passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Spider-Man

spatular

The confusion with the controls is natural cause the game heaps too much on you out of the gate, oddly then it fails to add much more in the way of interesting mechanics later on. It's all a bit lopsided.

Miles seems a bit better, it has zappy powers.

I think the enjoyment with the game's combat comes more from the mobility than the walloping. You can use the web slinging during combat and it's basically a secret grappling hook in certain situations. There's also a really cool section or two where they use the slinging to give you combat arenas with lots of fun verticality

But when you're on the ground just doing the Batman style of fighting it's very generic, but so is the Batman combat. It doesn't always leverage the obvious potential of the character to do all that cool stuff, but that's cause it's hard to design levels like that all the time I suppose

My favourite way to play the game is to try beat entire groups of enemies without touching the ground. You can punch a guy twice and then jump to stay in the air, then web yank another fool off the floor and keep going. 

It’s a really fun combo of being in the air, throwing someone on the ground, webbing them to the floor so they’re beat, web yanking someone else, punch twice and jump to stay in the air, try do it again. It’s fun.

Also when attacking groups who haven’t spotted you yet. Using the web bomb, then immediately following it with the X+Square move and blow them in to the environment and taking out 4-10 guys at a time.

The combat in this game is a bit messy. Sometimes when Spidey dodges he dodges straight into another guy’s punch and things like that. But overall I love the combat in this game and the more wild and uncontrollable it gets the more I like it. 

One of the things I hope they introduce in the sequel is more air combat. I want to fight more bad guys in the air. That should be really fun. 

Thanks guys. Looks like I’m playing it wrong. I was mostly doing ground combat with some swinging of items thrown in but as soon as a gun came into play I was getting murdered easily. I agree too that it throws a lot of controls at you and that’s always confusing to me. 

I’ll persevere. 

Spider-Man was a weird one for me too, tried it on PS4, enjoyed it but didn’t understand the hype at all and fell off pretty quickly. It actually took Miles for me to ‘get’ it. Don’t know what it is about that one but I found it just clicked a lot quicker.

Completed that and returned to the original (on PS5 mind) and adored it. Totally understood the hype at that point. I just felt I understood the feel of the game better. keep at it, hopefully the same happens. Or do what I did, try Miles first and then go back. Don’t worry about the story, it didn’t ruin my enjoyment of the original at all, still didn’t know the actual plot points.

& yea, use the verticality and web swinging to your advantage in battles, don’t just stick to the ground level, it’s nowhere near as fun. 

I’ve put more time into this and I think I’m done. Again. It’s just so boring. The fighting is boring. The swinging is a great mechanic but quickly becomes a boring chore when they intentionally make the next thing to do a million meters away. The parts of you having to swing after something until the game decides you can catch up to it pisses me off in open world games. The qte’s are unnecessary distraction from you not really doing anything. The constant quips and awful lines make me roll my eyes.

Maybe it gets better the more you do but right now every time it introduces something new it’s just a tired old open world trope.

I might play more some day. I might not. 🤷‍♂️ It’s a shame really because I really enjoyed second son. I think I platinum it. But now with this, 2 and then wolverine I’m unlikely to bother with more insomniac games if they’re all like this. I would like to try Sunset Overdrive some day tho. 

Spoiler

I’m an idiot. SS was SP 😅and I’ve not enjoyed any of insomniacs games I’ve played.

I never enjoyed any of their games until this to be honest. This game still has issues for me with the collectibles and side missions being just dull cookie-cutter PS2-era type nonsense but it's the swinging and story that carried it for me, for all intents and purposes it's a 6 or 7/10 game but the story boosts it up to an 8 as it is truly sublime and one of the very best Peter Parker Spidey story interpretations told across all media in my view. 

That's why Miles Morales is by far the better game for me, the story is just as good as this but the game is smaller, shorter, tighter and more concise with a lot of the 'fat' trimmed off so to speak. 

I hope they make a lot of improvements to Spidey 2 in the collectible/side-mission department in particular, Wolverine will be a complete departure so I've no idea what to expect from that yet. 

Sunset Overdrive is a great game but it's the traversal and joy of exploring the city that are it's strengths, the collectibles, side missions and story are all pretty poor but it's the feeling of making it to that next point on the map which makes it so good.

Sunset Overdrive was really overlooked because of how bad the Xbox sales and reputation were at the time. Not that Sunset Overdrive is some masterpiece, I actually think Spider-Man is better, but it was still a cool, traversal-first open world game that didn't get a fair shake. 

13 hours ago, bellow said:

I've had that downloaded for ages, but someone on here said it was shite so I never played it. And I've been a major Insomniac fan for years.

Before I played it I thought it was shite based on a reviewer I trusted giving it a 6/10 around when it came out but then years later I played it and it's fucking brilliant.

• 2 years later...

Got myself the ps5 version of this and have already completed the main campaign and am on the second dlc. I'm sort of giving over this year to replaying my PS4 games (surprisingly few) and then moving on to the new ones that I didn't get to play. So I've done god of war and now this and you have to admit the quality of Sony's first party stuff is way up there, tho effing thin in the ground 

And I'm enjoying my first go at the dlc which has upped the difficulty somewhat and must have been a pain in the arse for people who bought it having not play the game for several months. For me though it's rather fair since I've completely maxed out all gadgets and have gone straight on to it.