Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

The Division 2

Recommended Posts

And another thing.

 

Some changes I forgot to mention which will be of interest to original players.

 

Mods. You no longer have randomly rolled mod drops. No longer will you be carrying 30 different ACOG scopes cluttering up your inventory and stash. Nor will you be stood at the crafting station trying to roll that perfect magazine. Now we get, for example, a red dot site with a positive and negative stat and I think that's it for that type of red dot. This can be used across all appropriate weapons. All mod types have this positive/negative combo.

 

Another change is that pre-high end gear can belong to different "brands". So if you match pieces of green or blue gear of the same brand you unlock additional perks. It's like a pre-end game build diversity that brings a bit of welcome decision making early on.

 

Finally, I've not done the beta end game content yet but this offers an opportunity to play an end game mission with a fully maxed out character using one of the 3 specialisms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final comments.

 

Me and @Duck did the end game mission and it feels so much different with the full on gear. However it was hard (thanks to a 3 man squad and the random team mate spending most his time needing reviving). @Duck was rightly saying we need to push forward but I never felt confident to do so because we were constantly getting flanked and being assaulted by drones and fucking robots.

 

Enemies were going prone and shooting (which is new), and my god, take out the yellow bar medics or that guy you just killed is going to get revived and come back for another go at you.

 

It reminds me that this is an RPG looter shooter with a cover dynamic so you have to use it and you absolutely have to be tactical. Going toe to toe like the random squad mate or overextending without communicating gets you (and your team mates) dead.

 

Unlike my other main games Destiny or Warframe, there's no scything through multitudes of enemies like a power space ninja. You're really quite vulnerable and it's a very different, sometimes cautious and planned play style. Teams will have to strategise on the hoof and communicate their intentions. It's slower. There's no killing flow. That won't be for everyone.

 

That said I liked it. It's got definite improvements on Div 1. Feels like a better inhabited and lovely looking world. Side missions are much more engaging too. The weapons are all different in their own right and I enjoyed using pretty much all of them, apart from double bloody barrelled shotguns.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I might want to give this ago but sandwiched between DMC5 and Dark Souls Ninja it’s got no chance.

 

All of these live games makes things so hard to keep up with. They all require dedication and massive time commitments and it’s not manageable and preys upon my FOMO, but also feel impossible to get into if you’re not there within the first week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried this tonight. It might be the most OK-est thing ever. Movement feels arthritic after playing Anthem. I'm going to give it some more time but it's not filling me with excitement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General consensus on rllmuk seems to be the same. Most impressions are it feels like a reskin of the first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there definitely isn't a huge difference there between the first and second games, it's just more of the same but in a new locale. I'd argue that's no bad thing though as the base game of the OG was pretty great.

 

For me, what is leaps and bounds better than Anthem in this is the combat, specifically the AI, gun-feel, tactics and level of challenge. Only on the harder difficulties later in the game is that kind of challenge present in Anthem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put Anthem on after and it felt like it was running at a million miles an hour, it was easier to play, the shooting felt better. Anthem felt like the stronger game when you put them side by side. As much as I put Anthem on blast for how fucking shit it is in places at least it's doing something different. Division doesn't feel like it's progressed at all. Stuff has changed, but it still feels at the core what the original was. The health system is rejigged (I don't like it) and there's new gadgets. They made the gadgets more fiddly to use and the one I picked it wasn't immediately apparent what I was meant to be doing with it. I had to physically go in and read what it was about. I think that's bad game design for a skill that's meant to be exciting to use.

 

The menu's in this are bad as well. They look shit. The only saving grace is they don't take 30 seconds to load.

 

I said before that Anthem will be buried by this, but now I'm not so sure. It couldn't be less ambitious if it tried. There's fun to be had in co-op, but it feels very reheated. Sales wise this will do way better, but it's unclear now if this is the better game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the setting of the first game. It felt more real and the combat was new. Washington just doesn’t look appealing in a way I feel I want to investigate it. I think I played for about 30 minutes before feeling bored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I put Anthem on after and it felt like it was running at a million miles an hour, it was easier to play, the shooting felt better. Anthem felt like the stronger game when you put them side by side. As much as I put Anthem on blast for how fucking shit it is in places at least it's doing something different. Division doesn't feel like it's progressed at all. Stuff has changed, but it still feels at the core what the original was. The health system is rejigged (I don't like it) and there's new gadgets. They made the gadgets more fiddly to use and the one I picked it wasn't immediately apparent what I was meant to be doing with it. I had to physically go in and read what it was about. I think that's bad game design for a skill that's meant to be exciting to use.

 

The menu's in this are bad as well. They look shit. The only saving grace is they don't take 30 seconds to load.

 

I said before that Anthem will be buried by this, but now I'm not so sure. It couldn't be less ambitious if it tried. There's fun to be had in co-op, but it feels very reheated. Sales wise this will do way better, but it's unclear now if this is the better game.

 

It was easier to play because you’ve put 30+ hours into Anthem and are used to it, it’s likely you’re still getting to terms with TD2’s controls. I strongly disagree about the shooting though, in the short time I had with TD2 the shooting and weaponry felt far superior and more involved than any of Anthem’s guns and gunplay which all feel the same and interchangeable with one another.

 

Just in some of the story missions in the TD2 beta there was more variation and more interesting enemy types to fight than Anthem. 

 

There is an awful lot of similarities and cross over with the first game, it’s a sequel so that makes sense. Didn’t have any issues with the menu, health or gadgets myself once I got used to them.

 

There’s no doubt about it Anthem will be buried by this. Whether you rate it more or not is still up in the air, but in terms of reviews and sales TD2 will be far superior.

 

I prefer the first games locale too @wiivo 2.0 I miss the snow. 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played this for almost five hours last night, having already put a bunch of time into the private beta. I've not done that for ages. I'll be on it again later tonight to do the story mission that wasn't included in the first beta.

 

I pre-ordered a digital copy for Xbox One last night on CD Keys for 45 quid. I like it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blakey said:

Just in some of the story missions in the TD2 beta there was more variation and more interesting enemy types to fight than Anthem. 

 

Actually I just saw this. So far I've seen nothing special. It's all just dudes wearing armour plating or running at you and trying to stab you. I know Anthem has come in for some flak (rightly so) for the paint by numbers enemies and going off the usual fantasy tropes, but come on mate. Talk some sense. The enemies in this couldn't be more bland if they tried. By keeping it grounded there's not much they can do but add stuff we've already seen a million times before.

 

I played a tiny bit more and it's the very definition of safe. It's breaking zero ground and feels a bit homogeneous to the other Ubi games I've played or seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

38 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

 

Actually I just saw this. So far I've seen nothing special. It's all just dudes wearing armour plating or running at you and trying to stab you. I know Anthem has come in for some flak (rightly so) for the paint by numbers enemies and going off the usual fantasy tropes, but come on mate. Talk some sense. The enemies in this couldn't be more bland if they tried. By keeping it grounded there's not much they can do but add stuff we've already seen a million times before.

 

I played a tiny bit more and it's the very definition of safe. It's breaking zero ground and feels a bit homogeneous to the other Ubi games I've played or seen.

 

Maybe I should’ve been a little clearer in my previous post. I’m not saying the enemy types or designs are incredible in TD2 but they’re so much more intelligent and so much more of a threat on standard difficulties than in Anthem, that’s all. I do agree that the grounded nature of it there’s only certain routes they can go for enemy designs.

 

I also agree that it is very safe. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it though and I’d argue the original game was such a solid foundation that there wasn’t an awful lot they needed to do here. For me, it feels like one of the most distinct Ubi games - as the original did too, maybe Ghost Recon Wildlands feels similar but I haven’t played that - there are certain small elements of cross over sure but nothing homogenised apart from a lot of elements from TD1 obviously.  The world itself is huge and so rich with life too compared to Anthem, I really dug it, don’t know what else to tell ya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel that at all, they're more of a threat maybe because you're squishy, but for intelligence they're dumb as fuck. I had a few instances where I've gone to a "?" and the only ones that posed a threat are the ones that run right at you. The others run between cover needlessly so you can shoot them in the back. Those free floating heavy guys that push you out of cover from the first game are dangerous as well, but mainly because they're pressuring you out of your safe hidey hole.

 

Small said that they try to flank and stuff but I've not seen that. I've certainly seen new enemies come in from a different side or even behind, but I've not seen any moments where it's like "Oh, this mob is actually doing something intelligent". They're as brain dead as the stuff in Anthem, it's just they're more dangerous because you're not on roids. Those crossfire and pincer situations only happen because of how they spawn the mobs in, not because the mobs assess what's going on and try to manoeuvre into those position, unless the map dictates it.

 

Hey, if that smoke and mirrors convinces you, more power to ya, but it's a bit fucking lame from what I've witnessed. If I do see something impressive I'll be back to crow on about it and admit I was in the wrong. I hope I am wrong, because I want to be surprised by the AI, it makes things more interesting in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Those free floating heavy guys that push you out of cover from the first game are dangerous as well, but mainly because they're pressuring you out of your safe hidey hole.

 

I've certainly seen new enemies come in from a different side or even behind.

 

Isn’t that literally what flanking is? 🤔

 

Quote

Hey, if that smoke and mirrors convinces you, more power to ya, but it's a bit fucking lame from what I've witnessed. If I do see something impressive I'll be back to crow on about it and admit I was in the wrong. I hope I am wrong, because I want to be surprised by the AI, it makes things more interesting in the long run.

 

I guess it does 🤷‍♀️😂. Finish the beta missions - assuming you actually want to of course - and the small Endgame taster and then see what you make of it then. 👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of, but it's not intelligent flanking, is it? It's not like the AI's gone, I should attack from this side, it's more a case of the the reinforced enemies coming out of spawning from the sides or behind.That's not intelligent AI, it's just the designers putting in spawns where your focus isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...