passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Division 2

DisturbedSwan

• 4 months later...

Video games are big business, and publishers inevitably want to sell as many copies as possible. So why risk alienating half your audience by being openly political if half your audience might be turned off by what you're trying to say?

That's the point which The Division developer Alf Condelius made today, speaking to Eurogamer sister site GamesIndustry.biz.

"It's a balance because we cannot be openly political in our games," Condelius said. "So for example in The Division, it's a dystopian future and there's a lot of interpretations that it's something that we see the current society moving towards, but it's not - it's a fantasy.

"It's a universe and a world that we created for people to explore how to be a good person in a slowly decaying world. But people like to put politics into that, and we back away from those interpretations as much as we can because we don't want to take a stance in current politics."

Condelius is COO of Ubisoft Massive, the studio behind The Division - a game set in a stricken New York City patrolled by an armed government militia - and the upcoming The Division 2, which moves the setting on to the nation's very centre of politics, Washington DC.

"It's also bad for business, unfortunately, if you want the honest truth..." Condelius continued, "but it is interesting and it is a discussion that we have, and it's an ongoing discussion we have with our users, of course, because people want to put an interpretation into the universe that we create and they want to see their own reality in the fantasies that we give them, and the stories that the games are."

It reminds me of Far Cry 5, another Ubisoft game, and its depiction of an armed cult in a rural US setting - and the trouble I had trying to get Ubisoft to talk about the politics it might feature - or lack of them.

"If you make the game just about one thing, you're going to miss a lot of opportunities for players to express themselves," Far Cry franchise boss Dan Hay told me in December last year.

"So, there will be moments in the game where characters will talk about stuff and there will be moments where others won't. But the goal is to create it so you can author your experience and if you walk in and meet a character who has a certain view, or certain opinion, they're going to feel real. But you can say 'nope, that's not for me' and you can go off and do this, or if you want to just run off and blow up stuff and have a good time, you can."

Maybe you agree with Condelius, maybe not. Either way, though, pop your views in a video game and they could hurt business.

Politics is Bad for Business

I hate this.

So, back when Jack Thompson (remember him?) was raging war on video games over ten years ago the main defence for them was that like other media video games are a creative expression, or art, if you like.  So they fall under the same free speech laws.  There were loads of to-ing and fro-ing in the courts and it was decided games are as valid as other media.

So after that Ubisoft still won't make The Division about anything.  It's so pathetic.  They just want the image of being worthwhile without actually giving anything.  What's the point in this setting, then? why not just make something like Fortnite if you want to be somewhat apolitical.  Why have Tom Clancy's name attached to something you don't want to make a political point with?

Get fucked, Alf.

I think I and DC read that interview in entirely different ways. 

They make games without any intention to side one way or the other. With no political motivation or narrative. Not that their opinion falls strongly in one camp but are made to stay quiet. 

It's not about sides but subject.  How can you have a dude's name on the cover famous for writing political thrillers and shy away from politics?  How do you be a "good person in a decaying world" without wanting to change it?  Is the history and the cause of said world not brought up whether in lore or plot?  All this makes me think is The Division 2 is thematically just gonna be this meme:

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like it gives you access to the free stuff 7 days early from what I can tell plus some free activities & the usual crap.

"The Division 2 year one season pass comes with exclusive activities, 7-days early access to all free DLCs for The Division 2, exclusive customization items, and more. "