passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

retroed

Pretty good, this. It's impressive what Guerilla have pulled off on a stock PS4.  I've put around 4hrs in, level 8 and defeated a boss in a settlement that was attacked. Left it just after there as I had to go to work. I'm not certain when I'll be back because Zelda.

I've restarted the the game, I'd gotten up to around 11 hours played and then found out I'd missed something reasonably important in a starting area and couldn't figure how to get back in to reach it... I'm not cared though, if I'm honest, I didn't want to make too much progress before rigging up my Pro next Sunday. I'll probably reach back to where I was before the restart.

I absolutely adore the game as a whole, it's like a mash up between the Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls... It's also quite difficult in places, I'm only going through on normal difficulty and a couple of things I've come across handed me my arse when I wasn't paying attention.

Before the restart I'd had my first instance of a NPC gang starting something with a couple of bigger robot creatures which was fun to watch... then I finished the stragglers and looted the whole lot of them.

Haven't seen a ThunderJaw yet, though...

I've bumped up the difficulty to hard today, with how the combat works and how you can plan out an attack I thought I'd try to up the survival stakes... and its backfired pretty much instantly, ran across a corruption zone with a Bellowback and a load of Buffalo looking things who are pretty much kicking my arse.... If only I could find a Sawtooth to send into the place. 

Communities_20170306_203210.jpg

Communities_20170306_203219.jpg

Aftermath of a Bellowback battle...

Finally moved the main quest line on (by one mission:lol:)... which led me into my first encounter with some Snapmaw, this things really reminded me of one of my childhood favourites, Zoids. Found myself in a nest of these Crocodile looking buggers and things got very dicey until I found a nice vantage point where I could set them alight and rain down arrows on them...

Communities_20170307_192458.jpg

Communities_20170307_192505.jpg

Lots of explosions and carnage ensued... it was ace.

Things are definitely ramping up, mixed groups of Mechs and they're getting bigger and stronger....

Hit level 25 tonight and after probably around 15 hours finally hit Meridian, which (I think) was a level 12 main quest... A nice trek through a different looking region with a couple of new mech types to meet up with and bigger groups of some of the previous harder Mechs from the other first region.

Communities_20170308_222405.jpg

Bought some nice new armour and weapons and joined with a hunters Guild... So I can't see main quest line moving forward a whole lot any time soon. I might make climbing the remaining Tallnecks my next thing so I can see all the map.

Bumped up the difficulty to very hard too.

Another day, another Horizon session... This was only a couple of hours and didn't really go that well, which was my own fault for hitting areas way over my level.

Went Tallneck hunting managed to scratch another two off the list but they were bitches to get to, mainly down to how well guarded they were by other machines...

Communities_20170309_225519.jpg

4 down one to go....:D

Aaaaand the last Tallneck was overridden earlier today so now my map is fully uncovered.... which led me to these beauties...

Communities_20170310_160036.jpg

First encounter with Thunderjaws and there's two of the sods... which means I've no chance in a straight up fight but I have a bow that can corrupt machines and make them fight for me, you can guess what happens... Epic battle between those two, about three or four flying Glinthawks were drawn in to it and around four or five Longhorn too... It was awesome.

One Thunderjaw was left standing after all that carnage.... but not for long...

Communities_20170310_160047.jpg

Thunderjaw down...:D

@ThreeFour... For me, I'd be amazed if this didn't end up my goty... there's probably two releases this year that may take over.

I love open world games structured like this, I'm doing main quest missions at the minute that are level 12 and I'm level 30, I've been mucking about that much.

Combat wise there's a lot of options to work with, the game looks stunning and handles just as well. Seriously, if you own a PS4 and don't play this game at some point then you may as well just stop gaming.... It's a stand out game on the system.

Had a good three hour session with this earlier, up to level 35 with around 34 hours played, all the Cauldrons are complete now so i can override all of the normal machines... getting close enough to do so sometimes proves a little tricky though.

Had a pretty hard fight against a Stormbird earlier, even using the Ropecaster and tying his ass to the floor didn't really help that much... got him in the end though.

Communities_20170318_163347.jpg

Good job none of his mates decided to show or I wouldn't of stood a chance... Now to find a ThunderJaw to make my pet...B)

Finished this earlier, it's all around outstanding... I was hoping I'd get an epic picture for the Platinum Trophy, and of course, i ended up with a black screen.:(

One of the best games I've played this gen and probably a shoe in for GotY for me... I can't see anything topping it this year, it's already made my PlayStation Pro purchase so worthwhile too.

Roll on the story expansion.

Oh, now that ain't fair @Blakey... You can't make me choose between those two.:lol:

My sitting on the fence answer would be that they're actually reasonably different games and shouldn't be compared to each other, much the same as Uncharted and Tomb Raider really shouldn't...

My heart tells me Horizon takes it on combat, story and looks (although I've not tried RotTR in 4k yet)... It's fucking excellent and i cant wait for the inevitable sequel.

7 minutes ago, Nag said:

Oh, now that ain't fair @Blakey... You can't make me choose between those two.:lol:

My sitting on the fence answer would be that they're actually reasonably different games and shouldn't be compared to each other, much the same as Uncharted and Tomb Raider really shouldn't...

My heart tells me Horizon takes it on combat, story and looks (although I've not tried RotTR in 4k yet)... It's fucking excellent and i cant wait for the inevitable sequel.

Yeah that's fair enough, I guess on the surface of it for me Horizon looks quite similar to RotTR in some respects due to all the bows and arrow combat that's in both games, but I guess thinking about it they're actually quite different with all the robo-dinosaur's, huge open world and more in depth RPG mechanics in Horizon.

Good to hear you rate it that highly in terms of combat, story and looks though, been gagging to play it since release but will have to wait another month at least before I can get stuck in. 

Don't let the floaty damage numbers fool you, this is a open world action game through and through... The RPG elements are very similar to the Tomb Raider games. You won't start the game doing 10 hit points of damage and end it doing 1 million... @Blakey

After the initial fear of the Switch/Zelda launch timing effecting the sales of this I'm glad it did the numbers it did, it deserves all the success it gets... It's a fucking miracle what they've achieved on a vanilla PS4.

• 1 month later...

Started this earlier with a 4 hour session.

Was really surprised by the very early part of the game, didn't really think this would have that kind of an angle to it at all, all I'd ever seen of it is tribe stuff and grassy areas taking on dino-bots so that early bit of the tutorial was definitely an eye opener, sure enough after a bit longer than necessary you take control of an adult Aloy and put into the open world sandpit.

I know a lot has been said about the graphics in this so I'll keep it brief, but they must be seen to be believed, in 4K HDR they're simply jaw-dropping, some of the vistas, the draw-distance and how smooth and seamless everything feels is a fantastic achievement, some of the up-close textures seem a little muddy at times but that's a tremendously minor complaint.

This is the first game I've encountered that uses the 3D Audio technology that's in my headset, so I got to try it for the first time. Quite impressed with it, when you're sneaking in the long-grass it definitely seems clearer which direction enemies are going in and background noises seem much more vivid than usual, voices seem much louder too.

Most of my time was spent just getting used to the flow of the game, the enemies and the open-world aspects really. The enemies are damn tough especially if you get surrounded by them and even on Normal I've already had my arse handed to me at times. The combat feels pretty good, when you manage to stick an arrow in a Watcher's mouth/face-hole on the first attempt and they go down like a sack of spuds you can't help but feel elated, the close-quarters-combat feels a bit inelegant though and a bit messy, just hammering on R1/R2 to chip away at an enemy's health while sticking close to them doesn't feel as satisfying or polished as it should be, but again that's a rather minor complaint and I'm sure it'll improve as I unlock more skills/abilities as the game progresses.

Did a few side-quests and they've all been pretty good, highlight was one where I had to track a mentally unstable guy and talk him down from committing suicide due to his crimes, the rest were fairly standard open-world fayre at this point, but I'm sure there'll be many more good ones as we go on.

The world itself is my biggest disappointment so far, it just feels a bit bland, it doesn't really feel unique enough for me, just feels so similar to Far Cry or something like that and doesn't really feel distinct, I've only explored the opening area and I'm sure there's lots of variation in landscapes as I go on so I'm hoping things get much more memorable in terms of environs.

The story is what has impressed me the most though, even though I'm very early into the game it has already taken some twists and turns I really didn't expect it to,

Spoiler

when you talk to Ivan (or whatever his name is) at the speech in the town before the proving (all sounds very Hunger Games doesn't it) and Aloy discovers he's got a 'focus' too I knew something may be afoot, but I really didn't expect as big as a twist as we had after Aloy had won the proving, didn't see it coming at all and it really shocked me how all the other participants perished in the incident and that one of the enemies brought a mother-fucking machine gun! I was like WTF? I thought this game was all spears and bows :lol: guess I was wrong.

Just regained control of Aloy and left it there for the day, will pick up where I left off tomorrow. So yeah, so far so good really, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the world itself and hope new areas/locales reveal themselves that'll be more memorable and vivid but apart from that I'm quite impressed by it, it hasn't blown by tits off yet by any means but I'm still very early in.