passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

Hendo

I think me and @radiofloyd are at a similar point in the game now - although I think you've defeated way more mini-bosses and got 1 more Gourd - its just we've explored certain areas a different way round.

I pretty much finished off the 

Spoiler

Sunken Valley

yesterday when I defeated the

Spoiler

Guardian Ape.

After 10+ tries Monday I managed it first try yesterday. His second phase was actually really easy once you get the hang of it and using the Spear on him put him into the ground for good.

I didn't really know where else to go after that so I just explored a bit more of the Sunken Valley seeing if there were any paths I missed or anything like that and managed to find a couple of Prayer Beads somewhere off the beaten track. 

The only other areas I have open to explore are the 

Spoiler

Abandoned Dungeon or Ashina Depths

so I went to the former first but couldn't really find much else here that I hadn't discovered already on my first look around. So I went to the Ashina Depths, defeated the mini-boss here and then did a little bit more exploring only discover to my horror that 

Spoiler

the fucking Ape had come back! 

It started me off in his second phase form but once one deathblow was performed he summons a mate in to help! Bit of a pain in the arse at first but I just focused on the actual boss during the second health bar and managed it in 5 or so attempts

Spoiler

IMMORTALITY SEVERED coming up on the screen afterwards felt fucking badass as fuck.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet or jinx myself or anything - as I'm sure there are plenty of difficult bosses left to go - but I've not really been majorly challenged at this point in the game, only top Ashina Castle guy, Seven Spears and maybe Chained Ogre frustrated me a bit but everyone else has been relatively straightforward to be honest.

Also am I the only one that has 

Spoiler

properly killed the Snake?

it felt weirdly wrong killing it and feels like I might get a naughty ending as a result.

I may be completely wrong here but it feels like I'm kind of close to getting to the end of the game now as well and I'm sure some of the end-game bosses will be a right pain in the arse, but I'm not too worried at the moment.

I was actually thinking yesterday that there's a few things I don't like about the game. I don't like how linear it is, there are of course little side areas you can miss to get items but there is definitely a set path through an area that the game expects you to take and I haven't really found many of the Souls-esque shortcuts really with the game relying on Idols a little too much for my liking, it feels a bit like Dark Souls 2 or parts of Bloodborne in that regard actually.

Another thing I don't like is how the Stealth takes away a lot of the anxiety. In Souls games I see a village of enemies and there's no easy way through it really, you have to slowly make your way round making sure you don't aggro too much at one time or just leg it through and hope for the best but there's none of that here really. There's always ledges above you for you to zip about on which means you can take out a whole village of tough enemies stealthily within a few minutes. I don't feel anywhere near as anxious approaching a new village/town of enemies in this as I did in the SoulsBorne games. 

The Items are another issue. I just don't really care about any of them. The best items are the money pouches and they're good to get don't get me wrong but as you know money is so plentiful it kind of loses its significance. I've hardly used any of the other balloons or sugars at all either really, they all seem quite pointless. Only items like Divine Confetti, Snap Seeds etc. actually seem useful, everything else is pretty pointless really. 

But, that top Ashina Castle boi was one of the best boss fights I've ever experienced and I'm sure there's going to be plenty of others like it at the End-Game so I've got that to look forward to. I think after the aforementioned fight this was probably my favourite Miyazaki-era From game but at the moment I don't think I love it as much as Dark Souls 2 or 3, I think even Nioh I might like more at this point - not a From game I know - but this is still a darn sight better than Bloodborne that's for sure. 

Lots of pics:

814380_20190408180735_1.png814380_20190405180050_1.png

814380_20190405174657_1.png

Spoiler

814380_20190402152808_1.png814380_20190408183902_1.png

Question for @Blakey and @RikSP

Spoiler

I just beat the Folding Screen Monkeys. I killed the first three monkeys than ran around trying to figure out what to do next for ages. In the end I gave up and googled it. Did you guys guess about the invisible monkey, or did you look it up too?

I just kind of bumbled along and managed it @radiofloyd no googling from me. Did it first time after a lot of running/vaulting about aimlessly ?

Ah ok cheers for the info about the Snake @RikSP seems I haven’t messed anything up there then. 

Got it up to 

Spoiler

Miku Village

last night, beating quite a few mini-bosses on the way and beat

Spoiler

Corrupted Monk

On about my 5th try once I realised I had to use snap seeds.

Spoiler

Things have all gone a bit Bloodborne now,  I have no idea where I’m meant to go after exploring the Cave after the Monk fight in Miku Village and all the Ashina Castle Idols are locked off now so I guess I need to re-investigate that area.

Definitely feels like the End-Game is approaching.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice sold more than two million copies worldwide across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in less than 10 days, publisher Activision and developer From Software announced.

“Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has brought something very special and unique to Activision’s portfolio of games. It’s been an honor to work with From Software to help introduce a brand-new franchise to gamers around the world,” said Activision vice president of product management and marketing Michelle Fonseca in a press release. “The fans have made Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice one of the most incredible game launches of 2019 thus far. The game has performed well on all platforms including PC and we’re excited by the continued support from gamers and critics alike. It has been gratifying to see the enjoyment from fans when they overcome each challenge.”

More surprising than the amount of units sold is that the game has only been out for 10 days. There has been so much coverage of the game everywhere it feels like it’s been out for at least a month 

Really enjoying the game so far. I've unlocked a few areas but seem to have hit an impass. So I went back and fulfilled my promise to gib Castle top guy. 

Spoiler

Genchiro Ashina. Easy enough now I'd grown a bit. Appears I can progress those areas I've visited a bit more now. 

There's just something about this game though. I prefer the Souls series I think, but it's nice to be playing something different (and good quality with no cynical business practices).

So yeah I'll be chewing on this for a little while...

Started this at the weekend & I've never really played a Souls game & only played Bloodbourne for about a hour so was expecting this to be tough & not really my thing but I think I'm enjoying it.

I settled in easily enough until I got to the Chained Ogre, fuck him!!!  Spent most my time there until I eventually beat him & wow what a feeling before getting killed pretty much straight after. 

Started going back a bit & exploring now I'm more confident with the combat, understand properly how the skill points work & don't feel like I'm about to die at any moment.  Also had a couple of efforts at defeating the General after the Chained Ogre which I think will be a fairly straight forward fight but had to go out.

Overall for a new comer to FromSoftware games I'm liking it, even though I've only just scratched the surface but I am sat at work thinking about & wanting to get home & see where I get to, so it's certainly doing something right.

Despite having a weird mini-cold thing at the moment and feeling a bit shitty I decided to try to play this. Luckily it didn't effect my skills or focus at all and I made decent progress.

I'm in 

Spoiler

Fountainhead Palace

which looks exactly like a stage from Nioh down to a tee. Started off with a fight against the

Spoiler

True Corrupted Monk.

I watched a cheese video of this fight just yesterday where you can get two stealth deathblows in on it and then finish it off in its final life bar. I tried this a few times but could not get it to not notice me, every time I'd be zipping about on the branches it would immediately spot me and then it seemed impossible for it to lose sight of me again. A few tries at frustratingly trying to cheese it and I gave up and just went for it. I'm glad I did because it was a piece of piss, went down on about my 3rd proper try thanks to lots of deflecting and firecrackers.

Really enjoyed wandering about here but never really felt challenged, most enemies are pushovers at this point and once you get the knack to them and manage to avoid various status effects thrown at you it was a cinch. 

A couple of mini-bosses here. One was pretty much a rehash of Blazing Bull and was incredibly easy and the next was no harder than a standard enemy to be honest, went down in about 3 seconds. 

I did actually get a bit lost in this area before finding this cave where I made progress up the backside of the area finding my final Gourd Seed (now up to 10 in total). Then made my way up some stairs, prayed and eventually got put into another Boss fight.

As soon as this fight started it immediately reminded me of the Rom fight from Bloodborne, the arena, the enemies and stuff. First you fight the 

Spoiler

Old Dragons

which are these little weak creatures that are very easy to take down. When you've defeated enough of them and depleted the health bar the 

Spoiler

Divine Dragon

will show itself. This is a bit of a puzzle fight and I couldn't really understand what I was meant to do for a few tries but once I got the knack to it it was a very easy and simple boss to defeat.

So yeah, very decent progress today with 2 mini-bosses and 2 proper bosses defeated. Very easy again. Must be very close to the end now I'd imagine.

Spoilery pics:

Spoiler

814380_screenshots_20190412165209_1.jpgsteamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpgz.jpg

5 hours ago, Blakey said:

You can do it @Whiskey_chaser stick with it ???

If you’re stuck or having trouble with a specific mini-boss/area I can try and give some tips? 

Appreciate the offer but I'm just not sure I'm enjoying it anymore. I've never been great at Fromsoft games but could muddle my way through but I'm now at a point where things are getting more difficult and it just feels like self-flagellation. 

In summary, can't really be arsed to 'git gud' 

On 08/04/2019 at 20:35, RikSP said:

Anyone else finished it yet?

*Raises Hand*

Took me about 3 hours of trying, I was pretty exasperated with it earlier as all my skills from yesterday had seemingly dissipated.

I stuck with it though and I bloody did it!!! No cheesing involved either. Absolutely beaming from ear to ear, was just so relieved as well, think I almost shed a tear.

What a game. For me it far surpasses Bloodborne and is up there with my Miyazaki-From favourite Dark Souls 3, I actually may like it a little more than DS3.

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg

It's funny how easy this game is once you figure out how to play it. 

I'm not saying I'm great or anything, it literally took me an entire playthrough to figure it out.

I put it on again last night to record some more of our playthrough for the channel and managed to beat Red Eyes Ogre, the mini boss after him, Gyoubo horsey man, and Blazing Bull one after the other on my first try. And that's after a week and a half without playing it. 

I think that goes to show what an incredibly well designed game it is - the game isn't difficult, you just need to learn how it wants you to play. 

I think I'll start my road to platinum later today. No save scumming.