passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2

ThreeFour

It was a lot easier than those revelations games, I thought. But then I thought they were a bit too hard at times, even with the dodge button.

I was still pretty scared though. And quite happy when the bosses went down sooner than I thought they were going to. (So the opposite of the bosses in revelations!)

I think hardcore mode is plenty hard enough tbh. The whole thing also with ink ribbons is to make you worry about their scarcity and have more opportunities to make fatal mistakes that send you back 20 or 30 mins or so. Or waste more ammo trying to avoid having that happen to you. I used every shotgun shell I had on hardcore mode and mostly just cause I didn't want to take any risks being clever about how I killed zombos. Turning their heads into a popped grape was my go-to problem solver a lot of the time

I didn't find the save rooms overly close either. It's a small environment full of bottlenecks. On hardcore more it turns into being like going on a mini expedition from one end of the station to the other when you can't kill everything and are forced to maim/disable zombies rather than blowing their heads off. I take the piss with the knife stuff but I do think the game is balanced around not having a knife all the time and I can see why they break so easily from a game logic standpoint. You find yourself forced to weave your way around limbless zombos which can still catch you very easily when you're not careful.

My loadout for the last boss on hardcore is on one of these pages but other than magnum rounds I was fairly skint for ammo. Turns out the game just throws ammo at you at the end anyway so it doesn't matter, but for the previous 90% of the game you do feel that struggle. Not to a point that it ruins the game but enough that it reminds you of when you were bad at Resident Evil, which I quite liked

I've also noticed graphics problems. The reflections are weird and sometimes the lights look like they are phasing out of existence. On Ps4 pro

A friend of mine completed the game recently [on Hardcore] and he said the only room he felt needed to be cleared out was the Library. As it was more or less the hub for that side of the station. Every other zombie based room was SOP of crippling leg shots. He did say he wishes the 'A' and 'B' campaign idea of the original had been given to the separate characters in REmake 2 instead. Which sounds like it would have been a very interesting angle to pursue from New Game.

Played more today, don't have too much time to go into detail but I've now encountered Mr X and a certain other shadowy character.

Absolutely loving it. Fully expected it to end once I'd found everything in the Police station but the events after that really kept me guessing, love the change of locales and can't wait to see what happens next. Having no knowledge of the OG games' plot is paying off in spades.

I turned off the shitty film grain filter and things have improved exponentially, I think most of the pics below are still with it on though:

Spoiler

883710_20190227175133_1.png883710_20190227174501_1.png883710_20190227175545_1.png883710_20190227175750_1.png

883710_20190227172720_1.png

883710_20190227174604_1.png

883710_20190227175407_1.png

11 hours in to Leon A now. 

I've reached the Lab and have made a little bit of progress here. Heard lots of negativity on Podcasts and stuff about the Sewers but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, admittedly it's not as much of a visual feast as the Police Station was and it's a bit more of a tried and true 'game area' similar to a Warehouse or Industrial Complex etc. But I still really enjoyed all the interlocking rooms, going through and making sure I'd gotten everything and the swamp figures you have to dodge. I absolutely loved the moment I realised the sewers were connected to the Police Station though, I had an audible 'wow' moment when I realised where I was after going up in the lift. I did forget to pick up all the Chess Pieces in the Monitor Room which meant it stayed red but oh well, I know I got everything else out of that room and I won't be using those figures for anything else on this run I wouldn't of thought.

I didn't really rate that boss fight against eye-guy (again) though, it was just annoying having to hammer a button, try to get him to stay in one place and then hammer it again. I did get the knack of it eventually though. I did feel like the formula was rubbing off a little bit when I entered the lab area, I felt like I was going through the motions and the game wasn't keeping me on my toes as much but then the rainforest creatures appeared and I had one room where 2 Licker's jumped me and it felt new and hostile again. Since complaining about the difficulty before it has definitely ramped up quite a bit where I rarely feel safe now. The lab area really reminds me of the Nostromo of Alien and the creatures here give me Dead Space vibes.

So another utterly engrossing few hours. I do kind of feel like the game should be winding down now? But it keeps on trucking, don't think I have too much longer left though.

Just one pic of the lab (location spoiler but nothing else):

Spoiler

883710_20190228171056_1.png

Finished Leon’s Campaign today, took me about 12 hours according to Steam

7AE23561-46F0-4FE8-BB3B-35B2007983CF.png

Made on a start on Claire B.

What has shocked me the most is how much harder it is. Right off the bat my back was against the wall, ammo was scarce and I was having to leg it in between save points trying to avoid Mr. X. Completely different to the somewhat sedate nature of Leon’s A Campaign where you could settle in awhile at the Police Station.

But yeah, I’m still loving it. Just beat eyeball guy for the first time and met xxxxx. Will continue on Monday.

I’m now about 6 hours into Claire’s B Campaign.

After defeating eyeball guy I really enjoyed the bit stumbling around the parking garage and the story beats here, going to some of the places that were closed off in Leon’s Campaign. For some reason there was a ridiculous amount of Licker’s here though?! But with the Grenade Launcher they were easy enough to see off. 

Once I got back into the Police Station things got back into a familiar rhythm though, I still loved exploring the unseen areas and the Office area you find yourself in when you return was fantastic and a real feast for the eyes. Unfortunately after awhile I just got back in a familiar rhythm of backtracking to find all red rooms on the map and then going through some of the same puzzles again to get the Parking Garage Token.

It was still good, don’t get me wrong but I just felt like I was on autopilot really, going through the motions rather than being particularly amazed, scared or thrilled. I just don’t really find the game scary either really, the Lickers creep me out a bit but the Zombies do nothing, I think the Mould from RE7 - as generic as they are - freaked me out quite a bit more, that game scared me far more than this too at times.

I have continuity issues at times too. Some things there are elements of Leon having been there or done something in a certain part of the Station but others I have to repeat the exact same actions? Like the Medallions at the start, getting the electrical parts from the Clock Tower, the Cop Car boot in the Parking lot etc. I don’t get why I had to fight eyeball guy again either? Surely he should’ve fucked off after Leon battered him? Even if Leon faces him after Claire then why is it the exact same fight? Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Spoiler

I will say though there was an ingenious moment in the interrogation room. When you’re with Leon you’re on the other side of it and the window has a massive hole through it and there’s a dead Licker on the floor. In Claire’s playthrough the window is untouched and you’re like ‘hang on...’ then the Licker jumps out and smashes the window.

I also thought the Orphanage sections were genius, it reminded me a lot of RE7 but was such a nice change of pace. The bits when you get out of the Station and are walking the streets of Raccoon City are great too, it’s just a bit of a shame that I’m back in the sewers now.

More pics:

2D66920E-2792-491B-8DE2-68151451031E.png

1A3A38E4-99B9-4E40-9503-D3D9CD2A1E94.png

1BCA2309-E913-43B2-BD2A-A46BD29C51DE.png