passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Joker

OCH

18 minutes ago, OCH said:

Or do I need to dumb that down a bit further to offset lame attempts about being pedantic??

So the character was too young or he looked too young? Make up your mind. Stop being salty, admit you were wrong and move along. No one will judge you. 

Spoiler

861c2be220f0e73189d284b5c3cb990b.jpg

nicholson-joker-best-comic-movie-villain

heath-ledger-joker-6.jpg?quality=100&w=6

Joker-Origin-Movie-Jared-Leto-Responds-C

"Visually" means how something looks. Basic English and all that. Above is pictures, something a bit more straight forward for those that are struggling to follow.?

? I had to look up what 'salty' was in that context. Hardly, is the answer. I try to be as forthright and concise as I can, but I have noticed some of you do seem to aim at who can be the bigger/most arrogant arsehole in any given conversation, like it's an accolade to garner. At the end of the day, to those on this new forum that still don't get it, I don't care that much. I never get upset, salty or riled in the slightest by anything in text. My (real life) expression and demeanour never veer away from stoic and unemotive. You can never shout me down or get me to cede my position by doing so, because I'll just ignore you and move away from the conversation. As I have already done in several threads. I was never wrong (or right) in what I was saying here, we were simply at cross-purposes with the context. Let's move on as adults now, shall we?

To be honest, I don't think there has been a bad live action Penguin. I only watched the first season or so of Gotham, but Penguin was an unexpected highlight. 

49 minutes ago, Nag said:

?... I will.

To be fair I had no idea Leto was that age either, he must have fucking wonderful genes.

I’ve just seen that Joaquin Phoenix is three years younger than Jared Leto. 

The man is an actual vampire. 

Kind of an arthouse take on the comic genre there in that trailer. I guess that's a niche you can fill.

I think it looks good and I'm a fan of Phoenix's weirdo performances, particularly in The Master. Watch that scene where he talks about fucking his aunt to Seymour Hoffman. Even in a shit film like that he sells the intense darkness and not in an overstated way. He'll be great in this as well I'm sure.

1 minute ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Kind of an arthouse take on the comic genre there in that trailer. I guess that's a niche you can fill.

I think it looks good and I'm a fan of Phoenix's weirdo performances, particularly in The Master. Watch that scene where he talks about fucking his aunt to Seymour Hoffman. Even in a shit film like that he sells the intense darkness and not in an overstated way. He'll be great in this as well I'm sure.

The thing is Comics them self aren’t a genre they are their own type of entertainment. So in the movie world the comic book movie has been defined by the Marvel formula, I think it would be a mistake to think of that as the comic book genre. That is the action movie genre based on comic books. They could and can still be much more than that 

5 minutes ago, Maf said:

Wow that trailer is amazing. It’s actually better than all the Endgame trailers. Even if it was the briefest, briefest appearance it would be great if Batman was in it. 

He is, or at least Bruce is. He’s the kid Joker makes smile. 

Just now, RikSP said:

He is, or at least Bruce is. He’s the kid Joker makes smile. 

Well, I guess then technically he’s in it but I would want to see a dash of actual Batman. Like not even for him to interact with Joker necessarily but I think it’s weird when they go so heavy on all this Batman stuff without Batman being there. Just the slightest visual queue or nod would do. Even if it was just the bat signal

1989: what if the Joker was a gangster?

2009: what if the Joker was a deranged anarchist?

2019: what if the Joker had a social media account and trolled a lot?

(Saw this analysis on Twitter and thought it was rather apt)

Pictures ‘leaked’ online recently of Margot Robbie has Harley Quinn for the new Birds of Prey movie (Honestly shocked that’s still happening) but the point being, does that mean we are going to see Leto again as Joker?

Obviously BoP won’t cross over with this newest Joker, but with Harley definitively in a separate movie, and this new Joker film you would think WB would want people to only be thinking about this newest version, this seems like a great opportunity for the Leto Joker to just disappear and never return 

Morbius is Marvel and being made over at Sony, but yeah. But this is what DC have decided to do. They couldn’t make a MCU so they’ve gone back to just making single films. With seemingly no care for overlap between movies and TV.

I know it would be impossible but I still think it would be really cool if when they get round to doing a main Batman film again that they could somehow get Mark Hamil’s voice in another actors mouth. 

All these pretenders to the throne. 

• 5 months later...

Been thinking of this film a lot since seeing it. Being honest, it put me in a  funk after watching it. If you've ever had a period of social isolation or felt out of sync with the rest of the world, well then this film is like the extreme example of where that can lead.

I think even if it wasnt called 'Joker' and we weren't in this big comic book craze right now that this film would still end up being a big deal. Because it's dealing with a very real and current problem, it just uses a comic book character to trick people into watching it and seeing what is has to say. As I said in the other thread a lot of the comic book stuff is incidental to the overall picture. It kind of feels like whenever there is a DC reference they sort if twist it into something that doesnt really resemble what fans will recognise from the comics. There is one DC nod which doesn't have this 'problem', but it is a scene which I think the director was forced to insert cause it feels so serviceable compared with everything else

Spoiler

Thomas wayne dying in an alley scene.

In some ways I can see a lot of DC fandom feeling very cheated by the film. I mentioned that I saw kids at my screening. Some walkouts after one extremely violent scene and in the lead up into a much more shocking scene. They really did not know what this film was going to be at all. A bunch of people stayed behind during the credits thinking that there would be an after credits scene. I didn't stay, but I'm guessing that there wasnt.

In many ways this film feels like an attack on narcissistic white dudes who feel they are due something from the world. But it also feels like an attack on comic cinematic universes. It's like the anti-one-of-those-films. A mean spirited prank, which is very Joker-esque I suppose.

I really did not like this film at all. I dont know if that makes it bad or not tho, filmmakers should be able to make 'hard' films like this. But it just seems sort of pointless.

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

In some ways I can see a lot of DC fandom feeling very cheated by the film. I mentioned that I saw kids at my screening. Some walkouts after one extremely violent scene and in the lead up into a much more shocking scene. They really did not know what this film was going to be at all. A bunch of people stayed behind during the credits thinking that there would be an after credits scene. I didn't stay, but I'm guessing that there wasn't.

The trailers never depicted this film as anything other than what it is. It is also a 15 Cert film. The Certification screen states, by the same token, contains strong bloody violence. If people took kids under 15 to see this, (bear in mind it is a film about a Super Villain, so it was never going to be sunshine and rainbows) they are a Bad Parent/guardian. End of story. Ignorance is never an excuse.

I can't think of a single MCU film that is higher than a 12A and that should be a clue in itself.

I also think quite the contrary, when it comes to the fandom's reaction. They will feel vindicated by this film, in light of Snyder's films and Suicide Squad Joker. This is a very faithful interpretation of Joker. This is the tonal disparity between the Marvel and DC comic book universe. Gotham is exactly as depicted here. A cesspit of the corrupt, mad and dispossessed. This film is a more accurate adaptation of the source material than the seven previous Batman film iterations of it.

Lastly, this is paying homage to Alan Moore's idea in the Killing Joke. Wherein one bad day made the Joker who he was.

Spoiler

Well och are you sure you watched this movie, cause in this it was a history of abuse and mental illness that made Joker

In fact, that's part of why I find it a bit of a rotten movie. While it does put up in front the failure of social systems that allowed Arthur to fall between the cracks, it also makes violence look like an inevitability of his pathology.

There's very little I can think of in the film to argue against that take. This is why I think it's a bad film. It's why it made me feel a bit shitty, walking away from it. Maybe a director's cut will be more balanced

I admit I don't know a lot about comics, but Joker here seems like a pathetic loser. I feel like this isnt really close to what people imagine the character to be like.

I dont care personally if it is like comic Joker or not, but based on second hand sources like Arkham Asylum and the like this seems like an altogether alien version of the character.

Even Killing Joke, which I did read. That was about a more humanized Joker and how he had a mental break one day that turned him extremely cruel. But he was once decent, just unlucky. If I remember. I never got that from this.

Spoiler

Even when it came to minding his mum, he has his weird narcissistic ideation that he'll lauded for it on live TV.