passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

retroed

When you tie them down you don't need to get all the ropes on them for it to work to your full benefit. 

You know those Tom and Jerry cartoons where Tom tethers Spike, and then gets just out of reach and brays the cunt over the head? You can do that here and it's a perfectly valid tactic. You don't need to have them pinned to the floor and completely immobile, you can just put a few ropes on a mob and then get out of range and deal with other stuff or whatever. There's more application than just pinning shit directly to the ground, you can use it aggressively and defensively.

Stuck on a boss at the moment, bit of a cunt. I've watched a youtube video of a guy fighting it and he struggled even with 3 rows of health medicine to pool from, and I have maybe one. There is medicine dotted around though.

That video has given me the main idea of where to focus on, though, so I will get the bastard down.

Is the Frozen Wilds section the very north of the map? How did that work for those before the expansion came out? Was that bit of the map never there?

• 4 months later...
On 15/07/2017 at 20:55, Blakey said:

The first 10 hours I found it very hard to get into, it opens up a bit after that though and it managed to charm me a bit more, the story is the standout thing about it for me, the combat is good but can get incredibly frustrating on occasion I found.

I'm still in these early stages (just completed The Proving) but I'm finding it like an  odd Tomb Raider (2013) / Assassin's Creed hybrid, rather than a game with its own clear identity so far. Hoping it develops soon.

Aloy has just said "I've got to find my  focus......" - yep, so true......

30 minutes ago, Nag said:

It's a third person, open world adventure game... I'm not sure what you were expecting?

Something  a bit  less  identi-kit to those  games I  mentioned?

Is  it really too  much to ask for some original gameplay ideas/identity of presentation, especially in this much lauded AAA exclusive, maybe they'll be more apparent later in the game?

Took out my first bandit camp, which was fun, lots of arrows to the head  kills. But, I'd entered at the 'wrong'  end, so then had to endure an inappropriate conversation at the other end, from a guy  whose tribe had been captured in the camp,  and if I'd help  to  free them (which, of course, I'd already done, so a few seconds later, the quest complete marker popped up).

Damn me for free roaming, must stick to the script.....

I’ve started this having seen it in the PS4 this morning. It’s probably the prettiest game I’ve ever played. The gameplay seems ok but nothing particularly interesting has happened so far and it’s been hand holdy so I’m looking forward to it really opening up to do as I like (assuming you can) later.

Spoiler

A door/mother’s pussy just denied me access.

• 2 months later...

Went back to this to do the DLC which I bought and started ages ago. I forgot how annoying the combat could be. I think every enemy attack in the game has a form of crowd control. Stunned, blinded, shoved, knocked over. Just let me play the game you shits, I have Overwatch to drive me insane with CC, I don't need it in a single player game as well. 

When the game actually lets you play rather than tossing you about like a hacky sack it still has very exciting explosions. 

On 17/05/2020 at 11:54, Nag said:

plays and performs flawlessly.

I mean, I’ve started this and in the first 2 hours there’s been moments where it’s janky as heck. One funny moment that springs to mind was her doing a diving into water animation in slow motion and a foot about the water before springing back upright as it wasn’t deep enough to swim in.

Im too early in to say if I’m enjoying it. I assume there’s more to the open land than robots to take down? Stuff and secrets to find?

26 minutes ago, mmmark said:

Im too early in to say if I’m enjoying it. I assume there’s more to the open land than robots to take down? Stuff and secrets to find?

I found it more like the Ubisoft style of, here's a bunch of map icons to walk to, rather than free exploration - I didn't really enjoy it much.

Are you suggesting there is no entertainment value in simply exploring the virtual open space offered in games like RDR, BotW, GTA etc?

I'm sure that would be a 'hot take' in the Och sense of the term ?.

42 minutes ago, Nag said:

If wondering around vast empty expanses of land is your bag though more power to you.☺

Strawman.

I've never played a videogame in which you were invited to simply stroll around an empty expanse of land. In all of the games I've mentioned, and you can include the elder Scrolls and fallout games, you are encouraged to wander and discover things, a quest, a puzzle, a village, the bloody aftermath of a gangland shootout (as I did just the other day while playing GTA V). What you're usually not encouraged to do is battle a bunch of mechs every 30 steps or leg it and miss everything the game might have had to offer off the beaten track.

In that way I don't regard HZD as an open world game in the way most people think of the genre.

What have I done.

Its better now it’s opened up more. The traversal takes some getting used to tho. It feels 10 years old in that regards. Like there’s places you can get onto by cheating the physics and forcing your way up and around invisible walls.

• 2 months later...