passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 6

illdog

• 7 years later...

First Aid Spray, mother fuckers!

I've just finished Leon's campaign and it is without a doubt the worst Resident Evil game in the series!

However.

I'm playing through it with a friend and we're having such a laugh playing it I kinda love it.

As a game by itself it's serviceable, but as a Resident Evil game it is fucking terrible, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having a great time playing it with my friend. I was genuinely cry laughing at the Chapter 4 boss! He's a horse with a machine gun for a face! Come on ??

Can't wait to see what other bullshit the next campaign throws at me.

Also mods, got a bunch of aubergines in here talking about Final Fantasy, can we move those posts to the dedicated thread please. Thanks.

I've seen some people play this game and make it look really good. You can kinda sort of see what they were trying to do with all the weird control gimmicks, like a kind of zombie John Wick game but the set piece and overall level and encounter design is so fucking awful. Everything feels so mushy and has little impact, the FOV is way too close. The boring QTEs etc

I absolutely loved this back in the day. 

I played through all campaigns online with mates and randoms and had an absolute blast. I've never been an RE purist so the drastic changes they made to the formula (and shitty B-movie-ness running through it) never affected my enjoyment at all.

To this day it's my second favourite RE game.

Cleared two chapters of Chris's campaign and it is so stupid it's unreal ?

It's got everything! Amnesia, flashbacks, air lifted giant troll monsters and parachuting Eastern European mutant boys!

My friend and I spent the whole time cracking jokes about punching boulders.

Playing more tomorrow and hoping to finish Chris's campaign.

13 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

left the series in a total dead-end. Thankfully 7 pulled the series back in the right direction, of actually being good.

I bet the Remakes and Ethan games will retcon 6 eventually.

Kinda like how dmc2 never happened. Or the Star Wars EU.

DMC2 happened. Like diarrhoea happens. Absolutely awful, and a relief to be done with. 

I got the Platinum for Resi 6. So I can definitely say, the whole thing was an utter chore. It was long. So I guess it had that going for it. Other than that? Meh.

• 3 years later...

I am playing this currently, just seeing out the last of the final campaign and honestly I think it is easily in the running for the worst big game of last decade. It's absolutely horrific.

I don't really know why people defend this. Even if it wasn't wearing the Resident Evil branding it'd still be wank.

Yeah, this game is like a parody of the stupid direction AAA was in during this time period. Dumb, flashy, very streamlined and on-rails, lots of money spent on nothing particularly interesting

Only mainline RE I've never been able to get through, and I'll leave it like that. Too many good REs, both classic and modern, to bother with this pile of shite. RE5 was a happier medium for action-horror, and so is RE4 Remake

You say streamlined, but I disagree. It's such an obstructive PoS game. It commits so many cardinal sins when it comes to game design, it's like the people that made it never played a game in their whole lives.

Absolute fucking rubbish. Each time you think you reached the bottom it just keeps going and plumbing the depths even more.

Yeah, I keep hearing some say it's a good action game if you just give it a chance but I'm pretty sure it's bad, though I keep thinking about trying again to check.  I'm fine with a series being established for being a certain way doing something different but I think I would have picked up if it was actually cool.  There's just so many better games doing what its trying to go for.

The heavy hitting third person shooters are definitely better but even something like Binary Domain is significantly better than RE6.

It's absolute shite.

Nonsensical story even by Resident Evil standard. Who the fuck are half of these people? Don't tell me. I don't care.

Abysmal inventory management. I feel it's pretty bad over Resident Evil games overall really, but this one takes the piss. It's this weird mess of basic scrolling, but it scrolls both ways and you can fast swap weapons, but when you have a lot of weapons it make it so you're back and forth. The game also decided to pack your inventory out by giving you way too many throwables, but makes them a chore to use. Every so often you're best off just stopping and clearing them from your inventory.

Controls are shite. It has this weird cover system that's a mix of something like Gear and Army of Two, but instead of copying one or the other and improving them, it takes the worst aspects from both of them.

Vehicle sections are uniformly terrible. They even know this themselves because when you die it gives you full health from the check point.

Game constantly has points where it wrestles the camera from you, or even anchors your view to something while you are in the action. The action doesn't pause. You will die because of this. It also has a weird habit of not letting you see what you need to see.

Some parts are impossible if you are playing as a specific character in some hosting situations. You can become soft locked.

When a player gets downed, the game takes control away from you while it fucking stun grenades your eyes with a negative flash. You can receive damage during this time, just like when it does the cinematic pans or focuses your camera on whatever it's doing.

FOV feels like it's inside my eyeballs.

No auto reloads when a magazine is empty meaning that you're often caught with your pants down.

Terrible AI. Even in co-op you're stuck with AI doing shit that will just get hung up and cause you fails.

"Puzzles". Generally you're only going to get stuck because the geography of the level is horrendous in parts. In fact there's a part in every single campaign where you have to do three of whatever in an area and these parts suck so much.

Health system is garbage. Damaged received is inconsistent across the game. You can get stunlocked in certain areas of the game.

The item drop rates are skewed as to be a bit of a headache. This is tied to the shit inventory I think, because you can get 100's of pistol bullets and can't use them fast enough to negate more pistol bullets dropping, but not getting anything for other weapons or vice versa. My co-op partner regularly has run completely out of ammo, sometimes through her own gung-ho nature, but sometimes just because the game insist on giving you xp.

XP is pointless. The perks are pointless. I feel like some of them might as well be a placebo effect they aid you so little. There's so many situational ones that provide so little value there's no point in them existing. So many of them require you to kill 1000 enemies or whatever with a specific weapon. No thanks.

It's never 100% clear what an area wants from you in some instances. Is it to survive? Is it to get the keys and escape? Do I need to do a puzzle to stop the waves? Is it a combination of all of the above?

In instances of where the players get split up and must do something to progress the parts, it's barely clear on what needs doing, especially when you are at a whim of the co-op partner. Like, do I just stand and defend? Do I have urgency to do the objective to get them out of trouble? Also these parts are fucking shite to play when its you waiting on them.

On said parts, holding to view what they are doing so you can see what they see only works part of the time. 

The characters are terrible. Leon and his sidekick are fine in isolation, but the rest of them are truly the worst of the worst. Jake in particular is to Resident Evil 6 as to what Poochie was to the Itchy and Scratchy show.

The running away sections are shit. All of them. All of them are hampered with spinning the camera around and generally making them as unpleasant to experience as possible. 

Boss fights are shit. Boss fights in RE games have never been it strong suite, but they somehow managed to make them at best tedious and at worst agonising. Shit design throughout, such as bosses getting toppled out of reach where you cannot continue the attack that is needed to finish them.

Constant QTE's.

Ada campaign is for one player only, making it so that the co-op player is just there to be dragged along. Why make a game that's intended for 2 players and then do this?

Instances of where you can be instakilled through no fault of your own by standing in the wrong position are too frequent. You could argue once is enough, but this game does it a lot. Ambulances, cars, trains, helicopters, floors collapsing, you name it, there's probably some bullshit there that will cause a kill screen before you even knew it was going to be there. Not even QTE failures, just BAM and you're looking at a you died screen.

This game was released in 2012, the same as Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Dishonoured, Journey, Hotline Miami, Dragons Dogma, Diablo 3, Fez, Mark of the Ninja, The Walking Dead, Super Hexagon, Okami HD, X-Com, Dear Esther, Binary Domain, Anomaly, Super Brothers, Sniper Elite 2, Plague Inc, LEGO Batman, Spec Ops: The Line, Spelunky, Orcs Must Die 2, CS:GO, FTL, Torchlight II, Euro Truck 2, Halo 4 and Thomas Was Alone. 

I played all of these way after release, with only some being played on or thereabouts on release, and without a doubt Resident Evil 6 is easily the worst game. By a country mile. There's so many issues it faces or just gets wrong.

Like, even when you look at the comparable AAA games from that year. BL2, FC3, Dishonoured, Dragons Dogma and Halo 4. 

Borderlands 2 has aged a bit like milk on the joke front, but it's still serviceable. The core part of it is fun even though it's starting to get rough edges. One of the best bad guys in gaming history.

Far Cry was the big one that kicked it all off. Enjoyed it the years after it came out when I got around to it, even if it was a bit silly.

Dishonoured was fucking excellent. Sublime from end to end with a few niggles I could overlook.

Dragons Dogma is a cult classic. Yeah, it gets many things wrong, but the bit it gets is so so fucking right.

Halo 4 was trying to tread old ground with a new face on. It wasn't awful or brilliant. Just a general stagnating franchise that's trading on past glories while trying to maintain the hook that people fell in love with.

I cannot think of any good things to say about Resident Evil 6. Maybe it's made us laugh at how shit it is, but not in a kitschy way, just in a "This is absolutely fucking terrible" way. It's a complete embarrassment from Capcom. It's absolute shite. There's not a single aspect from this game that I can go "You know what, it did x or y well". It's fumbled its way throughout the runtime at best and at worst it's being absolutely diabolical. Even games that I've hated there's usually some aspect that I can admire, but this? Not a fucking chance. 

The last time I think I disliked a game this much was Dungeon Siege III maybe?

The funny thing is I went into this game thinking that there's literally no way it can be as bad as people say it is, there has to be some hyperbole there. No. Not at all. This game is a complete void of quality. If I was to make a list of the 10 worst games I've ever played, this would take a spot. 

I'm not sure if you're playing this for a co-op stream or something, but if co-op is important you really should play 5 instead if you've not. It's a good co-op RE. Else, play RE4 remake, probably the best action RE at this point.

Anyway as bad as this game is, it had that DMC2 effect of causing a course correction with its sequel into much better territory. Sort of balances out I suppose, unless you actually choose to play this dreck on purpose for some reason