Sign in to follow this  
retroed

Forza Horizon 4

This is glorious. I'm playing at 60fps for the first time in a Horizon game and it is spectacular. It still looks wonderful in performance mode, and the boost in framerate has made this series feel even better.

I've done a couple of the showcase events which have been awesome, a barn find and some of each event. I'm currently playing in Spring and I am loving the differences between seasons. I joined the Giant Bomb club and am seeing other people from the club in my game which is cool.

This is game of the year material for me, and could well end up being my favourite driving game of all time.

It has everything.

c08620f5-acfd-4973-9685-802c28bad37c.jpeg

The first thing i did was get my poor avatar out of those skinny fucking jeans and in to some regular ones. Then i won some gold hotpants and I was ready to play the game properly.

As @Nag said, it's more Forza, if you've played 3 especially you'll be at home here. More Forza Horizon is a fucking good thing in my book though.

The DJ's are all awful, that's my only negative.

forza car.jpg

yeah it's more of the same, amazing graphics, great handling, the dirt track racing is great, the most important stuff is all really good...but as usual it does some imo stupid stuff, like winning hats/dances and stuff on the wheelspins i hate, i want a car or money, and they seem to have made fast travel even harder/worse - hopefully i'm missing something here - iirc you used to be able to unlock fast travel to events reasonably easily - is that still in there? all i can see is fast travel to houses (which are expensive) or the horizon festival thing, and  a house costing 2 million which lets you fast travel anywhere, but it's a driving game i want to spend the money on cars. I started a championship and it makes it reasonably difficult to work out where the next race is. although they have fixed some annoying stuff from previous games, now when you're doing drift/speed events in the open world - you can drive through the other cars. and they've tried to make it a bit mmo, a big forzathon live thing comes up and everyone drives over to it and do challenges, it was quite cool, but don't see me doing that very often. oh and having more prizes/wheelspins for upping the difficulty on some events was cool, as usually i play on easy, although winning hats backfires on this a bit.

i feel bad being a bit negative about these games because the important stuff is so good, it just annoys me that a few small changes would make the game amazing for everyone, not just people who enjoy all that stuff that i hate.

and having moaned about the dances/hats and stuff...i do like my characters hat, and the fact that they are constantly robot dancing.

45 minutes ago, spatular said:

as usually i play on easy

Oh my days.... get the fuck out of here!😂😂

Where's the fun in being in the lead for an entire race after the first bend, plus you don't even need to win the races to progress.... but whatever floats your boat I guess.

1 minute ago, Nag said:

Where's the fun in being in the lead for an entire race after the first bend, plus you don't even need to win the races to progress.... but whatever floats your boat I guess.

well exactly, i think the AI is crap/not fun to race against and prefer time trials so being in the lead suits me just fine. but that's not the point really, people should be able to play on whatever difficulty/settings thay want.

And you are... like i said, whatever floats your boat.

2 hours ago, Nag said:

Oh my days.... get the fuck out of here!😂😂

1 hour ago, Nag said:

And you are... like i said, whatever floats your boat.

I've finished the 3 hour long "tutorial" and have opened up the game proper now, so everything is online, all the dudes racing  past you in the hub world are real dudes.

I've therefore unlocked the Forza Life stuff. On the hour every hour is a #FORZATHONLIFE thing happens somewhere on the map, a big pink dot appears and you all rush to it. Then you spend the next 15 minutes or so doing Burnout Paradise style challenges like gaining a certain amount of air time, drift distance, that sort of thing but all contributing toward a fixed total.

There's an absolute ton of stuff to do. It drip feeds you at first but my map is now littered with activities. It;s currently Summer in game and I have seasonal races and seasonal barn finds. There are also daily, weekly and seasonal challenges to do. I'm having a pretty damn good time with it.

A bit of ribbing @spatular... I didn't think you were so precious.

Accept my heartfelt apologies.

6 minutes ago, Nag said:

I didn't think you were so precious.

That apology would have sounded genuine if it werent for that bit.

It's genuine either way, I wouldn't of posted it otherwise McCuntyfuck!

I’ve not played this but difficulty in driving games is always really difficult to get right for me.

I don’t want it to be so easy that I’m out in front the entire race but I don’t want it to be difficult that I’m still sweating on getting in the top 3 for the entire race and only just scrape it on the last corner.

The best compromise I settle on is usually a middle ground where I get in the top 3 by the final lap and have a chance of getting 1st by the end. That keeps me on my toes slightly but it never gets frustrating so I have to restart races or anything.

That's a pretty fair assessment @Blakey, I'm the same... I don't want to run away with the race but I also don't want the race to be over if I fuck up one corner, it's nice to feel like you've worked for a win (in my opinion). Pretty certain my Drivatars (still hate that name) are set at highly skilled but I run some driving aids when I race.

I've just completed the "year" long tutorial so I'm in the game proper now, in Summer. Noticed that Halo themed series popped up on the map so that's my first port of call when I'm back on.

IMG_4481fb02-3a6a-4a6b-a85d-a53c81cdef0d.png

I fucking love my RS Turbo!...

Has a Forza game ever had good AI? I was impressed with the first couple at the time but that’s going back some. Spatular plays and destroys on most driving games I think so I can imagine why unlocking hats and dances (🤦🏻‍♂️) might feel like a step in the wrong direction for a driving game about being the best driver and having a nice car collection.

But then again the point of Horizon is that it’s an accessible arcade racer, the fortnite of racing games, and not a sim and people need to feel like they’re earning something, anything, after every race. 

Earning a brand new car after every race would be pretty much just as pointless as earning a brand new beany, when you're up to the stage of racing Lamborghini's, Ferrari's and Porsche's winning a brand new Honda Civic isn't gonna raise your pulse.

The Avatar and lifestyle (buying houses) parts of the game can be ignored completely if you choose, although I quite like having my lady prancing around the car on the winning screen.

As for AI, it's as good as I remember DriveClub being and a damn sight better than Gran Turismo was when I last played it... How is good driving AI defined anyway?

I used to find it odd that @spatular played on easy, then saw his times on the various racing games we've both owned and played against him online on drive club and got destroyed, so I think his methods are sound. 

Depends what you trying to accomplish, I suppose... I hate time trials so it's no good for me.👍

I probably was playing the mainline Forza Motorsport games wrong when I played them. I spent more time in the livery editor than driving the cars, and most of my driving time was alone on a circuit pushing for my best laptimes.