passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

AndyKurosaki

I'd say more a Swiss army knife.

I'm halfway through Son of Sparda. Cavalier Angelo is wrecking me. SoS is making me learn so much more stuff and some of the problems I had on the first time (level design) are being eclipsed by how great it feels to fight stuff

I'm so happy with how this turned out. It's so mechanically dense. Never expected something like this to be made in this day and age and get reviewed well too.

It has its problems but it nails the parts of DMC that really matter and it feels like such a great capstone to 1,3 and 4 with the right kinds of callbacks which don't feel like pure pandering. The series feels complete now.

On 09/03/2019 at 23:49, one-armed dwarf said:

Nero is slow and deliberate. It's on purpose because of the exceed system (pressing L2 at the end of attacks to light the sword up) so fast attacks aren't his thing as the timing would be really difficult.

I never even knew what the Exceed system did properly before I read this post ? 

I just finished off 3 more missions. I feel like I'm definitely more comfortable with Nero now, I can formulate a strategy based on go-to combos going into a battle and got quite a few moves I can put to decent effect. I'm usually getting As and Bs with most encounters - apart from bosses - with him.

With V though I was completely adrift at the beginning. I felt like I had to kind of re-order my brain and muscle memory on-the-fly from what I'd gotten used to from Nero, the buttons are similar for the bird and jaguar but positioning and dodging are way more important. I have to say I never quite got the hang of him, failing to both of his bosses on the two missions I played as him, when you're in the heat of battle I just find it so frustrating to get both demons to target a specific boss appendage or enemy. I thought I was pressing the right buttons but both demons would often not hit their mark when I input some attack commands. So it was a frustrating experience overall, I do think if you get V dancing and dodging with the demons hitting their marks along with the devil trigger he is incredibly fun and such a visual spectacle but it just hasn't quite come together yet.

I think the depth of the combat system is fantastic. At the same time though I've kind of thought about putting it on Automatic combos because I just don't care about the minutiae of all the specific button presses sometimes, I also cannot seem to get the timing down of some moves, V's explodey thing that the Jaguar demon does says to hold Y but when I do that it hardly ever works? I've no idea what I'm doing wrong.

But yeah, I am enjoying it a little bit more now but it still feels a bit aimless, pointless and strangely dull a lot of the time, I have found myself getting bored when outside combat. But the combat makes up for the poor mission/level design quite a bit but I'm still not exactly gagging to go back to it and feel that I can only play a set number of missions per day before clocking out.

More pics:

Spoiler

601150_20190310171131_1.png

601150_20190310180858_1.png

601150_20190310174652_1.png

601150_20190310172218_1.png

Just starting mission 4.

It's funny, considering how cynical I've been about this I've got to hold my hands up and say I was wrong, this game is great. Even that fucking Devil Trigger song works when it's in the game, I guess it was just a terrible performance during the Game Awards last year. 

I died to the first boss because I wasn't using my Devil Breaker's properly, I didn't realise until mission 3 that you have to use them without holding down R1, I just thought I had a grabby Devil Breaker equipped. Nope. That's the default grabby. 

I've been playing a lot of Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls lately (and when I say a lot I mean a lot courtesy of my new youtube channel ) so I keep getting the controls confused and exploding my Devil Breakers. 

My only complaint is I just wish dodging was better, but again I think it's because I've been playing a lot of the From Soft games. 

Anyway, time to see ho V plays. 

Starting mission 7 now so quickly reaching the half way point. 

Done a couple of missions as V and he walks a weird line between fun and boring. I've found it possible to pretty much button mash my way through the V fights and come out with A - SSS which is fun at first but get's kinda dull. And Griffon sounds like Iago from Aladdin.

It's definitely the most accessible game in the series and feels a lot easier than the other ones. 

I reckon I'll have this finished tomorrow. 

That last one is amazing. I don’t think I understand RG in this game. I can imagine why it’s useful to block attacks and open up enemies, but I can’t imagine what else you would combine it with for super cool shit

When the end boss does the delayed slash down and dash attack are you supposed to RG that and whoop it after? It seems that way from watching it 

RG is about storing energy and releasing it. You can do that with a generic punch like in that gif. Or you use it as a counterattack and time it the same as a guard and unleash more energy

I think I did the thing you mention in my fight against that guy? 1:30 minutes in . The whole fight is very RG heavy but my timings are bad cause it's a new game for me

There's a few releases in there but none with perfect timing. Still deals obscene damage tho

Spoiler

Fun fact about RG is that you can lengthen the timing to get a perfect block by jumping at the same time. The jump i-frames extend it. It's an easy cheese that's existed since dmc3

With regards to combining it with other stuff almost everything can be cancelled into RG. So there's nothing stopping you from attacking with your sword and then blocking attacks.

Yeah @one-armed dwarf SunhiLegend is a bit of a legend.

Put in about 4 hours today and got up to Mission 10. You know what, I think this has fucking finally clicked for me today. It was in Mission 7 when I was going through the Underground with Nero juggling the new types of dinosaur-like enemies about down there, getting mostly A-S ranks for each particular challenge when I thought to myself 'this is fucking amazing'. I don't know if I've just opened up enough moves now to have a wider arsenal to choose from or that I've just progressively got better with Nero as the game has gone on, but yeah I was loving every second of that Mission and never wanted it to end. Even the bit at the end with the Souls-esque guards I managed to get an S rank on, it was very cool dodging them at the last second then juggling/pulling them up in the air.

Then the next Mission had me go back to V and I was a little bit trepidatious as I did feel quite the affinity with Nero at that point. I looked through the moves list and did seem to have a much better time with V, I unlocked a few more skills and realised I could use the birds' hold x lightning skill which I never even realised I had before. Things came together quite nicely, there was still a few frustrating moments where V's demons wouldn't attack who I wanted them to attack but overall things came together a bit better with V too, just to a lesser extent than Nero.

So up to Mission 10 now, will play as Dante for the first time tomorrow since I tried the original DMC way back in 2001, looking forward to it. 

More pics:

Spoiler

601150_20190311165341_1.png

601150_20190311174609_1.png601150_20190311173958_1.png601150_20190311161922_1.png

601150_20190311155024_1.png601150_20190311155350_1.png

601150_20190311160127_1.png601150_20190311161615_1.png601150_20190311161057_1.png

Finished. 

Weirdly I'm missing two endings ?

I checked online to see how to unlock them and apparently they're part of the Normal Ending and should have just triggered, but they didn't. I have a feeling I had to clear all the enemies during the credits maybe? Ah well, I watched them on YouTube. 

I enjoyed it, but a lot of the story was ruined in the trailers so the impact was lessened, and the last boss was annoying and felt like a Kingdom Hearts boss. Was nice to have some questions from 10 years ago finally answered though. 

I'll pick it up in a sale and play through it again sometime, but I'm in no rush. Really glad to be proved wrong by this one. 

I'm with you on this. 

DMC3 is still the best. I think I actually preferred DmC: Devil May Cry over this one, it just appealed to my angsty 20 something self and I'm a massive Combichrist fan so the soundtrack was perfect to me, and 5 feels like a cross between DmC and 4 so...

If we're sticking with canon though I place it higher than 2 and 4 for sure. 

I say 3 because 5 has weird balance issues. I love using royal guard but I think I'm discovering it's a bit of a crutch, it's just too powerful.

DMC3 is pretty perfect as an action game. Except for gunslinger being a load of rubbish.

Spoiler

I'm also a bit confused as to what the deal is with Vergil. He's like Loki now or something. Just evil when it suits him.

I'm confused with the story in general, it's full of plot holes. The biggest for me being when Dante uses the broken Rebellion to unlock Sin Devil Trigger how did he know about Yamato being used to split a person? V only told Trish that's what happened, and Dante wasn't there. Also if Dante knew V was a part of Vergil why did he let him go in for the killing blow?

I'm glad it was finally confirmed that Nero was Virgil's son though. And I liked how it tied all the games (not 2) together nicely. Did you read Morrison's notes? They made me want to rewatch the anime but my DVD's are in Leicester.

I haven't seen the anime. Well that's not true I watched one episode and Dante was moping around bars eating ice cream and kind of never kept with it.

There's some weird story stuff for sure but it brought that closure like you said. That was an annoying thing to leave unanswered properly for 11 years.

Anyway that's mission 20 on SoS in the bag, time to start DMD. Thanks to beating SoS I unlocked a skill for Dante that lets him use all his weapons at once if he wants. You can also choose to equip no weapons at all. Someone will turn that into a challenge run I'm sure.