MFGamers

Tomb Raider

wholehole

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Started this. First impressions, boobs. :)

First impressions of the game, well, that cave escape had more QTEs than The Walking Dead, if somehow possible. Hopefully there are less of them in the main game. I've had a poor record with action-adventure games this gen, abandoning Assassin's Creed 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum. One of the things that irritated me in those games was the eagle vision or detective eye or whatever it was called. I mean, imagining creating a world as beautiful as that of Assassin's Creed 2 and then asking the player to flick to a different view every five seconds so he could spot some gimmicky collectible. Gaming doesn't need that shit. So obviously, Tomb Raider has one of these. I hope it isn't too irritating.

It's certainly a stunning looking game. The graphics outside are incredible. So far, the game has a Walking Dead feel. I'm hoping for a good linear adventure with the gimmicks kept to a minimum.

Yeah this has been great so far. I've reached the campsite where you reunite with your team and then the archeologist guy sticks with you and the rest separate. Along the way I've been collecting relics, documents, GPS cache's and I've started the Ghost Hunter challenge for shooting down those totems that dangle from trees. I love the atmosphere in the game, and the Japanese setting which is a nice surprise. In the tunnel you pass through connecting the first forest area with this one, there were a few signs with strings of kanji on them but my Japanese wouldn't be good enough to read them. Interesting though.

Surprisingly the game is being a serious tease with achievements. Isn't there an obligatory 5g for watching the opening credits? Still sitting on 0/1000.

I think over 200g is tied up in multiplayer... Which is shit and I hope to god it's dropped in the sequel.

Not really a spoiler but there's a point of no return in the game, up until then you can fast travel and backtrack for collectables and challenges as much as you like... So don't kill yourself trying to get all the collectables first time through an area.

Good to know but I can't help it anyway. Currently have 85% in the Coastal Forest area, missing the treasure map and three totem signs. It would be easier if it was daylight. I've explored the area around the shack numerous times and cannot find anything new. The only thing I'm curious about is the rope tied around a tree but I can't seem to interact with it yet. Now that I have a gun I should be able to kill the wolves easily so I might check out that section again.

I'm now in the mountain area and have found the treasure map straight away which is handy! Curiously enough there is also something ignitable in the waterfall cave so I'm guessing I'll be able to create fire at some stage...

When I loaded my game it was daylight so I went back and explored some more. I found the treasure map on the high platform in the Coastal Forest and two more skull totems. That brought me to 9/10 and 96% for that area. I caved and looked up the locations online of all the totem pieces and the one I was missing was under the low bridge in the second area. That gave me 100% and the achievement "Unfinished Business" for completing my first challenge. After that 100%ing the Mountain Temple area was a cinch. Now I'm in the Mountain Village which seems like a more open area.

Honestly this game is great. The extra efforts they go to with the lore reminds me of Mass Effect. And the explorations reminds me of Zelda and Okami. Although to be fair Okami came into my head as soon as Amaterasu was mentioned! And you would have to say Resident Evil 4 is an influence. All in all, good company to be in.

Also the environmental concept art you unlock is stunning.

Reached Base Camp, Mountain Village is 40% complete so far. Along the way I've picked up the climbing hook and explored my first hidden tomb. Some of the relics on the map seem to have lock signs on them - is that the game's way of telling you you can't reach them yet? Around half way up the mountain that leads to base camp, there was a door tied with rope with two statues outside it. I noticed when I was exploring that area second time that the doors had opened for some reason (moving ahead in the story?) so I went through to explore that area. I jumped around and found a few things but I think I need a new gadget to explore this area fully, this area has a lot of ropes and tree stumps, I'm guessing at some point I'll be able to connect the ropes and tree stumps, or something along those lines. Anyway, for now I'm going to continue with the story.

• 10 months later...

Stayed up to late playing this thinking I was coming towards the end

freeing the gang from the caverns and trying to escape in the helicopter

Just checked on a guide and I'm only about two thirds of the way through.

That whole sequence was something that most games would climax with, so can't wait to see how it does end. I'm really enjoying this. At first i found it revealed in Lara's misery and suffering a bit to much, but what it does do (which Uncharted never managed) is to give her motivation behind all the killing, and makes her journey into slight madness quite believable.

It also controls fantastically.

• 4 weeks later...

Reached Base Camp, Mountain Village is 40% complete so far. Along the way I've picked up the climbing hook and explored my first hidden tomb. Some of the relics on the map seem to have lock signs on them - is that the game's way of telling you you can't reach them yet? Around half way up the mountain that leads to base camp, there was a door tied with rope with two statues outside it. I noticed when I was exploring that area second time that the doors had opened for some reason (moving ahead in the story?) so I went through to explore that area. I jumped around and found a few things but I think I need a new gadget to explore this area fully, this area has a lot of ropes and tree stumps, I'm guessing at some point I'll be able to connect the ropes and tree stumps, or something along those lines. Anyway, for now I'm going to continue with the story.

12 months later I came back to it. Couldn't figure out how to climb back up to Base Camp but I knew I had reached it somehow the last time, so I checked if I could fast travel to it and I could, thankfully! I have a feeling the first time there must have been a rope bridge at the top of the waterfall that collapsed or something.

Anyway, I got caught in the spotlight at base camp so I ended up sprinting through the area past all the enemies, and that took me to a second area where I worked my way past the enemies and eventually picked up a submachine gun. Yipee-ki-yay, as they say. Now I'm out in a snowy area and I have to climb to the top of the radio tower.

• 3 months later...

Finally finished this today. Thought it was really great, does a better job of being Uncharted than Uncharted. Finished with 91% complete. Might us a guide to mop up the unmapped collectables. Pretty much upgraded everything and 100% the skill tree. Really looking forward to Rise when it finally lands on ps4. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

E3 2018 gave me the kick up the arse I needed to get this on. Not played much but what I have played has been good. Had a windows update that happened on the but that resulted in Lara getting squished. #justmasterracethings

Looks pretty good on PC with everything on ultra.

ve3VIHR.jpg

aFOXbke.jpg

That should give you some idea to where I am in the game. Enjoying it overall, but there's a few bits in it that felt a bit off. Might just be that I'm playing a game that's o,d enough to be in school now. The tunnel bits reminded me of the stuff I hated about Uncharted 2, yep, it's a spectacle, but it's not very fulfilling to play. Rest of the game feels great though.

I tell you what though. Lovely hair physics.

I did notice that whenever you hang upside down in those set pieces the physic don't cut in then. Might have been a gameplay decision because I could see it get in the way of what you're meant to be shooting at.