also a victim of inequality what with her department being closed, so really she cant be blamed for giving very little of a shit. Both her and Arthur have little to give Gotham, they arent on the upper crust. So they get forgotten

Like there are things in this film I think are really good. It's trying to do the thing TDKR did with the whole haves and have-nots. But it actually gets pulled off better in Joker I think. So the film is sort of a mixed success for me in that way

Oh absolutely. And that’s something that rings true. Resources are cut all the time, especially in Adult social care. That’s something I’ve seen for myself already. But her saying “nobody gives a shit about you Arthur. They don’t really give a shit about me either” isn’t helpful. With my social worker hat on, the appropriate thing to do would have been to signpost him to the next appropriate service. As there’s always one other resort, especially regarding mental health. Instead, she pours gasoline onto the fire.

I get it, her department was getting closed down. But I just felt her empathy was pretty crap. The “I hope my death” line rang massive alarm bells. Yet she did nothing with it, at all. 

This reminds me of I, Daniel Blake.  He has a run on with a certain Job Seekers worker that doesn't ring true at all, at least to me.  I've had one that thought the worst of me but even he wasn't as much as a charactateur as she was in this film.  I get, and agree of the criticisms of the system but to show it through indeviduals like they did wad kinda shitty. 

• 3 weeks later...

I saw joker. It’s good. Like 8/10 but certainly the best comic movie since dark knight. Phoenix performance was a solid 10 though. Unlikely anyone will top that but will likely be snubbed at the oscars. 

Spoiler

I was thinking this morning that maybe none of it really happened and that every part was in his head until the very end when he’s in the ward and that’s when he wakes up so to speak, kills the psychiatrist and escapes.

My only real reasons for this are that no alarms sound when he kills him mom and the way it goes from an unlikely rescue and praise from 100s of protestors for which he does a dance to hard cut to mental ward. 

It was all in his head and it tormented him but once he’d made sense of it all (by speaking to the psychiatrist irl) he felt release that he’s at his happiest being crazy and violent. 

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, you know in the line you quoted the word was “cents” and not “sense” right? 

I watched this on Friday night. No question  Phoenix’s performance is excellent. Some of the violence is shocking and I’m amazed the movie has a 15 rating. If this isn’t an 18 I don’t know what is. As for how much I like the movie, I’m not sure. There were times where I thought that the use of music was very heavy handed (although there is some great music). I was certainly engaged in it. A seven or eight out of ten I guess (I should have written this immediately after seeing the movie).

Regarding the music, I liked how some people I know who saw the film virtually got the MGS exclamation point above their heads when 'Rock & Roll' started playing in the final third. It has been so long since the song had been aired anywhere, I didn't remember who it was from at first. A bold choice, certainly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...