passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

God of War

DisturbedSwan

This game is excellent but imo it really isn't that Souls-ey once you start unlocking new abilities. It's more like a very grounded character action kind of thing where you just get stuck into it

Might try this one out on Deck, continue where I left off my PC playthrough

27 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

imo it really isn't that Souls-ey once you start unlocking new abilities.

That's what I wanted to hear. The first few enemy encounters, including the Troll, didn't really do anything for me. I know nothing of this game. Naturally didn't read any of the pages or posts prior to mine either. So my initial idea going in was based on what I remembered of the last one I played (GoW3).

I remember though when this game came out people were expecting it to be Kratos Souls cause of the weightiness and commitment of some attacks. In fact I just read the first few pages of the thread and that mis-impression happened right here lol.

You get a really varied toolkit by the end, a lot of the combat is a bit rock paper scissors. When to use the axe, or bare fists, or your cooldowns etc. Crowd management and ranged attacks etc etc. It's the only time I've enjoyed playing as Kratos

Maybe I'm doing this wrong??

The combat isn't flowing properly. It's weird that locking on to enemies doesn't turn you around. That you have to manually do this with a button (this was a recent tutorial). I'll pummel some zombie into paste only to be hit in the back by the next one. Because I'm left facing a wall when the enemy disintegrated?

The thing I'm missing at the moment is the Blades of Chaos from the offset. The axe is fine. The throwing mechanic makes it better for utility than combat. The punches feel satisfying but lack the power of the Cestus, from previous games. Still trying to get used to using a shield in GoW, too.  

Aside from that. The game is giving me strong Ico vibes, with the adventures of Kratos and Boy. I fell into a nice trap earlier too. As I went for a hidden treasure chest and got ambushed by a very powerful enemy. While not as immediately visceral as prior games in the series. It is fun to be controlling a character with personality again. Not just pointless player avatar.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm planning on getting Ragnarok before the year is out so I'm doing what I did with TLoU and going through the original in preparation.

Man, this game is good.  I'm doing the new game+ that was put in post release (I messed up at first by pulling from my most recent save an I must have started again at some point and it pulled from that save and I didn't understand why I was getting one hit killed by the first enemy 🙃) but it eventually clicked and I started again with my good equipment and now the early game is getting done with the armour set I got from grinding that late game foggy area.

I'm still early and haven't changed my opinion on it, it's definitely a game of the generation by just being a great example of satisfying gameplay and well integrated linier storytelling.  It just does what it does really well.  Going back has made me really pumped for the sequel.

• 1 year later...

I have a ps 5 on it's way, so I've fired this up on the 4 so I can get a feel for how much it upgrades on the new system. (What? I'll get a life next week, jeez).

It's been hanging around the house for years and is one of my eldest's favourite games. I think I had a go back in the day but gave up. Not that I thought it was bad, I just don't think I was in the mood for it.

Now, tho, I'm pretty stoked to play it. My poor old playstation 4 controller is a bit of a basket case at this point (it was a launch model tbf) and likes to fire off random inputs now and then, which is certainly not what you need on a game this tense (and hard)! Consequently I won't be playing much, but I am impressed just how good it looks on the old system. I'm pretty sure it will be the best looking game I've ever played on the ps5. Although, having said that, I'm just assuming it got the relevant upgrades like games do on the series x.

Got my PS5 yesterday and loaded this up. I had about an 8 hour save from PS4, and the upgrade smacks you in the face a bit (I'm talking launch ps4 here). 

It's true that what you don't have you don't miss, but having spent the last few years on an XSX it was a relief to get back to 60fps. Much more solid as an experience. And a great game to boot. I'm loving the little bit of freedom to explore around the lake area, and I know you get a lot more of that in the sequel. Excellent start to my PS5 adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this. For me maybe the greatest action game ever, and those RPG elements and (limited) open world exploration didn't hurt my enjoyment either. 

I really think this was an inspired move forward for this franchise and I'm looking forward to playing the sequel. I just can't think of another game that felt so solid under my fingers, as though what was happening on screen was a perfect representation of how my hands felt on the controller. That's a weird think to say, but possibly the best way to describe my experience.

On 02/01/2024 at 15:29, Metroid66 said:

It's true that what you don't have you don't miss, but having spent the last few years on an XSX it was a relief to get back to 60fps.

What do you mean by that? Cross-Gen games usually have performance modes on both systems. I mean, yes, GoW isn't available on Xbox, but I mean as a rule of thumb.