passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

retroed

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I was thinking about buying this game on PC because it’s only £15 on CDKeys but then I watched some of it being played and I was like oh yes it’s this game.

Not only did it completely put me off playing it but it’s suddenly bought the realisation that the new one is a sequel to this game, and what that means.

Hope Forbidden West is good but they are going to have to shake this thing up from top to bottom. The first game, even all those years ago, was so trite and played out. The combat was novel sure but even that was highly superficial and abusable, making even it’s most unique idea incredibly repetitive.

I was getting super pumped for the sequel as the marketing was really working on me. But I had not really considered the reality of it and what it is a sequel too. Bring the hype meter down, we’re back to cool. 

The title screen music is fantastic, though. It’s the best thing about the game. It peaks at the title screen. 

I thought I was the only one who didn't like that game.

It's got everything I like, too. Explody arrows, platforming, a (sort of) open world.

Perhaps you should write a treatise on why this game should be great but isn't. Keep it under 20000 words.

But weren't we told it was great by our wonderfully independent gaming press? That should be your jumping off point.

As for my other assumptions, a treatise is just a piece of paper with some writing on it, and if you throw 2 stones on the ground, 20000 is a bit more stones than that.

Yea Zero Dawn was a bit boring. It should have been amazing, robot Dinosaurs? Sign me the fuck up. But it just didn’t work. The combat never felt as good as it should either or looked anywhere near as cool while playing as the trailers made out. It was too fiddly and chaotic to do the awesome manoeuvres they showed off. 

When this was launcing was the same time as Zelda BOTW and a lot of comparisons being drawn between the 2, And most seemed gush over BOTW while HZD was widely viewed as good but not great.

I was in the camp of people looking forward to BOTW more that this, its the game that made me buy a switch, however I enjoyed Horizon just a little bit more, I found its enviroments and characters more engaging and weapons and combat were far superior in my book, but we all know opinions are like arseholes.

And both are fucking excellent games in my book. But this time round Im now way more hyped for Horizon tha Zelda, but that might be because we havent seen much of the later.

The review looks to more or less match with what I think of the first one.  But I only played it for a few hours and borrowed it from someone I worked with and wanted it back not that long after.  I think she expected I'd blast through it but I think I was pretty deep into Monster Hunter World at the time and I think it was off the back of God of War too and while those games aren't the same as this I just wasn't clicking with it as that where my mind was.

I really don't have any interest in this but Halo Infinite is working for me so I can't really think of a good reason this isn't, it's just Guerrilla seems to make games that have all the quality, polish and all the right things on paper but don't really come together as something truly special and it feels weird.  The Killzone games are like that too.

To be clear I was never being a hater and saying Horizon is shit, it’s just really plain and outside of the combat, which gets old by itself, it didn’t really do anything that new or interesting. 

I didn’t quite rate the original as highly as the critical reviews and other gamers. I remember taking quite some time to get into it and not warming up to Aloy as a character for quite a number of hours. 

But the rhetoric here is a bit harsh and a little bit looking back in hindsight with 2022 eyes. This game didn’t get everything right but for a new IP in 2017 it did do an awful lot of things very well, it was a resounding success, even if it didn’t land for you personally. 

Given the fact Guerrilla Games used to be best known for Killzone, an FPS series that brought nothing new to the genre except a slightly less than generic look, are we really surprised that Horizon wasn't a world-beating title? It cherry-picked elements from Assassin's Creed (and Far Cry, and any number of other Ubi open-world titles from the time), had similarities to BOTW, and wrapped it all up in a lovely dino-hunting package.

Personally, I adored Horizon 1. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. But I like some god awful games, and I'm a sucker for a relatively linear third-person adventure game.

I can see through a critical lens why someone may have bounced off it, so I'm not surprised - at all - that people might not think it's the T's knees now.