passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tomb Raider

wholehole

Played a few hours and it's been very, very good. It's very much another game that's taken more than a few pages from Uncharted's playbook, except it switches a wise-cracking protagonist for someone much more vulnerable and insecure. Well, at least to start with anyway.

I've always loved the Tomb Raider series, the original TR was the first ever game I bought for the PS1 and I played it to death, but the series was massively in need of a complete reboot. They've done a fantastic job with this game and the character. Lara is almost unrecognisable from her hotpants wearing, confident predecessor. I say almost as they decided to stick with her two most distinguishing features for some reason. Cans ^_^.

The sections where you squeeze through a gap or are only able to progress forwards are probably the most elegant way of disguising a load screen I can think of. It's totally seamless and in some case even adds to the experience by allowing Lara time to express how she's feeling.The same goes for the logs she records at some of the base camps, only a few lines of dialogue, but it adds so much.

Each area seems to have a discreet sub-objective like smash 10 lanterns or burn 5 banners, and they only activate once you hit the first thing, you're not notified about it otherwise. I can see myself spending a chunk of time completing these as well as picking up all the collectables dotted around.

I tried turning on the new TressFX hair technology but it looks a bit weird tbh. It also hits the framerate pretty hard in certain situations. It's a cool idea as game hair usually looks pretty rubbish, but it definitely needs tweaking a bit before making it standard.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm coming to the end of it now. I've found a camp that said you can't fast travel past this point so I assume something big is going down soon.

But I've not gone on and I have gone back and set out to collect everything. thanks to the skills you can unlock improving your instinct skills I can see treasure through walls and stuff so 100%-ing it should be easy enough. Gotta say, though, I'm fairly disappointed in the amount of optional tombs there is as they are pretty cool but going back to see I found I just missed one, and I think I only did about four or five. It does look like they will add more with DLC, which I'll probably buy, but still, I would have liked more of that.

It's annoying that it does such a good job with the action early on, like it contextualises pretty well, but then you unlock dumb shit like shotgunning someone in the throat and sticking a climbing ax in someones skull, which really devalues the tone of the game that others have set. Someone at Crystal Dynamics needs a fucking slap.

When this year began I assumed Dead Space 3 would be my personal GOTY. I hadn't even thought much about Tomb Raider at all, but I'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more than any of DS3.

I agree with what you said about the optional tombs, DC. I'm more than willing to buy more as DLC, but it could've done with more of them in general.

I think there are 7 optional tombs DC.

I've played this for about 4 hours, really enjoying the single player, it really just throws you in there straight away, action packed as hell.

Are you guys using most weapons? I always find myself using the bow unless the enemy has a shield.

I've tried the multiplayer mode, it really is quite awful and really unbalanced. I might play it a little bit more but single player is where this game is really at.

Are you guys using most weapons? I always find myself using the bow unless the enemy has a shield.

I'm channeling Mark Nutt the whole way, unless the game forces a gun on me, feels more survival-y. Plus, It is the Year of the Bow after all.

Currently taking a break from the story and heading back through previous areas to clear up some of the collectables. I'm doing it more to waste time as I really don't want this to end.

Only played the first couple of hours, footie on the tele and all that, and blimey its good!! , must be the best game ive played in ages!! Its very uncharted like just without all the extra bad guys and ammo everywhere.Looking forward to a bit more of this later today, im guessing theres no snow level??

I came on to post about this being potential GOTY material and i'm glad that seems to be the common consensus, its truly a brilliant game. Some guy says to Lara fairly early on "just keep moving" and thats spot on, the action is super fluid and you do just have to keep moving forward. I love the way she jumps, long and controllable, just right for this sort of platforming. The shooting and fighting is spot on, really well done although the enemies do take a few too many bullets for my liking.

Lara has extra rubbery bones, by fuck she's taken a beating in this game and has fallen from a cringe worthy distance many times and is absolutely fine but when the game is this good I can forgive such sillyness.

Multiplayer: tacked on crap. Really unnecessary and an obvious reason to make over priced, bad DLC for. Some of the maps I've played are truly terrible.

This is one of those games every one should give a go.

This is really good actually, was fully expecting it to be crap, only played about an hour or so in two sittings so far but its great. Playing that first hidden tomb with the little plane in it reminded me so much of playing a demo of the first tomb raider on PC that i got from PC Gamer back in the day

Oof, thats weird.

:lol:

I still haven't finished this don't you know. I still love it but Ive gone all OCD on the collectables, especially since DC said he's polished them all off so now I have to do it.

I still think the enemies take far too many bullets to kill them and I'm only playing on Normal, fuck knows what it takes to get them down on Hard. I guess that's why headshots rule.

I'm on the beach which is a lovely little hub. Killed a crab, got an achievement. Life eh?