passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

Hendo

Official play time so far is 8 hours 54 minutes, but actual play time is less than that when taking into account thrown controller/get up and walk away time. 

First boss down though so I think I'm getting the hang of the combat system now. 

Video below:

I’ve only played 2 hours of this on Friday afternoon but impressions were positive but bewildering.

All the knowledge from Souls and what certain items do means diddly squat here and I found myself just wandering about trying to get my bearings and exploring.

I haven’t really had too many issues with the combat system though, I’ve died a fair few times but it has been quite easy so far compared to Souls. I am very early in though and just entered the first ‘memory’ section.

This is seems like a really odd comparison but it’s almost like one of the older Assassin’s Creed’s with the reliance on parrying, plentiful amounts of bushes and being able to stealthily take down a whole village of enemies if you’re careful enough.

The atmosphere in the game is amazing too, it’s so mysterious and almost everything before you is intriguing and inviting in some way.

Had a great evening on this last night.

Took down chained ogre, shinobi hunter, and another general. Plus, I got a few new prosthetic weapons,  including the feathers. Quick question regarding the feathers:

Spoiler

Did anyone beat that ninja guarding them? Just wondered as I did a blatent snatch ‘n’ grab and legged it like a big coward.

30 minutes ago, Middle_Class_Hero said:

Hide contents

Did anyone beat that ninja guarding them? Just wondered as I did a blatent snatch ‘n’ grab and legged it like a big coward.

I did a snatch and grab.

I'm fighting the Flaming Bull now. I hate it. 

Seriously going to fall out with this game. Every time I start enjoying myself it goes "nah mate, here's some infuriating bullshit". This time round we have something that damages you while you're blocking AND inflicts burn damage whenever it hits you. It has no obvious attack pattern, and the tells on it's attacks have the weirdest timings, it's like fighting a Meshugah song. It attacks relentlessly in an unpredictable fashion and can even hit you when you're half way through a wall jump.

Everyone is going to die of Dragon Rot at this point, and I honestly couldn't care less. 

Made decent progress tonight.

I beat the general after the Chained Ogre so that gave me my fourth prayer bead and my first vitality and posture upgrade.

I explored the Bamboo Path area of the Hirata Estate and came across an enemy in a purple cape in a area off the beaten path, I was hoarding skill points though so I bailed on the fight.

I saved up four skill points for the healing upgrade, then took on and beat Juzou the Drunkard in a pretty easy fight once I realized how easily he can be cheesed. Went further inside and found a prayer bead behind a secret door. I took on Lady Butterfly once but lost. I think that’s enough of Hirata for now.

I decided to see what the specter fight was like so I used one of the Divine Confetti things and took her on. I lost and only have one Divine Confetti remaining so I’m leaving her alone for now.

Time to take on the horseback boss at the castle gates. 

4 hours ago, RikSP said:

It's like fighting a Meshugah song. It attacks relentlessly in an unpredictable fashion and can even hit you when you're half way through a wall jump.

If I had a penny for every time a Meshugah song hit me midway through a wall jump I would be a rich man so that is a VERY apt comparison.

Killed Gyoubu the horse boss. Was having a lousy run but managed to hang in there and take him down. Found another prayer bead so that brings me to 3/4 again. Also I found another vendor that sells a Gourd Seed so that will increase me to 4 uses. Cured the Dragon Rot, for the time being...

13 hours now. Onwards and upwards!

Started a second playthrough tonight with my friend Mark for our YouTube channel.

In two hours from the beginning of the game we managed to get up to and beat the drunk dude. Mark had a pop at Lady Butterfly but died so we went back to the present and got up to the Chained Ogre, but Mark died again.

I’d say that’s pretty good progress for two hours. 

I can't believe you found Butterfly easier than the bull! I spent about an hour against butterfly, finally getting into the rhythm of the fight and then :

Spoiler

finally killed her only for her to come back with a bunch of minions.

I thought 'fuck this' and went and tackled the bull. Beat him on my second attempt - only got hit once. 

I also managed to cheese a bell guy - he killed me right behind where he normally stands. Instead of reviving right away I waited, he lost interest and returned to his 'waiting state' - I revived and stealth killed him. 

I fell out with the grappling earlier, it's not as free as I'd like it to be. I get that Sekiro needs to grapple onto certain points on the roofs but I feel for all the freedom to tackle situations openly that FromSoftware were talking about it's incredibly restrictive. There's an area after the bull that would have been much better had there been a couple more grapple points but instead the route forces you down one annoying path. It's not too bad in some areas, but this area in particular looked like it should have grapple points in abundance and it just... didn't. 

The wall hugging was annoying me too as it wouldn't let me 'hug' walls I really should have been able to. Small complaints but it does take an element of choice out of a scenario. 

The lock on sucks too, but that's just a FromSoft thing so whatever. They haven't fixed it since the previous games so I can't see them fixing it now. 

Did another mini boss. After sussing it out it wasn't difficult at all, there's just no room for error. On the bright side though if you're not very good at deflecting at the moment you will be after this guy. 

I'm on the third main boss now and in theory he's easy - he telegraphs his attacks well, doesn't hit too hard, and there's some nice back and forth with attacks and deflects going on, but I can't get the timings right at the minute, and there's not much room for error. It feels like more of a fun boss than Lady Butterfly. 

I'm starting to enjoy it now, that or it's worn me down and I have some form of Stockholm Syndrome, so I'm not going to get angry today, I'm going to take a break and have a cup of tea.

Beat the bull after a marathon session. Like Rik said it’s of those things where if you do specifically the one strategy the works, you’ll say “oh, it was that easy”, but if you try anything else you’ll get nowhere. I had tried the strategy that I used to beat him a few times before it eventually worked, but a bit clumsily, because I didn’t know about the cooldown period on the firecrackers, so cheers Rik for telling me about that. Anyway it’s done and I never have to think about him again! On we go...