passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Aliens - Colonial Marines

spatular

i rented this to play some coop, not really an aliens fan, it's not great. anyway, had some bugs - first of all i had no main gun, the guy has his hands out like hes holding a gun but there's nothing there, so i had to use the shotgun and pistol only, rebooting the xbox didn't even fix that. another point my friend fell through the scenery in the game. we had trouble on a few sections with the difficulty despite being on the easiest mode, but it does look like the coop is supposed to be for 4 people.

I've seen that crawling scene before. It's hilariously bad, you can see why they cut it.

Also, I think this game would be good to play. Why? Simply because when you play a game that does a lot of things bad, it makes you appreciate the things that are good in other games that you thought were bad. It sort of puts things in perspective.

• 10 months later...

So I think I'll say something about this since I've played it for an hour or two.

What I think is annoying about it is it isn't even laughably bad, it's just sad. It's not some confusing bit of trash, as there is an actual video game under there, but it's just surrounded by shite.

I actually don't mind the graphics. I'm far from an Alien/s expert but I've had those films on before and the game looks like the films to me. The aesthetic is right, it has some nice lighting. I think the Alien hives could look gooier and steamier but the ship stuff looks okay. I even don't mind the Xeno character models on their own, it's just when they start moving is the problem.

The problem with the way things move is obviously because of the decision to make it multiplayer, in that AI Marines and Xenos are controlled using the same methods as a person, and that gives a real unnatural sense of movement, which is a bad for a game using a franchise based a lot on atmosphere.

Like there were numerous occasions when a Marine and one of those mercenaries would be running around and bumping into each other, looking like your mam and dad playing Quake Arena for the first and last time. What should of happened is borrowed those custom AI and animation routines like those in CoD so it doesn't look so fucking idiotic. I mean it's a mainstream FPS released in 2013 and it has that damn template so they could of used that AI style, too. I mean, I don't really like those games but they don't fail at the atmosphere they are going for.

Anyway. The gameplay is... I wanna say average, because that's what it is, but it's average in such an insipid way it makes it hard work to play. It's the most 'day at the office' FPS I've ever played.

I feel like I'm missing something, but I may remember when I play it again. I think I am gonna play this thing to the end, just to see.

Okay, I've got to the big where you are on the planet and you're being chased by the big Xenomorph, and now I just don't think I can take it anymore. The bit before this was the most bizarre stealth section I've ever played (in recentish memory), and now its just the worst guff.

It's... I dunno where to start... this game needs put down... it's suffering... I'm suffering playing it.

I think I've seen enough.

Bye bye, Aliens: CM.

It's true, the last boss is fucking ridiculous. It's amazing to think nobody on the dev team thought "hang on, this is bollocks. We can do better than this, right guys?".

Can't say I'm that hyped for the new Aliens game, as this was a total fuck up. Ok, Isolation can't be as bad as this. But it's hard to drum up enthusiasm when you've been burned before.

Creative Assembly also made Viking: Battle for Asgard which I really enjoyed. And Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga which was the first 3D game I ever played. So there is some hope there. Although I have held the opinion for a while that the idea of the Alien franchise is nearly always going to be better than the reality. There hasn't been anything involving the Alien franchise that I would consider essential since 1986, the year I was born.

You got further than I did DC. I got to the bit where you are given the Smart Gun and then couldn't figure out where to go and as far as I could tell the objective marker was disabled while using the gun. I didn't care enough to try and figure it out after a couple of deaths.

Yeah, I get it. Someone once shit in my breakfast bowl, but it isn't as bad as the time someone shit on my face.

Actually, when I was Trittering my experience with this game my mate's brother did say it's not as bad as the last Alien Vs. Predator game.

Why is it when friends and brothers interact it creates the most idiotic shite?

I mean AVP may be a piece of shit but loads of kinda okay games are pieces of shit. This is beyond that. There is nothing charming about it that redeems it: it's just a boring, overly marketed (while using lies), terribly made, designed with no focus, piece of shit.

Even the Bubsy games get remembered now in a lovingly hated way, but this game will never have that. It's just not alright video game in any way.