passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

AndyKurosaki

I think what you’re describing is Hell and Hell? 

I did the one hit thing on DmC and it was super easy. Took like 4 hours to finish the game. I never went for the Hell and Hell though, that’s just punishment for the sake of it 

DMD is a blast so far. Gets me kind of emotional playing a game in 2019 which has this difficulty scaling magic. Where everything changes not just because it's harder but because you are doing things you couldn't do before to keep up with it. Reaching for this ultra instinct state.

That was the thing which really disappointed me with GoW 2018. Its harder modes ruined the game with their terrible damage scaling (enemies were tanks, Kratos was mush) and the combat systems tho good weren't built for multiple difficulties. I say that even though I love that game. But it just isn't this game right here, the one I really wanted. Where the learning never stops. Endless action. With bad camera angles.

Didn't think much of this fight on normal and SoS, but on DMD it's great fun. Post game nero spoilers.

Spoiler

I love that you can rev the sword during the buster grab. The game doesn't tell you that, you're just supposed to work it out

Up to Mission 13 now, 10 hours in.

Dante is a ton of fun. I experimented with his styles at the start but as soon as I combined Trickster with Balrog everything just seemed to click and I was getting S/SS ranks with relative ease pretty much every fight so I won't be changing it up much. It's just a ton of fun. Dante does feel like he's got the whole kitchen sink at his disposal and being able to combine all the weapons and play-styles together would be incredibly satisfying but it's a bit beyond my skill level at the moment - I feel I could get there but would have to practice for sometime in the Void.

Things have come together way better than I was expecting with the story too. I hadn't seen much of the story trailers and what I had seen hadn't made much sense to someone who's only played about 3 hours of DMC total before 5 but yeah it starts off really confusing but is pretty fantastic how it all fits together around the half-way point, certain questions have been answered already and now it seems as if I'm going towards a new goal. 

A pic:

601150_20190312172753_1.png

Those figures are for Japanese physical sales only though, so it's probably comparative to 4 when you take digital into consideration. 

It's absolutely killing it on Steam at the minute, and looking at active users is projected to have sold well over 3 million copies opening weekend. 

It's Capcom's second biggest seller on PC (Monster Hunter World is still the king), and it debuted at number 1 in the UK and Japanese game charts. 

Then you just need to look at the total sales for all previous DMC games

image.png

Those Steam sales alone are on par with total sales of previous games, so when the console sales figures get released DMC 5 will most likely be the most successful one in the series. 

It's doing fine. 

Finished this earlier. Took me 14 hours.

I ended up really enjoying it. The story is probably what surprised me the most, it was actually surprisingly decent. I’d always kind of zoned out before whenever anyone would bring up DMC’s timeline or anything and had never really warmed to Dante et al. But I grew to love all the cast quite a bit by the end, even the villains were really cool and multifaceted.

It started off super slow and confusing but once things get to the halfway point everything comes together in a satisfying way and then the run up to the conclusion doesn’t mess about and it’s all over before you know it without pussy footing about.

I have to say I thought the level design was actually way better than I expected. I saw a lot of reviews list it as a major negative but I never really had any issues with it, even the tree-root levels (of which there are many to be fair) never grew old to me as they were always a little bit different than one another in some way that kept things feeling fresh and varied enough throughout those sections. The way the London-esque cityscape weaved into the roots was really well done as well I thought.

But yeah the combat is definitely the meat of the pie and it is fucking amazing once you get used to everything enough and unlock a certain number of skills, weapons etc. I never in a million years thought I’d get an SSS rank but I did earlier with Dante!

Never in a million years did I ever think I’d rate this over RE2 before this year began either, but here we are. DMC5 is just way more fun than RE2 overall.