passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

God of War

DisturbedSwan

Been playing this the last few weeks and fucking hell this is just amazing. Absolutely loving the story in it, the characters are fantastic and so well voiced and acted. 

Im finding myself doing side missions just because I know the boy would like it, like the one where the spirit is obviously duping you but Atreus thinks he might see his mum again. 

Think I'm near the end now, desperately hoping Thor turns up but im betting they save him for a sequel. 

I tried replaying it and felt it too slow once you know it all already. But it has like my second favourite combat in a game this gen, after dmc5 obviously. How Kratos flows between axe combat and hand-to-hand clobbering. It finally brought a technical side to GoW that the old games just didnt have. Its so good, as are the little interludes where they tell you myths

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was watching a Let’s Play of this and it got me interested in wanting to play the game again. I started at about 11:30pm. It’s now 2:30am. This game is still really good. 

Playing on PS5 as well so nice 60fps patch. But the thing that’s still wow-ing to me about this game is the HDR and use of colour + general art design. This game is fucking amazing looking. Even 3+ years later. 

I still have some issue with the combat in terms of awareness. I don’t think the kid is helpful enough and the little arrows don’t draw enough attention away from the kicking people in to trees and shit. But it’s still really fun. This game is hard too. Or, hard for a normal mode. Nearly every boss has almost killed me so far. 

But yeah, still a awesome game and it pulled me in almost immediately. I’m not sure if I’ll play it all the way through. I’ve just got to the boat and I’m pretty negative on the boat. But had a good time getting to it so will see how much longer it lasts. 

I did really enjoy playing it again, though. And god damn is it a looker. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are times when I feel like I massively undervalued this game. I forgot just how cool some moments are. There’s a ice level in this game with a huge, dead giant and when in front of the head it’s like wow. The scenes with the World Serpent are all really fun, it’s probably the best new character in the game. Even the new take on Kratos is working for me better now as well.

I played loads of it today because the game is so playable. I kind of forgot that. This is such a smooth gameplay experience. Good controls, level design, pace, more-ish combat, fun collectibles, decent difficulty. But the one thing I never realised about this game is how easily it delivers the player to the next bit of the game. When I say this is a smooth gameplay experience, they absolutely nailed not only getting the player moving and doing stuff, but then moving and transitioning the player around as well. It’s a deadly and brilliant combo that makes it so hard to stop playing. This game was play tested almost perfectly. I can’t think of another game that seats the player so comfortably and never interrupts while constantly managing and moving you. It’s very good. 

Especially the way I’m playing it which is minimal exploring and just main path the game. After all my years of gaming I finally learned there’s no point exploring in a game with unlockable abilities until you unlock the abilities. It’s just a waste of time. So fuck your rowing around I’m going straight to the marker, baby and this helps the pace of the game a lot. Maybe too quick. There’s no downtime now. Every time one problem is solved it’s straight in to another. 

However as much as I am appreciating aspects of the game more than I did first time around, I still think the God of War game is a bit short on God of War. I wish there were more big spectacle boss fights. There’s some huge scale stuff in this game, and you only get to look at it. I wish the fighting was more exciting. I wish there was more friction between characters. For a game with the words God and War in the title this game is 90% dad drama and 10% gods warring with each other. 

And as much as I like new Kratos, I still wish they’d dive more in to his story then his son’s and the dad drama all the time. There’s a bit in this game where an old character from the previous games turns up and it’s like yeah let’s talk about this instead. But no they don’t give you that. Even though it’s way more interesting than the main story. The only thing I really want from the boy is to learn his dad is covered in ashes from his family before him. How does he deal with that, knowing he’s his dad’s second kid. That would be interesting. I actually don’t care about the kid at all. I only care about the kid’s reaction to Kratos. 

I think my favourite moment in the game is when they meet the dragon at the mountain and the boy looks to Kratos and says “Can you kill something that big?” It’s such a cool line. 

So yeah, I think I like this game more than I did first time I played it. But I wish it was bigger and more aggressive. Ultimately I wish it was more God of War. Hopefully the sequel rectifies this.

I only had a quick look today but it's not that much of an upgrade is it? Shadows and native 4K? Playing the game recently I think it looks superb on PS5 anyway. Only really needed the 60fps patch to be noticeably better than the original 

I tried that PC port out. It's good, but didn't strike me as madly different looking. I messed around with the HDR but it seemed way too bright/high contrast on every setting and made scenes look worse, dunno if it was like that on PS.

They really are doing a great job with these Playstation ports tho. Days Gone was excellent as well (as a port at least, the game itself sucked lmao)

I think the digital foundry videos sell something short, which is it's not just about visuals it's how much better PC GOW feels. Just having the choice to turn off vsync and lower the resolution to a level where you can get 90fps+. I'm even playing with the UW mode, which is probably giving me the PS4 pro resolution. But fuck man, it play so much better. I can actually play it on a more reaction based level, which probably isn't the intended design of a game like this which is so input heavy, and reading of enemy tells heavy. But it doesn't stop it from feeling like an incredible upgrade. There's just something to be said for a game that registers inputs more fast and makes stuff way more thrilling. So I'm playing on hard mode this time, not normie mode like last time

I think aside from Bloodborne this is still my favourite Sony exclusive from the last gen, and I even think it's one of those actual classics from the last gen. Anyway, it sucks that maf built that incredible PC and started playing the PS5 version. You missing out!

(it might actually be possible to transfer console saves to PC using a mod, fwiw. Just saying)

Everyone's doing their 'look at this game in ultrawide' thing so here's mine lol. Stranger boss fight halfway through it

Spoiler

Eventually I will unlock all my shit again and remember how to play the game. I remember getting pretty good at it, but I never did more than a couple of the optional boss fights. Partly cause they were attached to some really boring content

I keep looking at it but it’s just too expensive right now. I saw on CD Keys it’s £30 but that’s still too much money for a game I’m currently playing through and having a great time with anyway. 

• 4 months later...

The Next Game

Elden Ring is going on the backburner for now. When you're playing out of habit than real enjoyment, it's time to reassess. So now I've turned to the New Adventures of Kratos!

The fighting is oddly similar to Soulsbornering. Which until after the first Troll boss, wasn't very God of War. Then slowly it starts to bring in the more visceral elements I'd expect from the Ghost of Sparta. I died against the Troll boss. Because I didn't understand the mechanics. The Stranger, on the other hand. This was more like it. Everything about it was fun!

That was my first session. I enjoyed it and look forward to more in my upcoming week off.