Target Platforms

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Release Timing

April 23rd, 2019 10:00 JST

April 23rd, 2019 03:00 CEST

April 22nd, 2019 18:00 PDT

Release Notes

Improvements to Strategic Approaches

• Adjusted the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of the following to encourage usage and diversity of approach:

• Prosthetic Tools: "Lazulite Sacred Flame," "Loaded Axe" series, "Sparking Axe," "Lazulite Axe"

• Combat Arts: "Ashina Cross," "Dragon Flash," "One Mind," "Floating Passage," "Spiral Cloud Passage," "Mortal Draw," "Empowered Mortal Draw"

• Items: "Spiritfall" series

• Reduced the Posture damage dealt by the first hit of the Combat Arts "Senpou Leaping Kicks" and "High Monk" as it was causing more damage than intended in certain cases. Posture damage dealt in the latter-half of the combo has been increased.

• Increased the Poison build-up dealt by the Prosthetic Tool "Sabimaru" against enemies that were intended to be weak against it.

• Increased the drop rate of "Divine Confetti" for Fencers in Ashina Castle.

• Adjusted loading screen tips and tutorial text, as well as adding new text.

Other Fixes

• Slightly reduced Posture and Vitality of Blazing Bull in order to improve game pacing and balance time in combat.

• Lowered the price of information sold by Anayama the Peddler.

• The Chained Ogre inside Ashina Castle is now Red Eyed.

• Fixed a bug where "Gokan's Sugar" and "Gokan's Spiritfall" were not mitigating player Posture damage taken while guarding or deflecting enemy attacks.

• Fixed a bug where system crashes could cause save data to become corrupted on PC.

• Fixed a bug where certain enemies would sometimes stop attacking the player.

• Fixed a bug where certain actions could not be performed after reconfiguring the controls.

• Fixed certain bugs that were allowing the player to access unexpected areas, which could result in becoming unable to obtain items or make further progress.

• Fixed cases of certain text being displayed incorrectly.

• Improved stability.

• Improved performance.

• Other various bug fixes.

After applying the update, the version notation in the bottom-right of the title screen will display as follows:

App Ver. 1.03

We hope you continue to enjoy Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice.

Yeah @one-armed dwarf I read a tip on Era early on that said to almost completely ignore the health bar and focus almost all your attention on the Posture bars and it definitely improved my play quite a bit.

On quite a few occasions during early tries of bosses I’d be too passive and need to find my balls and get up in their face and constantly be a nuisance in order to improve and eventually defeat the enemy.

Geni is one of my favourite bosses in the game. If you want/need any tips for the second phase let me know.

I know what to do, I got to ride the lightning ?

Spoiler

This was really a great fight. Genichiro is a really good Vergil lol. The whole thing this game has reminds me of kata in martial arts, it's sort of that in a video game. Your fighting style is dictated to you.

But I find it hard to play a game that's so demanding in that regard. It's very interesting and I can't think of anything like it but fuck.

What I'm finding is I develop this sort of tunnel vision where health bars are something I'm becoming blind to. Maybe this is the Shinobi way. But when I start to panic and fight unfamiliar enemies the game becomes very overwhelming. It's that whole pattern recognition thing all the From games do but here you've got to do this fucking sword dance with it and I'm abysmal I can't dance for shit I spent ten hours on this goober ?

You can’t just use sentence structure to sound smart it actually has to mean something otherwise it is as ineffectual as your Sekiro skills

6 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

He can't buy orbs to level up here. It all makes sense now ?

This. When he says he doesn’t like being dictated too he means he can’t sub skill for level ups 

This game does have level ups, technically. Same kind as dmc

I've not been grinding tho.

But to answer Maf's question, Sekiro is probably the best game I've played this year. But it's just composed out of stuff I really find hard to enjoy. It's not purely that it's difficult it's just its whole design is the exact opposite of what I really love about games. Which is having lots of choice and ways to approach problems. In Sekiro meanwhile it's very much about being a disciplined fighter obeying the rules of the fight as it carries out

I could talk all day about why I think the fighting in this game is really cool, the way you have to carefully thread the needle between passivity and being active. Defensive or aggressive, it's like this sine wave that you have to keep as stable as possible without spilling too much one way over the other. But as above it's something which I can't get on with so well.

I’m playing other games along with this now but I want to at least keep playing this for an hour or so a day, if I can manage it.

Spoiler

Yesterday while I was twiddling my thumbs at work I decided to google a couple of things that I haven’t been able to figure out. One was the location of the Sabimaru - and I’m glad I gave up and googled it because it was a location (as obvious as it may seem in hindsight) that I had completely overlooked in the game. I didn’t know you could drop down there. The other was how to get to the very distant treasure visible in the Senpou Temple area. I had already given rice to the old lady and she mentioned something about flying a kite. The wiki says that she gives you even more specific advice. I don’t remember her mentioning anything about the technique required (although I didn’t have it at the time), but it’s been a long time since I talked to her so I’m not sure. Anyway I don’t like googling things but that’s two less mysteries bugging me about the game.

I said before that ghost like enemies had started to appear in Mibu Village that drop around 600 skill points each. I thought it was just the Mibu Village but I also encountered many of them in the Sunken Valley so maybe they are everywhere now. Also I noticed yesterday that Tengu has moved to the Great Serpent Shrine. He said something about me not knowing any secret techniques. 

Today’s session was short and sweet. I beat O’Rin on my second attempt (once you have a clear idea these fights can become ridiculously easy, but you still have to be careful). That gave me a prayer bead (3/4 now) and the skill that restores vitality after inflicting a deathblow! I wanted that skill but it requires 5 skill points so I’m so happy I won it this way. I have no idea if the skills the game awards you this way is fixed or random. And the NPC being lured by her gave me Jinza’s Jizo Statue that restores a node of resurrective power. And then the game crashed completely.  

Watching other people at this game has me convinced I've missed loads of stuff. I've seen people fighting Genichiro with axes and spears and with way higher health and posture than when I beat him, I need to track back for a bit and see who I haven't made dead yet.

I'm also sort of lost anyway. I went to Sunken Valley and that temple place and it reminds me of Forbidden Woods in BloodBorne. Big and sprawling and I'm running past all the fights trying to work out what to do and where to go ?

Ah ok. Well one of the attachments you’re after is there in Hirata Estates. The other you get from a bridge in Ashina Castle near Ashina Reservoir @one-armed dwarf

As for the health upgrades, have you been killing mini-bosses and picking up their prayer beads? Have you been confronting memories after defeating main-bosses? 

Err, you sucked at it. I told you to stop sucking at it. Now you’re saying you suck at it less. How can you deny my pro gamer advice and the benefits it has granted you?

You can not. 

One more mini boss down and obtained the sixth prayer necklace.

Spoiler

Snake Eyes in the Sunken Valley

By the way I was wrong about a miniboss unlocking a skill on my skill tree. It didn’t unlock the skill at all it just gave me a skill of the same description. I guess the effects stack.

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Watching other people at this game has me convinced I've missed loads of stuff

Oh yeah ? looking for tips n strats are we Ninja ?

Yeah backtracking and following other paths is wise if you're finding someone a bit tough. I did same for cheerio. Not done it for anyone else, but I think I fast forwarded a bit too fast to that guy. 

Spoils. (Don't read Dwarf)

Spoiler

I'm now fighting Owl. Tough shit ain't he? Had a couple of goes then went to bed. My next session he will go down town. Or I may explore a bit. Seen a few dudes, who'll possibly give me prayer beads n such, around the castle.