passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

Hendo

Pretty sure I've had someone get infected after I died and didn't resurrect.

I had a break form this last night to shoot some bugs in EDF. I'm at a point in Sekiro where the way forward is a dark tunnel underground. I fucking hate From Softs underground sections - they creep me the hell out.

Back in.

After a couple of attempts killed the mini-boss I was stuck on and then immediately came across another one. Killed his minions and managed to stealth take down one of his red orb things but then when I lost him so I could stealth cheese him again, he regained his orbs. Which is shit, but I understand why that works.

While trying to lose the minions, I found a note attached to a wall that I already know what it references and so I ain't going that way just yet.

Made some progress, killed the mini-boss after the last one.

I've now got to another shrine and have found a rather large enemy that for now I'm just trying to ignore.

Am I doing the right thing or should I be attempting to kill it?

I'm doing my best to be spoiler free!

Ok, in spoilers.....

Spoiler

I killed Chained Ogre, then killed the general and all his men. There's a way to right that I know ends up with ghosts that I probably can't deal with right now.

The other way has ended up with a giant snake which I managed to hide in a little room and stab the bastard in the eye. Now he's thrashing around and not sure what else to do with him.

I've not had time to put much into this but I do like it. Its different from the other From games. Part of why some find it harder is because of the trained habits developed playing the other games. 

I've only fought mini bosses I think. I've found a few prosthetics. I haven't fully got to grip with its systems but it's fun learning. I think I might go farm a little bit. I did that on the other games. When things were tough. Like any game - come back stronger ??

Think I'm on the first proper boss now?

Seems an absolute bastard, might have to watch a tips video on how to beat him.

Spoiler

An NPC you can listen to mentions gunpowder taking down his horse, which I have to assume means I should be using a gun or cannon ability on him. Or there's a cannon on the battlefield.

Made some decent progress. 

Minor spoilers:

Spoiler

Picked up two new prosthetics, the Flame Vent (how did I miss this first time around? I guess you have to be close to the bonfire for the icon to appear) and the Loaded Umbrella.

Explored the interior of Ashina Castle and beat the mini-boss in the Dojo pretty quickly. He pretty much kills himself for you if you stand still and parry everything and are quick to use healing gourds when necessary, that’s all I did. His posture gauge fills up very quickly. That gave me my fourth prayer bead (I found another prayer bead behind a secret door) which was enough to make the Third Prayer Necklace. And I also picked up another Gourd Seed in this area.

I then proceeded to the roof to fight our old friend again. I tried him about three times and had a lot of fun but I didn’t manage it, I’ll come back some other time. But this boss is maybe one of the highlights of the game so far. So good. Just pure swordplay.

I went to the kill the mini-boss at Ashina Reservoir And was cheesing him patiently to his death but the game crashed and I had to hard-reset my PC. Oh well, I’ll do it later.

I don’t think I mentioned it in here but on Thursday I also made progress in another direction, as far as the Sunken Valley. 

I didn’t get to play at all yesterday ? GF had the day off work so we went out for the day, then our friend came over for dinner and stayed till gone 1am.

I’m afraid to switch it on today because I’m trying to beat a boss with three health bars and I feel like I have/am coming down with something so my reaction times are slow and my patience is short today.

I’m supposed to be going out tonight but I just want to curl up in bed with lemsip and some Bob Ross videos and home I’m better tomorrow ?

Was having a kind of fruitless session today against one of the mini bosses but then I decided to go off and do something else and in the process I picked up two new gourd seeds (that brings me to 7 Healing Gourds) and and the first of four prayer beads I need to make the fourth necklace. And then to top it all off I beat a main boss at my first attempt.

Spoiler

Lady Butterfly. Not my actual first attempt that was many many hours ago, but my first attempt since, so technically my second. The first phase of this fight finished very quickly, and the second phase, I realized that she kills her own phantoms after a few seconds so no need to go around tossing about snap seeds. At some stage in the second phase I started catching her in an endless loop of the Nightjar Slash which was faster than her attacks so I managed to fill up her posture gauge by attacking her with that repeatedly.

That gave me my first attack boost in ages and also an item that apparently allows me to resurrect a second time, but it says I need the help of an Heir of the Divine Blood. Since Genichiro has her I guess I have to defeat him to make use of it. 

I also bought the memo about the pagoda and the Shinobi sword from the merchant that appears at the sculptors shrine:

In terms of bosses/mini bosses I have discovered but not defeated, there’s Genichiro in Ashina Castle, Headless in Ashina Outskirts, Shichimen Warrior in Abandoned Dungeon (this guy is brutal) and Snake Eyes in the Sunken Valley. That’s it I think. For now I’m going to continue exploring the Senpou Temple and Sunken Valley areas.

I haven't played this for two days. Bit scared to get on it today in case my rhythm has gone ? 

Let's see...

Also I'm going to start putting up videos of my boss fights with commentary explaining what I'm doing, what I did wrong, and what I could have done better. Thought it could be a nice video series to help people stuck on bosses by showing them how I won but also explaining my mistakes so they can learn from those too. 

On 29/03/2019 at 00:57, Hendo said:

I haven't had much of a chance to play since the last time I posted, for reasons, but I watched a little of a live stream they did on Giant Bomb and they mentioned something about Dragon Rot that I hadn't heard before, and am not sure if it came up in a tool tip and I just missed it.

Hide contents

You can avoid most, if not all, of the Dragon Rot by not bringing yourself back to life when you die. Apparently resurrection is the thing that causes Dragon Rot, not just plain dying.

Again, might be well known, but a useful tip if anyone didn't already know.

Yeah that's bollocks. I've just been practising against a boss and choosing to die instead of resurrect each time and someone just got infected. 

[EDIT] Killed the boss and moved on to new area, got killed a few times and chose to die instead of resurrect and 3 more people got infected. 

My understanding of dragon rot is it builds when you resurrect in any shape or form - this includes both the “press a button” resurrect AND respawning back at a statue. I’m not sure whether one is the lesser of two evils though.

Basically, the only way to avoid dragon rot is simply not to die ?

I'm not worrying about it tbf. It's obscure how it works and the way to cure it isn't plentiful. Pick and choose when to cure them I suppose 

To my mind it's a system for repeat playthroughs perhaps. If you miss out on story or a vendor because the rot got then do it differently next time. 

I'm not going to stress and scan the internet for how to work it. That's the games job. 

So they're staying rotten for a bit.

Anyway. Enjoying it so far. Two main? bosses down ??

Beat the boss at Ashina Castle...BUT the story doesn’t have a happy ending. I recorded a video of the fight, you can watch it below. It’s a pretty crappy run as you can see, I take a lot of damage early in the fight. But I hung in there and won, or so I thought... Anyway it’s 3am in Japan so forgive my poor decision making. 

Enjoy the video, my YouTube debut:

Spoiler